Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2015 1:52:09 PM EDT
Is this normal?  I had forgotten to say something about that in my range report.   But I was kind of surprised.  Not sure I should be.  I know Glocks do this too.  But I don't have any other pistols that do it.  Plus it didn't do it every time.  I find it kind of annoying.  But not a deal breaker.  

It is a joy to shoot though.  Only thing is it shoots to the dot like most of my other pistols and I wish it had a top of post POI.  Oh well.  I can't believe how soft it was for a .45.  Unless, is magtech 230 grain FMJ weak ammo or not?  I'll bring WWB next time and see if I feel the same way.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, not a big deal and saves a bit of time
Some do not care for this "feature"(unintended I am sure).
It has actually been discussed a bit on the SW forum.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Auto indexing. I was like a kid in a candy shop when I first did it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
For me it depends on how hard you insert the mag / hand position. I can reliability auto index, or leave the slide back at this point.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Happens with a lot of pistols, Glocks in particular.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Happens with a lot of pistols, Glocks in particular.
View Quote

I had a G19 for a little while and I know that did it.  But I've never had another pistol that did.   So I didn't know it was common.  So they call it "Auto Indexing".....  interesting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#6]
My Full size M&P 9 does this, as you shoot it more it will happen more consistently to the point where you can control whether it happens or not. It's really nice for speed reloads.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never understood the need to seat a mag so hard on a locked back slide.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
My USP .45 does it occasionally.  If memory serves, there is mention of that in the manual.  

I find it kind of annoying because it is unpredictable and the only way I have found to avoid it completely is to be almost gentle when inserting a fresh mag.

A friend of mine has a USP also.  I mentioned this "quirk" after he got the pistol.  He tried it a few times and seated his mag really hard.  So hard that he broke the base plate off of a 10 round mag.  Mag functioned for the first few rounds, but after the follower cleared the spring retainer, rounds fell out of the mag body and the pistol jammed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
My fnp45 does it 100% of the time. I like it
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't really feel like I am seating it hard.  It happened today too when I was putting on to carry it.  I really didn't feel like I was cramming it in there though.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't really feel like I am seating it hard.  It happened today too when I was putting on to carry it.  I really didn't feel like I was cramming it in there though.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned all matter of pistols over the last 25+ years and I've never had the slide drop when inserting a mag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My M&P40c does this, and not only if the mag is seated with a lot of force.  Personally I don't like it as I'd prefer to control it more.  The manual says it's not supposed to do that.  I called S&W about something else and when I asked about this, I was told its was designed to do this, for "tactical reloads" LOL
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've owned all matter of pistols over the last 25+ years and I've never had the slide drop when inserting a mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, but as you can see, I'm not the only that has this happen.   It's a common thing with Glocks too.  Apparently.  So are you saying I'm doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

OK, but as you can see, I'm not the only that has this happen.   It's a common thing with Glocks too.  Apparently.  So are you saying I'm doing something wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fairly common thing with semi auto handguns.

My M&P does it much easier than my Glock.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just tried it with my M&P40 and Glock 22 to see if I could do it. The M&P did it using about the same amount of force as I would use to seat a mag on a closed slide. The Glock wouldn't do it no matter how hard I seated the mag.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, what's your point?  I see that you didn't answer my question directly.  Because if you said yes, it would look kind of odd as all these other guys are saying their guns do it too.  

