Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2015 11:19:15 AM EDT
I am pretty pissed at S&W leaving early gen M&P owners high and dry.  I own am early production M&P45C with the 1/16 sear spring and plunger.  S&W has updated all of this to 1/8th but will no longer sell parts to upgrade old pistols.  They are happy for my to send my pistol to PC for "tuning", but no other help beyond that.  Even at PC they said they wouldnt upgrade the block for me.  Which leaves me with the inability to install APEX kits for reliable function and no source for parts.  

I have checked all around and updated sear housing seem to be like ghosts in the wind.  Most either on back order for the last 6+ months or disconnected at midway, brownells, speed shooters, etc.  I am a pretty loyal M&P fan, but this really just pisses me off.

As of now I have a pistol that I like but with a shitty 8lb trigger.  My best bet right now seems to sell my current pistol as used and buy a new version.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't the sear housing be modified to fit the larger parts?
View Quote

It can...APEX used to offer this service, but they no longer do because of numerous issues.  But according to them it is difficult as the hole has to be moved to fit the larger parts.  And you cannot get reference measurements from S&W.  I dont have a new version to use for comparison.  It is a $20 sear housing.  Way cheaper just to sell it to customers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/162687_Looking_for_a_mandp_sear_block.html.    I seen quite a few around for the 45 and cheaper than mine ebay has a few also
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Save it for GD...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You mean the company that supported Clinton's assult ban doesn't care about you?

Never owned a Smith and never will.
View Quote
First off, that S&W was owned by the Brits. The current S&W is not them. They're owned by Safe-T-Hammer. The company that invented the Hillary Hole.

Secondly, S&W customer service blows and so does their quality control. I owned an early production 45 M&P but it sucked. The S&W of today is cashing in on nostalgia of a bygone era. They are a shadow of their former selves.

Two piece barrels, internal firing pins, lawyer locks, etc... their revolvers of today suck. Their M&Ps suck.

Pre lock and 3rd Gens for me please.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/162687_Looking_for_a_mandp_sear_block.html.    I seen quite a few around for the 45 and cheaper than mine ebay has a few also
View Quote

Right now I am hoping that Speed Shooters will see them again.  Ill check ebay too...
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
When mine was brand new (3 years ago??) I had to order parts from two different vendors when I wanted a new sear, sear spring and plunger.  Ordered Glock striker springs for it (they fit, too).

The easy availability of parts just isn't there for these pistols.  But don't worry.  I saw a rumor on the M&P website that S&W may be coming out with a new and improved M&P semi auto pistol soon.

I wanted to like those pistols so bad.  They felt so right in my hand.  After the initial dead trigger problems the 9MM FS gun shot so well, too.  I just got tired of new problems every few months and looked some place else.  After the last round of trouble shooting and parts replacements/tweaking the .357 SIG FS M&P went through 350 rounds without a single issue before I parked it in the safe.  So it may be fixed.  May be.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First off, that S&W was owned by the Brits. The current S&W is not them. They're owned by Safe-T-Hammer. The company that invented the Hillary Hole.  

Secondly, S&W customer service blows and so does their quality control. I owned an early production 45 M&P but it sucked. The S&W of today is cashing in on nostalgia of a bygone era. They are a shadow of their former selves.

Two piece barrels, internal firing pins, lawyer locks, etc... their revolvers of today suck. Their M&Ps suck.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean the company that supported Clinton's assult ban doesn't care about you?

+1, a British company owned S&W when they were cooperating with the Clintons. It brought S&W sales down to a new low to the point where the Brits through the company up for sale at a huge loss. The new S&W has been solid until recently. Their policy about selling parts and CS are terrible. I don't see a S&W in my future because of what I have been reading. Short of it being a warranty issue, there is no way to get them to fix you stuff. They caught hell over someone who had a blown barrel in their 308 AR. S&W refused to sell him a new barrel even at his own expense. After the firestorm, they changed their policy but I the reality is, they may say that they will sell a barrel or fix it but they'll claim they don't have any barrels.

Screw them. The brass in that company sucks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
As much as I like the M&P line, I am really getting fed up with them.  I have a FS 9mm with Apex kit, a 9mm Shield with Apex kit, and the 45C trying to put the apex kit in it.  At some point I may just cut my losses and find another gun for concealed carry that fills the spot of the 45C.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I had really high hope for the M&P series and it sucks. What's worse is S&W of today is now just another shit company run for the high profit margin for next quarter. Yeah, I understand that every company goes into business for that one reason but even then, the drop in customer service and quality will hurt those profit margins.

For me the only poly frame striker fired pistol is still the original plastic fantastic.... Glock. No one can still make a pistol like them. Yes, they've had some hiccups but they fix it and go right back to being kick ass.

