Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2015 3:11:15 AM EDT
I took my M&P 9mm out last week to see if it favored any particular cheap ammo for plinking. Ive only ever shot it at close self defense distances and rather quickly from concealment, so I never confirmed an accuracy issue, although I suspected it.

Set up was 15 yards from the table at an IDPA style target with a dot in the middle. 10 shot groups. Rested on ammo can and rags. I was resting on just the rags but found my groups to tighten up considerably when I switched. As such, the groups from ZQI, Fiocchi, Blazer 124gr, and Perfecta are excluded from this post. I have a feeling the Fiocchi would have shot much better than it did- I just ran out of light.

best Group: 3.75 in IF you exclude the "flyer" PMC bronze 115gr

Remington UMC 115gr:

American Eagle 115gr:

Blazer brass 115gr:

Wolf black box 115gr (not bad, comparatively)

Federal Aluminum case 115gr:

My carry load, Hornady XTP 147gr :(

What the fuck, over? Is this acceptable/normal  accuracy? For a while now, Ive just been thinking its me, and that means I got to practice so that was cool- but I was starting to get frustrated.

Shameless after disappointing session beer pic:
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:16:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're a good group shooter and it's the gun I'd be unhappy. In my experience M&Ps aren't accurate.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Too much finger on trigger? Pushing left  on pull? My 9 Pro and wife's 9C shoot good if you do your part.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
S&W resolved 9mm accuracy issues with a barrel update.  It should have two dimples...

It should look like the following picture.  If it has one dimple or no dimples its an older model barrel.  I would contact S&W in that case and let them know the accuracy issues you are having.  If you do have the two dimple barrel get a rest and confirm without a doubt that its the gun and not you.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're a good group shooter and it's the gun I'd be unhappy. In my experience M&Ps aren't accurate.
View Quote

Just curious if it was an M&P made in the last two years or older.

A new production M&P is going to be good to go.  Just like anything it took time to mature.  A new production M&P has an above average trigger, has the new slide stop hump that gives you an actual reset (if that is something you like), and has gone through a couple iterations of barrels.  

It took longer than you would think or would like... but its evolving.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll says the same, but only with the 9mm models I've owned. My FS45s have been very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is some info I found: Link

Older Rifling

Newer Rifling

Mine Archived Thread

I've got no dimples...  I also can't hit plates at 25 yards for shit with it, but I can with my 1911, and buddy's G19.

I guess I need to get a hold of S&W.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
What else have you shot at that distance and how do you group with other pistols. It sounds as if you're not happy with those and I can say that I wouldn't be either.

I shoot groups that at least equal that with a G19 at 33 yrds standing... At 12-15 yrds I shoot 1.5-2" groups.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here is some info I found: Link

Older Rifling

http://i82.servimg.com/u/f82/15/70/16/74/image20.jpg

Newer Rifling

http://i82.servimg.com/u/f82/15/70/16/74/image21.jpg

Mine Archived Thread

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/mr_speedvision/A7ED4DF5-93CE-4A3A-8090-071E2A12024B.jpg

I've got no dimples...  I also can't hit plates at 25 yards for shit with it, but I can with my 1911, and buddy's G19.

I guess I need to get a hold of S&W.
View Quote

Tell them specifically that you need a new barrel on the phone so they can put notes in the system. They changed my original FS9 barrel after a second trip back, but only after I told them I needed one. My groups went from a centered 10in. pattern at 15 yards down to a centered 6-8in. pattern at 15 yards. I keep reading "upgraded barrel" but it only brought the groups down a few inches.

ETA: S&W also told me directly over the phone that the FS9s are supposed to get 3" groups at 25 yards. I did all I could to not laugh into the phone when the rep said that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice backstop.

