Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2015 9:54:18 PM EDT
How much would S&W charge me for replacing a broken extractor?  

The parts are less than $10.  If S&W charges $50, it's probably worth it to get them to replace it.  If they charge $250, I'll probably try and do it myself.  

Any other options for getting this replaced?  
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Shipping a firearm is pretty expensive.  Fedex overnight.  I shipped a Ruger MKII to Powers Custom and it was about $40.00 or so.

It was to replace the barrel (something I could not do as it required lathe work) but I do everything else. However, I have attended Armorers courses for Glock, SIG, S&W, and others.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#2]
You can have a dealer ship the pistol back to the manufacturer through the US Post office, handguns usually fit in priority mail boxes, with insurance and is a lot cheaper.  Legally an owner can ship a pistol back to the manufacturer for repair through the USPS.  My small town post office had never filled out the required affidavit  so it was easrier to show the dealer as the sender.   The manufacturer then shipped the pistol back after repair to my dealer who is a good friend.

If you do ship the pistol back to S&W you could ask them to inspect the pistol, they might replace the springs and test fire the pistol before returning it.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Some parts on 3rd Gens can require some hand fitting to properly repair or replace. The extractor is one of them unfortunately.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some parts on 3rd Gens can require some hand fitting to properly repair or replace. The extractor is one of them unfortunately.

View Quote

Thanks.  There are DIY videos on Youtube, but I wimped out.  

I called S&W Customer Service this afternoon.  They certainly made it painless.  They offered to send me a preprinted Fedex label (email or snail mail), and said the repair would take about three weeks.  So it's now on the way to Springfield, MA.  

So my only concern now is how much this is going to cost me.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Please report back when it's been returned.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Did mine myself.

Not that hard.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's an update.  I also posted this in the GD.  

My trusty old 4516 failed a few weeks ago.  I could probably have fixed it myself, but decided to outsource the repair.  

I decided to send it to S&W.  I thought S&W may charge me a few
bucks more than a local shop, but those S&W guys should know what
they're doing.  

- Around 11am, I called the toll-free number (800-331-0852).  I was
nice, and told the guy that my beloved pistol stopped working, that I
thought the extractor was broken, and that I wanted to send it in for
repair.  I NEVER mentioned the word "warranty".   He immediately sent me
an email with a prepaid Fedex 2nd day shipping label (to "SAW" in
Massachusetts).  

- About 2pm that afternoon, I dropped it off at a local Fedex place.  

- About two weeks later, I received email notification that S&W was
sending me a package.  It was my 4516.  S&W replaced the "ejector"
and the "recoil rod spring".  

The repair didn't cost me one dime.  

Another reason I like love these S&W third generation pistols.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Good deal!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top