Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2015 4:57:18 PM EDT
i have a chance to pick up a SD40 for $270. i've shot a friends M&P40 and live it for a 40cal, more so than the glock 40's.

seems as they are an upgrades sigma? metal sights, M&P trigger...do they shoot well?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Two different animals.

The line started out as the Sigma. S&W was sued successfully by Glock for patent violations. It was a hard suit for S&W to defend since the Sigma barrels were interchangeable with the Glock barrel. The suit was settled with royalties to Glock to continue to used items of Glock patent.

The next evolution of the Sigma was the SD 9 and SD 40. Sales was sluggish and the biggest complaint on the Sigma and even the SD series was a crappy trigger. (They were still ugly too!)

The M&P line evolved with a bunch of refinements of the first two and in my opinion it was only then that the product was competition to the Glock... and the M&P series became a hit.

The SD series is a bargain line autos that are a value at the price. I have three, two stashed in the house and one in my truck.

They are dependable enough for home defense, and if they are held after a defensive shooting for a few months I have lost nothing.

I would pay $270.00 for one without hesitation... but trying to upgrade it to a M&P quality is not realistic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
cdnn, buds, aim, etc, typically have police trade-in 40 M&P's for about $330-370

I'd save a bit more and get what you really want

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
cdnn, buds, aim, etc, typically have police trade-in 40 M&P's for about $330-370

I'd save a bit more and get what you really want

View Quote

if it was going to be a primary carry i would certainly agree. normally i carry a glock19 but in winter time when everyone is heavy coated for a month or 2, i feel the need for more bullet and umpf so i think a SD40 might just do it at $270.

thanks for the input everyone!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any experience with the SD Smith but I have a M&P 40 and its always shot well for me with no issues.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Own an SD9Ve and have owned others in the past. I have also had a M&P 9mm in the stable.
I would take an SD9VE over an M&P anytime.

Yes I said it. The SD9VE is easier to shoot and easier to disassemble than the M&P.  I also like the grip angle and thin grip of the SD.

Two Officers down here carry them for primary duty weapons. One in 9MM and the other in .40
These guns and my own have not had a single issue with them.
Yes, the M&P was reliable, but not 200 more reliable for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the M&P40.

There is a nice amount of after market parts, stippled grips, holsters, etc for sale.

The police trade ins don't look half bad at all.  You usually get 3 magazines, and half decent night sights for about $330.

Also the resale value is better than the SD40 if you decide you don't like it.

One other bonus is that the M&P40 does have a conversion barrel for 9mm/357 sig depending on your preferences. While the SD40 cannot change calibers.

What is so hard about the M&P take down?

Lock the slide back, flick a lever. Release the slide, and pull the trigger. Pretty simple.. As for ease of shooting, it's pretty subjective. M&P9 has very soft recoil, and the M&P40 recoil isn't all that bad.
It is a nice budget pistol, but let's be realistic. It is what it is.

For the long haul get the M&P40. Even the trade in/factory trigger is decent compared to the sd series which needs an upgrade.

Heck it's like comparing the Walther PPX(Value Handgun) Vs the PPQ M2(Real Deal)

The M&P atleast has factory parts floating around for spares. The SD Series has to be serviced by S&W.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
For $270 and you like the gun, I'd say Go For It!

The SD line gets a lot of diss'ing but they go BANG every time.

The trigger really does stack like a double action revolver, so if you can shoot a DA six gun, you are ready to rock.

I actually prefer the heavy trigger for a carry / defense gun.   A lot of "experts" will go on about their 2.5 lb crisp as glass trigger in their gun, but for actual defense use (vs "Play Game" shooting) a super light trigger pull can be a serious detrement.

If you have an real adrenal dump, the first thing you lose is your fine motor dexterity.  Get a real jump / surprise, and your hands automatically clench. (evolution)  hold a light trigger and you flinch and you may send off a shot you didn't intend.

I own Sigma Classic (40F), new gen. SD9VE, M&P Service sized 9mm and the classic 5900 3rd Gen S&W autos.

Each is different, but each works well and I wouldn't feel badly armed with any of them.

For the money, the S&W line is a real value!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top