I'm guessing it's not the pistol.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I went into my archives to pull up some groups I shot for reference with an M9.  But I'm not sure they're all that great either.  

benched:

That all was early on when I first got my M9.  You can see it was at 20 yards.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
How's the trigger?  Is it really long and creepy and feels like it's full of gravel?  I have a Shield, Compact, FS and Pro all in 40 as well as a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for the Pro.  All but the Pro have the APEX kit (DCAEK)  and the Pro that I shoot for competition has the FSS and aluminum trigger.  Groups were all tighter than that before trigger upgrades and even the Shield groups tighter than that after.  I found the factory triggers were all long and rough, even the Pro which was supposed to be better.  I know some people say the newer triggers are better than the old but compared to a 1911 or even my older model 59 they were not that great.  The long rough trigger makes it difficult to be consistent in how you let off the shot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How's the trigger?  Is it really long and creepy and feels like it's full of gravel?  I have a Shield, Compact, FS and Pro all in 40 as well as a Storm Lake 9mm barrel for the Pro.  All but the Pro have the APEX kit (DCAEK)  and the Pro that I shoot for competition has the FSS and aluminum trigger.  Groups were all tighter than that before trigger upgrades and even the Shield groups tighter than that after.  I found the factory triggers were all long and rough, even the Pro which was supposed to be better.  I know some people say the newer triggers are better than the old but compared to a 1911 or even my older model 59 they were not that great.  The long rough trigger makes it difficult to be consistent in how you let off the shot.
View Quote

I agree, I would like to invest in a FSS and trigger, but not if the thing wont shoot better than 3 1/2 inches at 15 yards. It seems everyone is testing these at 25 yards and accepting a 3-4" group. I read through all 24 pages of the thread over at pistol fourum.com - https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8743-M-amp-P9-barrel-saga and the consensus seems to be that the issue lies in the barrel/slide fit AND barrel quality. Cant fix it without both being OK. I still need to stick mine in a real rest to see just how much is me- but I was pretty confidant in my testing- we'll see. If Im not satisfied after using a rest, Ill see if I can get the newer 2 dimple barrel out of S&W for warranty, otherwise or if it doesnt fix it, I will abandon the platform. This is my only pistol and while its accuracy is acceptable for <10 yard self defense it's neither acceptable for a fullsize combat pistol or fun to plink with.

Mine is a early style NO dimple barrel
test fire date is 9/2012
trigger is of the updated factory version- minimal grit, very clear reset.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If you can regularly take multiple other handguns and routinely ( not best or one fluke) get sub four inch 25 yard groups and can't with this gun look at the gun.
If the above sentence is not true ( you can not make that accuracy standard with several handguns)
You need to look at the shooter.
I see many shooters ( especially young speed demon types) who can draw and shoot like lightning at 7 yards but can't shoot accurately beyond 15 for all the tea in china !
While close up defensive fire is of course important - I constantly preach slow down shoot at further distance and master the fundamentals first.
Plus your small dot in the middle of the target may be drawing your focus away from your sights and to the target which is not where it needs to be
If your target (dot , whatever) is in focus you are wrong since the focus needs to be on your sights meaning to do things right the target MUST be blurry
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Hitting plates does not really answer the question much since most steel plates are 6 or more Inches in diameter and you can be shooting bad and getting a 5.75 inch group ( a mess from my perspective ) and still hit plates at 25. Group testing on paper ( as you obviously know) does not lie.
My personal example my glock 19 feels better in my hand and has a longer sight radius and bigger grip than my 26 and therefore should be more accurate
But extensive testing showed both would consistently from my hands deliver sub three inch 25 yard groups with the 26 just a hair better than the 19.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#15]
My M&P9 was new as of last Fall/winter.  Newer trigger style and barrel.  Groups were ok.  Apex trigger, groups MUCH better.  Then I got an M&P40 police trade(old trigger).  Had to replace that trigger b/c even the new M&P trigger is garbage after using a good trigger.  That pistol can print groups if I do my part.  Finally, found a good load for the M&P9.  124gr FP or Hollow points, loaded to duty or not mouse fart loads.  Now it is accurate, and nearly as accurate as my M&P40.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree with Captain127.  If you KNOW you can shoot a pistol good at 25 yards benched, then by all means it's probably the gun.  But if you're new to all of this, shooting a pistol accurately is not easy.  I think it might be the former, so.....