So I'm not really sure what your point is.  When I had a Glock 19 I remember it doing it too.  I have an M9, a HiPower, an XD .45 Tactical.  I've never noticed it on these guns.  Although I barely ever shoot the XD.  It's been a long time.  I have owned 2 1911's and they don't do it on those either.  It does it on this gun though.  And I really don't think its from me slamming home the mag like an ape or something.  And putting it gingerly in there like a lil girl isn't necessarily going to happen either.  So.....  I'll learn to live with it.   It's not a deal breaker, it just took me by surprise which is why I mentioned anything.  And seeing how others are having the same experience, I guess it's all good.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Once I figured out that I could reliably replicate it, it became a "feature" and not an "issue."
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#18]
"Normal" is a relative term.
I will preface this with both my M&P 9 and 45 do the same thing.
Should the pistol do it  based on the way things are designed to function?  No.
In the real world does the pistol do it:  Yes.
Is it a big deal?  That depends entirely on you.  It does seem to be something that is happening more and more with modern pistols, especially polymer ones.
You can send it back to S& W multiple times, and ultimately things will stay the same.
You can sell the pistol if the issue really bothers you(be nice and disclose the issue).
Or, if you can live with it, deal with the issue and move on.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Agreed.  The only real problem I have with it can probably overcome with practice.  Since I didn't realize it did it, it just threw me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Happens consistently on my 9mm with mags loaded at least halfway.  Didn't find it a problem during the dozens (maybe hundreds) of reloads at the course I took.  Surprisingly, it takes very little force to get the slide to release.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Good to know.  How'd she run otherwise?  GTG?  What course did you take?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:19:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good to know.  How'd she run otherwise?  GTG?  What course did you take?
View Quote

Costa's HET course in Wyoming.  I actually welcomed the slide lock.  It's actually REALLY easy to induce on a mag at least half full.  

Zero pistol related malfunctions over three days and 2250 rounds.  Had a click or two when I pulled the trigger but that's on the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, that's a lot of lead being slung in two days!!!!!   Glad it worked well!  I think I saw that he likes M&P's.......
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow, that's a lot of lead being slung in two days!!!!!   Glad it worked well!  I think I saw that he likes M&P's.......
View Quote

Did.  Maybe still does, actually.  He consolidated to Glocks....or at least because Salient provided him with guns.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder what would happen if Springfield gave him Operators.......  

I'm just kidding. I remember watching a video where he was promoting his custom 9mm M&P's.  But it was probably old at the time I watched it.  Either way they both work.......
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Checked mine today. Yup, does it quite easily.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm just kidding. I remember watching a video where he was promoting his custom 9mm M&P's.  But it was probably old at the time I watched it.  Either way they both work.......
View Quote

The last "potential" sponsor was STI, they were making a custom gun for him.  Something like a double stack 9mm 1911.  Didn't shoot it, but was telling us a little bit about it.  

Truthfully, he had nothing bad to say about MP's.  He said that Glocks and MP's make it through with the least amount of issues.  Gave a lot of crap to a guy running a XDm, who turned out to be the best shooter in the course.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The last "potential" sponsor was STI, they were making a custom gun for him.  Something like a double stack 9mm 1911.  Didn't shoot it, but was telling us a little bit about it.  

Truthfully, he had nothing bad to say about MP's.  He said that Glocks and MP's make it through with the least amount of issues.  Gave a lot of crap to a guy running a XDm, who turned out to be the best shooter in the course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costa gave him a lot of crap?  I love it when the underdog does well.  I'm not sure why.  I actually hate the cheese grater texture of the XDs and the newer XD's.  I don't even like holding onto it just fondling it.  No way would I like firing it.  But I've got nothing against people that run guns that work, that the general wisdom says won't work........  Sometimes stuff just does work, regardless of how tacticool it is.  At least from what I can gather.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#29]
OP my M&P .45  does it sometimes too if I ram the mag in.  FWIW my Glock will too at times when I ram the mag in.  I have shot many flavor pistols over the years and have seen what you speak of many times.  I personally don't worry about it.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I'm not opposed to it per se but since none of my other handguns do this I'd prefer to maintain the same muscle memory of reaching over and slingshotting the slide across all platforms.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
My full size M&P 40 and 9c both can do so. I have  gotten where I can auto index the slide every time with either. I believe I first saw the practice in the magpul video Costa and Haley made quite a while back with M&P pistols.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I'm not opposed to it per se but since none of my other handguns do this I'd prefer to maintain the same muscle memory of reaching over and slingshotting the slide across all platforms.
View Quote

Try inserting the mag at different angles.  I've got one semi that I can do this with, but only if I angle the top of the mag towards the front of the chute (barrel side).  If I angle the mag towards the back (breech side), it doesn't happen.  Most of the rest of my semis are 1911s at this point.

ETA:  The angles I mentioned may be reversed.  It's been awhile since I've made it to the range with it....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top