For me, S&W is now collector guns. I will only buy used 3rd Gens and Pre-Lock Revolvers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:30:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1, a British company owned S&W when they were cooperating with the Clintons. It brought S&W sales down to a new low to the point where the Brits through the company up for sale at a huge loss. The new S&W has been solid until recently. Their policy about selling parts and CS are terrible. I don't see a S&W in my future because of what I have been reading. Short of it being a warranty issue, there is no way to get them to fix you stuff. They caught hell over someone who had a blown barrel in their 308 AR. S&W refused to sell him a new barrel even at his own expense. After the firestorm, they changed their policy but I the reality is, they may say that they will sell a barrel or fix it but they'll claim they don't have any barrels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buddy of mine and it was a bullshit deal all the way around. He sold the damn gun as soon as it came back. Bunch of assholes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got two rather early production example M&Ps and they've been exemplary so far, but I'm upset to learn that I'm up shit's creek in the event I need certain parts in the future.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a big fan of the M&P's

I have a bunch of them

just google " burwell m&p trigger job PDF "

I've tuned up a bunch of them, including the early types

the sear blocks migrate from " discontinued " to " in stock " at places like Midway and Brownells

click the " notify me when in stock " and order some spares when you can

I've done side by side tests burwell vs. apex and my burwell is a bit smoother

you cant fault S&W for things they don't have in stock

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#14]
So you're upset that you cant find a part in stock, despite waiting how many years to install the kit?  This part update has been well known for years now, and in that time you've had plenty of chances to get the part.

You've been patient this long, the parts will come back in stock.  Sign up for email notifications, or put up a WTB ad.

I've never had an M&P45.

If you can verify that the SHB's are the same as 9 and 45, I'll see if I have a spare large hole one.

OH SHIT, in 30 seconds I found one in stock.....MODS I KNOW THIS USUALLY ISNT KOSHER BUT THE DUDE NEEDS IT....SHB
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So you're upset that you cant find a part in stock, despite waiting how many years to install the kit?  This part update has been well known for years now, and in that time you've had plenty of chances to get the part.

You've been patient this long, the parts will come back in stock.  Sign up for email notifications, or put up a WTB ad.

I've never had an M&P45.

If you can verify that the SHB's are the same as 9 and 45, I'll see if I have a spare large hole one.

OH SHIT, in 30 seconds I found one in stock.....MODS I KNOW THIS USUALLY ISNT KOSHER BUT THE DUDE NEEDS IT....SHB
View Quote

Not the right part, but thanks for looking out.

I'm not upset that the part isnt in stock but once again S&W wants to make special rules and provide crappy customer service.  They will sell me a gun but a sear housing is a restricted part.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Spoke to Speed Shooters, they have a spare stripped housing and are going to send it out to me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#17]
What years does this affect?
I really like my m&p.  I do have a older one with stainless on the slide.
I do not plain on changing anything.
Is this something I need to worry about?
I hate the idea of having to buy a different gun.  
Are other manufactures doing this too?
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have updated my 2013 M&P with all of the most recent parts without an issue... New slide stop and trigger bar made the reset a lot better.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not upset that the part isnt in stock but once again S&W wants to make special rules and provide crappy customer service.  They will sell me a gun but a sear housing is a restricted part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had an M&P45.

According to the description it is.

For the .45, accepts thumb safety parts.......like all the .45's have been.

What did I miss?

Either way glad you got your part.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#20]
The 9/40/357 SHB is different from the 45s.

I sign up for speed shooter specialties email notification for parts I want/might need. If something is out of stock, they usually have it within 3 months. Between brownells, sss and midway, I can usually find any part I need in stock. Sucks stuff isn't in stock all the time, but my guess is they are pumping guns out that fast and don't have a huge pile of extras laying around. You could always call customer service and tell them you had a dead trigger. Not advocating that route, but you probably would have your new part is installed by the factory and back in you ur hands free of charge in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Hell I took a Smith Wesson Armorers course for the M&P pistols back in early August. I still haven't received my credentials...
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Easy, and smoother than even APEX's excellent parts....

http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I installed the flatty trigger in my .45 earlier this year. I luckily found the .45 SHB in stock at brownells. I think that was back in May.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I had one of the M&P's (brand new) that would close the slide if you slammed a mag in hard enough...  I gave up on them when all the fan-boys and S&W themselves tried to make it like like this was a "feature."  Having had experience with other M&P's that didn't have this issue, I in my infinite wisdom concluded that S&W was full of shit and unwilling to admit a design flaw.

Heard "Glocks will do the same thing!!!" several times... funny I can't get any of my 6 to do it even if I slam a mag in on a table.  If a Glock does this you need to replace the slide lock spring.

Get rid of the Wanna-be-Glock and be through with the head-ache.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had one of the M&P's (brand new) that would close the slide if you slammed a mag in hard enough...  I gave up on them when all the fan-boys and S&W themselves tried to make it like like this was a "feature."  Having had experience with other M&P's that didn't have this issue, I in my infinite wisdom concluded that S&W was full of shit and unwilling to admit a design flaw.

