Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Had my first light primer strikes last weekend with silver bear. Fwiw, my glock has been doing the same with silver bear lately. My bodyguard never had light strikes in 500 rounds of PMC and a box of critical defense.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Tested the ammo-assortment yesterday.

Vendor was unable to deliver the TULA ammo.
But, I got TULA and Wolf confused, so I did not test the Wolf ammo, on account of I thought I'd already tested Wolf the first time out. Reading back over this thread, I see I tested TULA previously. I'll test the Wolf another time.

All the ammo was sure-fire.

No light strikes or anything at all weird about the ammo.

I'll just say a couple things about the primer-indentations.
The dents in the Hornady primers are all textbook. Nothing to suggest any deficient or excessive contact.
The Prvi primers are funny, in that they seem to show the weakest indentations. I don't know whether that's because the Prvi primers are harder than the others, or whether it might be that the Prvi primers are actually swelling back in such a way as to "erase" some of the indentation. All of it went bang, as desired, so its all just trivia anyway.

I didn't feel like shooting 300 rounds of .380 in this hand-firecracker.
So, I just shot two magazines of each brand of ammo.
I did shoot a full box of 25 of the Hornady Critical Defense, as this is the ammo I will carry for personal defense.
I wouldn't describe the actual firing as unpleasant at all, but as before, the thumb/forefinger web area of my right hand is a little sore this morning after firing 60-70 rounds. Still, you know you're not juggling Ping-Pong balls when you shoot this little gun.

The only "issue" I experienced was the occasional failure to lock back after the last shot.
Armscor - both mags
Privi - one mag
Fiocchi - one mag

I did not make note of WHICH mag was involved with the no-lockback.
I don't really care, as I don't plan to carry a spare mag when I'm carrying this gun.
If 7 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense .380 can't solve the problem, that's going to be just too bad. Or, if I DID want to carry a second mag, what difference would it make if I reloaded from a closed slide or a locked slide?

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the magazine that does NOT have the "rooster tail" best. With the plain magazine, my pinkie finger naturally moves to a position below the baseplate, and in such a way that it provides consistent support for the gun. Whereas, the rooster tail is just too small, and too ill-positioned to be of any usefulness to me. The rooster tail just gets in the way of my pinkie finger, and causes that finger to have an uncertain relationship to the grip of the gun. Ultimately, my pinkie ends up UNDER the rooster tail anyway, and in the same manner as the plain baseplate. So, for me the rooster tail serves no purpose other than to interfere with my hold. The rooster tail might be helpful if you have hands the size of a six-year-old. I will be in the market for another plain baseplate. Oh wait, I said I wasn't going to carry a spare magazine anyway. Well,... whatever.

I don't intend to ever use the safety either. Its really hard to move the safety lever into the safe position, and I'd just as soon it stayed that way.

I didn't bother to take any pics of the wear patterns or that sort of thing.
I don't see any appreciable wear on any of the surfaces, except the take-down pin, which is now missing most of its factory-finish on the shaft area that holds the whole gun together during firing. I don't anticipate firing this pistol more than maybe another 500 rounds over my lifetime. I don't enjoy getting bookended by unappreciative "apprentices" who "need to shoot quickly so they can leave" at fam-fire events. So, I won't be proselytizing this gun to all my shooting buddies or to various indifferent colleagues. If they beg me to shoot it, I might make room in my "busy schedule" to accommodate. I'll bookend THEM this time. I'll make them buy me breakfast, burn their gas to get to the range, make them pay for ammo, and then make them clean the darn guns when its all over. How 'bout THEM apples!

My point being: I don't expect to ever wear this gun out.
Maybe somebody will do a 100,000 round torture test on one. I'd be interested in that. But only to read about or watch the last 20 rounds before failure on youtube.
I won't ever wear it out.

In my opinion, this pistol is excellent.
Totally "good to go" for carry in the watch-pocket of my jeans when I'm going to some scary place like the sushi bar at Whole Foods or to the corner drug store for (ahem) "personal hygiene items."

Otherwise, I have at least one of every "tough guy toy" if conditions deteriorate.
(Which reminds me,... I haven't trained firing my MBR yet while wearing gas mask. Must put that on my "to-do" list.)

Anyhow, see below a pic of the target (firing distance about 10-12 feet) and the spent brass.
The aiming point for the target started out as a one-inch orange dot, of which you can still see a tiny bit at 11 o'clock alongside the gaping hole in the target.
Each shot was fired by rapidly presenting the pistol from the "low-ready" position, and firing one shot as soon as I could pick up the front sight.
The trigger was pulled "energetically" if not outright violently.
There always has to be THAT ONE SHOT outside the group - even at close range. Not a flier. I just spazzed, and shot it there.

If you are in the market for a 7-shot .380 that will completely conceal in the watch pocket of your jeans, I recommend this one 100%.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Carried the .380 Bodyguard in my watch pocket most of the day today.

Completely forgot that it was even there, except occasionally I noticed a little extra weight on that side.

No binding, or "hot spots."
Watch pocket of aforementioned jeans is absolutely the perfect size for the Bodyguard without the rooster-tail magazine.

I just gotta remember to take it out of my pocket before putting the pants in the wash!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top