Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2015 1:48:17 PM EDT
Hey all,
i'm told these factory sights pictured below are adjustable and that the elevation is moved turning the screw on top. This screw does not move at all and I do not want to risk stripping it. The windage screw moves fine. It's only slightly low at 15yrs but I want it perfect. I've tried soaking it in oil and let it sit but no dice. Anyone have an idea?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If I was guessing I'd say the elevation screw is stripped out or the spring/plunger screw is in a bind.  If the pistol were mine I would put some Kroil penetrating oil in around the elevation screw and let it set a couple of days.  You could then use a hair dryer to put some heat on the sight and see if the screw will move the sight elevation.

If this is an old Police pistol I wonder if rain/sea water got into the sight and rusted the elevation spring/screw, which maybe corroded or is broken.  I don't think the spring or screw are stainless steel.

If this does not work you'll probably need to disassemble the sight.  Here is a link to a schematic at Brownell's, plus they have parts in stock.

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Smith-Wesson-/4506-sid466.aspx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top