Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 12:38:01 AM EDT
Like the title says, M&P9 will not drop magazines free. I have tried 4 genuine S&W mags and two of them will eject about 3/4" and stick while the others come out less.  I probably should be in the habit of assuming mags will stick as a murphy's law scenario but it would be nice if they dropped free usually.  

I created a support ticket on the S&W site so we will see if it is covered.

UPDATE:

Got my M&P9 back. The paper had a section highlighted saying they replaced the magazines I sent in. I wish I had pics of the magwell before I sent it in. They look to have opened up the entire mag well just a bit since even the mags I didn't send now drop free. Guys who own this pistol will know what I mean when I say the plastic "rails" in the well look to be smoothed out to make some room.

I am happy and even though customer service took a good bit of follow up on my part to get it sent in, everything turned out great. Thanks S&W
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I own 7 centerfire M&Ps and one .22LR... ALL of them drop their magazines freely every time the mag release is depressed. Have you checked for molding flash inside, or anywhere it is hanging up?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own 7 centerfire M&Ps and one .22LR... ALL of them drop their magazines freely every time the mag release is depressed. Have you checked for molding flash inside, or anywhere it is hanging up?
View Quote

I looked into the mag well for a bit with a flashlight and I don't see any obvious imperfections. The funny thing is, I have owned it for over a year and can't remember mags sticking. I feel I would have noticed it and complained.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you taken out the mag release. They are plastic, maybe there is a burr.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a micrometer try measuring one of your mags loaded and empty to see if they are bulging anywhere. I had a few no name ar mag bulge when loaded, never had a M&P mag malfunction in any way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine doesn't have the magazine safety so I'm not familiar with how it's designed but if yours does is it possible the magazine safety is causing the magazine to hang up? I know that happens to my Browning Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Empty mags stick the same as loaded mags.  No magazine disconnect on this model.  I will remove the mag release and check it out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#7]
FWIW- I have an M&P9 (no  mag safety) and it practically shoots my mix of a dozen newer and older Gen2 and Gen3 magazines out the bottom when I press the mag release. I don't recall ever having a sticky mag in that gun.

Maybe you have a frame and/or mag that is on the tighter edge of S&W acceptable tolerances???? I dunno.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W response:

Dear Customer,

The magazines will wear into the gun.  With use it will become easier.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Regards

Not a real answer to me. I will reply back.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine don't stick but I usually finger the magwell with some clp. I rub some clp on my mags as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
853 rounds through the pistol so far.  I don't know how much more wear it needs. It makes Kahr look good!
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#11]
S&W is sending me a label to ship the pistol back for repair. Hopefully things turn out ok.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a VTAC and six mags with tan base plates that drop free.
I have 4 more that have black baseplates that do not drop free in the same pistol.

I've not taken calipers to them I honestly kinda forgot till I read this
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a VTAC and six mags with tan base plates that drop free.
I have 4 more that have black baseplates that do not drop free in the same pistol.

I've not taken calipers to them I honestly kinda forgot till I read this
View Quote

I would be interested in what you find.  My M&P9C drops the full size mags perfectly.  The mag well on it looks opened up a bit more with less pronounced "plastic guide rails" on the sides. Obviously the regular size M&P9c mags drop free too.

I don't understand how they get a mold incorrect like this.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll look at them. I forgot after I posted this
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry for delay but after pulling out 10 differnt mags it's pretty simple.
The ones that have the black baseplate have a thicker finish.
 They will drop with a few rounds but when empty they stick.
I inserted and ejected one several times and it got less sticky each time.
  So just a little breaking in and the problem solved
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry for delay but after pulling out 10 differnt mags it's pretty simple.
The ones that have the black baseplate have a thicker finish.
 They will drop with a few rounds but when empty they stick.
I inserted and ejected one several times and it got less sticky each time.
  So just a little breaking in and the problem solved
View Quote

Interesting to hear.  I don't think my situation is the same, but good to know. The mags I have are perfect on my M&P9c and will eject unloaded with force.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#17]
It Happens, it's more common in the FDE frames. Sand down the inside of the magwell, at least that was the quick fix I read others do online, it's not the end of the world.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#18]
one out of my five magazines does this. But it also seemed to be thicker when I put it into a magazine holder, while the others could be inserted/pulled out easier.

I just marked it with a sharpie and will use it as a range magazine. It's been reliable, so Im not worried.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:38:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there any chance that the problem mags are Promags and not factory? Just tossing that out there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#20]
UPDATE:

Got my M&P9 back.  The paper had a section highlighted saying they replaced the magazines I sent in.   I wish I had pics of the magwell before I sent it in. They look to have opened up the entire mag well just  a bit since even the mags I didn't send now drop free.  Guys who own this pistol will know what I mean when I say the plastic "rails" in the well look to be smoothed out to make some room.

I am happy and even though customer service took a good bit of follow up on my part to get it sent in, everything turned out great. Thanks S&W
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top