Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 12:49:57 PM EDT
Got a chance to shoot an M&P with a green FO/serrated black rear setup yesterday on a friends pistol, and it was absolutely phenomenal.  I didn't realize how fast that setup could be, Iv'e always been a traditional 3-dot tritium sight sort of guy.  I'd opt for a very similar layout, but instead much prefer the red FO front for my personal M&P.  

Do you guys have any specific recommendations for me?  For what its worth, I also have a 10% off coupon to optics planet, so if it's something I can pick up there that'd be real useful.  

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
i run red FO dawsons on mine. blacked out factory rear.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#2]
10-8 Performance fiber front and u-notch rear sight. I'd go with the .100" width front sight, and then either a .125" rear notch, or .140".

The .125" is more of a standard window, and will be very precise, the .140" will allow you to shoot faster, and once you get used to it, your precision will come back.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Is a sight tool necessary if I were to swap mine out?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on how tight the new sights are or if they are tritium. I wouldn't beat on tritium sights.

I've changed sights with brass punches, nylon punches, and a sight tool.

The sight tool is really helpful when the sights are very very tight. Brass won't scratch the steel, but you do need to clean the tool marks off, and the nylon ones will split if the sights don't slide easily.

The sight tool is also a lot faster to use, so if you're using blue loctite, that helps there as well.

The hardest part of the M&P sights is that the rear sight holds the striker block spring in place. That's why Apex includes the Talon Tactical M&P rear sight tool in their kits.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Warren Tactical sights on mine and am very happy with them.  10-8 makes a good set as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Depends on how tight the new sights are or if they are tritium. I wouldn't beat on tritium sights.

The sight tool is really helpful when the sights are very very tight. Brass won't scratch the steel, but you do need to clean the tool marks off, and the nylon ones will split if the sights don't slide easily.

The sight tool is also a lot faster to use, so if you're using blue loctite, that helps there as well.

The hardest part of the M&P sights is that the rear sight holds the striker block spring in place. That's why Apex includes the Talon Tactical M&P rear sight tool in their kits.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So im looking at 200 bones to change sights on my pistol. Should have taken up knitting
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So im looking at 200 bones to change sights on my pistol. Should have taken up knitting

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done it with a $2 brass punch, a block of wood, and a hammer.

Like anything, you can do it with basic tools, it is just a lot easier with the right ones.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a hammer and wood. This is already sounding like a good idea. Would I do myself a huge disservice by leaving the rear dots on and simply swapping a fiber optic front in
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I own a hammer and wood. This is already sounding like a good idea. Would I do myself a huge disservice by leaving the rear dots on and simply swapping a fiber optic front in
View Quote
As long as you buy the proper height front sight, you'll be fine. I have done that before and just blacked out the rear dots with a sharpie or black nail polish.

The fiber optic stands out so much that the other dots just confuse the sight picture, IMO.

ETA:

And there is a proper direction for the M&P sights. You should go out from right to left, and in from left to right, muzzle facing away from you.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Daytona you are a wealth of knowledge. Really appreciate your input in this thread sir

I would want to order the taller front sight from 10-8 to keep POI similar to stock sights correct?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Daytona you are a wealth of knowledge. Really appreciate your input in this thread sir

I would want to order the taller front sight from 10-8 to keep POI similar to stock sights correct?
View Quote

I read a post from hilton yam talking about how the front sight should always be .160 (factory setting).  If you opt for .180, you'll shoot 3 inches low at 25 yards.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I read a post from hilton yam talking about how the front sight should always be .160 (factory setting).  If you opt for .180, you'll shoot 3 inches low at 25 yards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's correct for 4.25" barrel M&P's. For a 5" barrel 9 Pro or 9L, they (10-8) suggest you see if it shoots low or not. If it shoots low, they suggest you use the .160 sight, the .180 is the stock height for the 5" barrel.

A taller front sight will shoot lower. Some people like using the fiber optic like a red dot and putting it right over the target, others just use the fiber to pick up the front blade quicker. If you like to cover the target with a #3 sight picture like this:

Then you might want the taller sight (if you currently have a #2 POA/POI). For sight picture #2, you would want to use the stock sight height IF you shoot POA/POI like that.

Best thing to do is test fire the gun, find out your POA/POI at 20 yards, and go from there.

Dawson sells many more height options for M&P sights, so you can use them to tailor your approach.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are going to use fiber optics, please use GREEN and not red.
Over the visual spectrum of colors that a human eye can see, GREEN is near the center.  Red is near the upper edge.
That means green is easier to pick up with your eye.  The same logic goes for lasers as well.

color chart
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Again thanks for the info gents
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.hivizsights.com/product-category/products/handgun-sights/smith-wesson/

Absolutely GREEN front and rear.  I have several Glocks and other things with green/green and they are the best.  Red is often not very visible.  Green always is in comparison.

Even if you only get a green front and use the two white rear sight dots, it is quick.

HiViz is a good brand and have always worked well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#17]

I am not seeing a green fiber optic, only red. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Over the visual spectrum of colors that a human eye can see, GREEN is near the center.  Red is near the upper edge.
That means green is easier to pick up with your eye.  The same logic goes for lasers as well.

color chart
View Quote

Out of curiosity - how come all the aimpoints/eotechs are Red dots as opposed to Green dots?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Out of curiosity - how come all the aimpoints/eotechs are Red dots as opposed to Green dots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

color chart

They aren't, at least Eotech has green sights. Not entirely sure about Aimpoint.

Red lasers/emitters are cheaper than green ones, or at least they were for the longest time, I am not 100% sure if that is still the case.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, the technology for red LED/Lasers was robust and cheap.  Only in the last few years has the technology improvements made green practical and affordable.

Some hunters are concerned that they might not be able to pick up a green laser or green reticle if hunting while vegetation is still green.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

the package comes with extra fiber pipes,...in different colors
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They usually have a precut red one and a red and green fiber pipe.

For $15-$20, you can buy the Truglo pack that matches the pipe size and try several different colors.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I have always used red fiber optic in the past, but I decided to try green with my M&P.  I find that the green works great in bright sunlight, but in dimmer lighting conditions the red seems to work better for me.  Anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have always used red fiber optic in the past, but I decided to try green with my M&P.  I find that the green works great in bright sunlight, but in dimmer lighting conditions the red seems to work better for me.  Anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?
View Quote
I shoot indoors a lot, and I put Hi-Viz sights on my 1911, so the light pipes were easy to swap. I like red indoors over green, not sure I have an outdoor preference. I thought green would get lost in the grass backstops but it's the only thing glowing. Haven't shot the 1911 on a cloudy day. In a dirt pit, green seems to win over red because it looks brighter against the background.

Several other guns have red pipes and I have never had a problem finding it. I typically shoot an M&P with the Ameriglo I dot sights.

Sometimes I shoot one with 10-8 sights and I really like it, but I find I acquire the sights faster with these, but I lose a little precision on the wider front sight, which hasn't cost me too much yet, so I still compete mainly with that one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I have not had any issues "losing" green fiber optics against grass or trees.  It "glows" a drastically different color to my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have Warren Tactical sights on mine and am very happy with them.  10-8 makes a good set as well.
View Quote

I have a set of warrens on one of my g19's and plan on getting the same set for the m&p45. The price is right and the FO is fast and simple.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently put a set of front and rear fiber Dawsons on my 5" Pro.  Adjustable rear.  Front blade thickness is .100, rear sight notch is .125.  

Some of the best money Ive spent on upgrades for a pistol.

And yes, they were a bitch to get the old ones off.  S&W really puts the rear Novaks on tight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top