There is a youtube video Kyle Lamb made about comparing Glocks to M&P's and he likes the M&P's a lot.  But he did specifically say he didn't like the accuracy on them, I think just the 9mm models, and he replaced the barrels with aftermarket barrels.  Or something to that degree.  I'll see if I can find the video.  

kylelamb

I personally think all the whining about the triggers is overblown.  Especially if comparing to a Glock.  I have a .45 M&P and it is heavy and a bit gritty, but nothing that screams oh my God you can't shoot me.  It breaks about 8lbs.  Most people complain about the reset but that's got nothing to do with accuracy shooting.  You think M&P's are bad, try a HiPower.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Check the barrel to hood fitment with feeler gauges.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Interesting thread, especially as I tend to prefer my M&P 9mm over most other choices.

I think once it cools down a bit in Houston, I might have to pull out all of my 9mm's and replicate this test with some other pistols firing the same ammunition.  I would be interested to see the results.

I could compare a PPQ, 226, G17, P99, Hi-Power, 92FS and M&P with factory and Wilson Combat aftermarket barrel.  When I get it done, I will come back to post the results so we have a bit more data to work with.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]
My M&P's have all pulled much tighter groups that than, even offhand.

If you can determine that it is the gun and not shooter input, it is not acceptable.

When was your gun made?  What does the underside of the barrel look like?

S&W did have some accuracy issues.  I was lucky enough to never get one (even with the older barrel) that had the accuracy issues, but if you can confirm its not you, then I wouldn't have a hard time blaming the gun, at all.

My M&P's with KKM's are worst case 3 inch guns at 25 if I rush it.  Better if I use something better than freedom reloads and take my time.  Factory barrels were at their worst only about 1 more inch at that distance, but still were 3 inch guns with decent ammo and ensuring I took my time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
S&W resolved 9mm accuracy issues with a barrel update.  It should have two dimples...

It should look like the following picture.  If it has one dimple or no dimples its an older model barrel.  I would contact S&W in that case and let them know the accuracy issues you are having.  If you do have the two dimple barrel get a rest and confirm without a doubt that its the gun and not you.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20MP%20core/MandPbarreldimples_zps4457912c.jpg
View Quote

I thought one dimple was the updated barrel also?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/1KPerDay/Guns/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20MP%20core/MandPbarreldimples_zps4457912c.jpg

Oh I could very well be wrong on that.  I thought no dimple was the oldest, one dimple the first update and two dimple the newest version.  I don't know the specifics on when they actually changed the twist rate but it was changed at some point.

OP:  Don't let this sour you on M&P.  The platform is evolving (better trigger, reset, barrel, etc) every year but if you find after shooting from a rest that you are still having issues don't buy an aftermarket barrel... make S&W fix it first.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Interesting thread.  I've got the non-dimpled barrel....I/anyone else who know how to shoot, shoot just fine.  Sure, I've got the APEX DCAEK trigger in mine, but fundamentals are still fundamentals.  Getting a better trigger doesn't guarantee that one can shoot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#23]
My question is does S&W fix this?  Do they send you a new barrel?
I have always been happy with s&w CS.  I really never had to use they.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I have an old, non-dimpled barrel in 9mm with the shallow rifling seen in the photo posted earlier in this thread.  While I haven't shot it at 25 yards I did at I believe 10 yards and it did very good.  If Photobucket ever starts working again I will post a photo.

Edit.  Photo added.  Thought I did better although this was offhand.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Got out to the range yesterday, and have some more anecdotal evidence to share.

Usual disclaimers about maybe I just suck, unscientific testing, not statistically significant, etc.

All shooting was at 15 yards using same ammunition (115 grn blasting ammo, Freedom Munitions, I think), pistol rested on top of table, no other support.  Measurements were derived by using a cheapish Harbor Freight caliper measuring edge to edge, and then subtracting .355 for bullet diameter.  10 shot groups for each pistol, each time.

I will try to post pictures later, if I can.

I will also add a P99, Glock 17 and Hi-Power to the list, next time I get out to the range.  I also want to try that Wilson Combat barrel in another slide and see if it improves.  One of the Wilson Combat groups was shot with an RMR mounted, and I really would have expected that to produce the most precise results.  I'm wondering if a slide with a better barrel hood fit might do it some good.