Heard "Glocks will do the same thing!!!" several times... funny I can't get any of my 6 to do it even if I slam a mag in on a table.  If a Glock does this you need to replace the slide lock spring.

View Quote

I've had 2 brand new G21's which did that so they must have had weak springs right from the factory. A gen3 SF and a Gen4. Seems to be only the .45 auto flavor having that happen. Heavier cartridge momentum? I've also had it happen with a 1911. Can't get my G17 or G19 to do it.
Sold both but not because of that. Purchased a .45 M&P this past summer. Haven't been able to make the slide go foward yet with a 'mag slam'. I must be in the minority with my M&P.
I actually like the trigger. Guess I got a lemon  
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#26]
There's nothing wrong with the M&P line, but lack of available parts is one of the reasons I don't own them any more.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys are killing me, I've been looking into one of these for about a month. Parts availability seems to suck as does CS from what I read. I tried a Glock 23 for a while but could never shoot it consistent/accurately with it at all. I considered an M&P cuz recently I did an advanced pistol class and put 500rnds through a full size M&P9 without any malfunctions and I was very accurate with it out to 45ft, drawing and ID'ing targets as they were called out in random order. Reloading was easy under "some" "pressure",  as was getting my sight picture back and the trigger seemed decent for factory. Right back where I started.....unsure.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You guys are killing me, I've been looking into one of these for about a month. Parts availability seems to suck as does CS from what I read. I tried a Glock 23 for a while but could never shoot it consistent/accurately with it at all. I considered an M&P cuz recently I did an advanced pistol class and put 500rnds through a full size M&P9 without any malfunctions and I was very accurate with it out to 45ft, drawing and ID'ing targets as they were called out in random order. Reloading was easy under "some" "pressure",  as was getting my sight picture back and the trigger seemed decent for factory. Right back where I started.....unsure.
View Quote

Fear not

the parts are not wearing out.

I run mine hard

The M&P is an excellent pistol

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
Wow 6 whole samples of Glock huh?  I am an instructor for a decent sized agency where the vast majority of handguns are Glock.  The slide going forward when a mag is seated in a Glock is not an uncommon occurrence and a second thought is not even given to it.  It happens with brand new guns as well as well worn ones.  I've also seen it happen with S&W, and Springfield XDs.  As long as the slide going forward chambers a fresh cartridge, who gives a shit?

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I want to love the M&P's, and currently own 6, but I am flat out more accurate with every other 9mm pistol I own.  I have tried a 1 dot barrel, a 2 dot barrel, and a Wilson aftermarket barrel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm glad I never left Glock.  I can't believe how many modifications have been made to the M&P to correct what should have been fixed before it was released.

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm glad I never left Glock.  I can't believe how many modifications have been made to the M&P to correct what should have been fixed before it was released.

View Quote

Whatever

go stare and compare a Glock Gen1 or 2 with a Gen4 sometime

Link Posted: 12/4/2015 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#34]
yep

I've put about 10,000 rounds thru an early M&P40 without trouble

newer compact and 5" pro also 100%

Dillon XL650 keeps them well fed
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Just curious, are there any military units (domestic or global) using the M&P?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

APEX Tactical is coming out with a custom barrel that should solve the accuracy problem. Cost is around $199.00. I have two (2) older M&P 9mm with poor accuracy. You are nit alone.

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to love the M&P's, and currently own 6, but I am flat out more accurate with every other 9mm pistol I own.  I have tried a 1 dot barrel, a 2 dot barrel, and a Wilson aftermarket barrel.

APEX Tactical is coming out with a custom barrel that should solve the accuracy problem. Cost is around $199.00. I have two (2) older M&P 9mm with poor accuracy. You are nit alone.

Mike

They've been saying this for a few years.

Any new developments?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike
So you buy the M&P and that runs you $440 give or take. Plus an apex trigger kit that runs you an additional $130-$150 and now a barrel that will cost $199 to get okay accuracy.

That's $770-$800 for a damn pistol that does what a Glock does.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
....So you buy the M&P and that runs you $440 give or take. Plus an apex trigger kit that runs you an additional $130-$150 and now a barrel that will cost $199 to get okay accuracy.  

View Quote

Burwell trigger job is every bit as nice as apex, and is FREE

http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

Stock barrel on all my M&P 40's are every bit as accurate as a stock Glock

Easy to mow down steel plate racks at 35 yards

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/MP/swsteel_zpsczxzzhey.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

....So you buy the M&P and that runs you $440 give or take. Plus an apex trigger kit that runs you an additional $130-$150 and now a barrel that will cost $199 to get okay accuracy.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/MP/swsteel_zpsczxzzhey.jpg
From my understanding, the barrel hoods are what is causing the accuracy issue for the 9mm. The guns are built from the groun up for .40 S&W and the 9mm barrel hoods are undersized and don't.provide a tight fit, hence the shitty accuracy. Your .40 S&W has a larger barrel hood and because of it has a tighter lock up and works better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top