Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2015 11:29:19 PM EDT
Would like to spend 700 or under. Preferably less.

I would like to be able to find it new in box. I can wait a few months.

I want a steel frame, not alloy.

No lock

Modern safety features such as transfer bar.

What's my best bet? Seems there are so many models I can't help but feel I'm missing some in my searches.

I've seen a few model 40's on the used market, and some prelock model 60's.  Any other models I should look for?
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The 640 pro series don't have a lock and can still be found for less than $700 NIB.  I believe they stopped making them last year but I have seen them out on the market still.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Model 36 or 49
Finding old used minty steel frame snubs ( desk or sock drawer gun) is pretty easy and a whole lot less than 700 bucks - heck for 700 bucks where I live you could by two.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 640 pro series don't have a lock and can still be found for less than $700 NIB.  I believe they stopped making them last year but I have seen them out on the market still.
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This...
I'm liking this option, but most of the ones I'm pulling up are right at 700, but that's ok. Just pushing the top end of my price range. Still seems a great option. Does it share sight compatibility with other smith and wessons if I wanted to pick up some steel non-tritium sights for it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 12:04:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought a 640 pro. Should be here late this week.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Smith doesn't use a transfer bar in the convention sense.  That's a Ruger thing.  Which is another good choice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Smith doesn't use a transfer bar in the convention sense.  That's a Ruger thing.  Which is another good choice.
View Quote
Interesting, I just learned something new. By the way, I had 2 ruger sp101's before this that were good ideas poorly executed. 2/3 sp101's I've owned required multiple trips to the factory for repair. I'm a smith and wesson guy now. The 640 is pretty much the smith and wesson version of an sp101 so I am excited to compare the two.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at the 649
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top