CZ 75B Omega1.697
Beretta 92FS2.481
CZ 75B Omega2.56
Beretta 92FS3.028
M&P 9 - 1 Dimple Barrel3.181
Walther PPQ3.293
Walther PPQ3.381
M&P 9 - 2 Dimple Barrel4.055
M&P 9 - 2 Dimple Barrel4.155
M&P 9 Wilson Combat Barrel4.493
M&P 9 Wilson Combat Barrel5.17

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice backstop.
View Quote

Legit point.

OP I like your Rush reference name, but shooting down a road is not a good choice. Review the 4 rules before taking issue...

Wouldn't bother to beat you up on this but the discussion of S&W barrel dimples is interesting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Let me start off by saying that at 15 yards I would be happy with any of those groups. Haha!  I haven't shot pistol from a rest since I owned my first gun and thought the gun was inaccurate (It was me).

The first 7 below doesn't surprise me.  If this was the only thing you posted I would have thought 'yep that looks good and seems about right':

CZ 75B Omega 1.697
Beretta 92FS 2.481
CZ 75B Omega 2.56
Beretta 92FS 3.028
M&P 9 - 1 Dimple Barrel 3.181
Walther PPQ 3.293
Walther PPQ 3.381

This is where things get surprising.  What is going on with that Wilson Combat barrel?  I would expect this fall in right at the Beretta 92FS or a little better.  Also, the 2 Dimple barrel... I wouldn't think it would open up an extra inch than that 1 Dimple barrel.

M&P 9 - 2 Dimple Barrel 4.055
M&P 9 - 2 Dimple Barrel 4.155
M&P 9 Wilson Combat Barrel 4.493
M&P 9 Wilson Combat Barrel 5.17

________________________________________________________________________________
Doing some research here is what I found out about the single dimple barrel:

"now has a faster twist, and appears to be approximately 1:10, similar to what CZ and Glock use."

I can't seem to find out twist rate of the two dimple...but I did find this from doing an arfcom search...

"1 dimple vs 2 dimple is the machine that made it. Just like the slides have dimples saying what machine made it."
Link to ARFCOM thread

I don't own a FS M&P just a compact .40S&W and I also have a Storm Lake conversion that I haven't bench rest shot (either).  

With solid information like that I would contact S&W and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Also, maybe contact Wilson Combat?  If this has been an issue with slide fit or something they would have seen it.  

I am super curious about all of this.  Hope you guys get it worked out.

Edit:
Thinking about it and the Wilson Combat might be designed for heavier loads.  Not sure what competition shooters use but would it be 147gr bullets?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm curious about the Wilson Combat barrel, as well.  If you look at the verbiage on their website, they do have a disclaimer that slight fitting may be required.  I admittedly dropped the barrel in and went to work.  I don't have the experience necessary, or the tools to really measure barrel to slide fit, so that might be the root of the issue.

I shot a few more groups today, so once I get them measured, I will add them to the results in another post.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Here are numbers updated with what I shot today.  Same ammunition lot as the previous data, although I'm just about through that batch.

Interesting results.  Obviously, always the possibility that I'm just pulling or pushing shots, but as I collect more data, some obvious trends should start to emerge.  From this very limited data set, it would sure appear, that at the very least I seem to shoot my M&P's worse than my other handguns.

I think I'm going to do a couple rounds of this slow fire each time I go to the range for a while and track the data.

CZ 75B Omega1.697
CZ 75B Omega1.791
Sig P226R2.155
Beretta 92FS2.481
CZ 75B Omega2.56
Beretta 92FS3.028
M&P 9 - 1 Dimple Barrel3.181
Walther PPQ3.293
Walther PPQ3.381
Glock 173.725
M&P9 PC Ported Longslide3.836
M&P 9 - 2 Dimple Barrel4.055
M&P 9 - 2 Dimple Barrel4.155
M&P 9 - 1 Dimple Barrel4.172
M&P 9 Wilson Combat Barrel4.493
M&P 9 Wilson Combat Barrel5.17

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top