Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2015 8:55:24 AM EDT
I've had this revolver for quite a long time.  Bought it used at a hardware store.

The rear sight is different than what I see on other 686s.  It has the wear you'd expect on a revolver that's been carried.

I'd like to send it back to S&W so they can bring it back to as-new.  Problem is, I recently discovered that some folks place a premium on these.

What's the best thing to do?  Give it a new lease on life or leave it alone?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd leave it alone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]
That is an AYE prefix.  Apparently wasn't modified by Glenco as it has the "M" stamp but no "2M".

The rear sight is what throws me off.  I can't find what the original sights were and I don't know what the stamp on it is or indicates.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd leave it alone.
View Quote

It's a 4" version so maybe not as valuable as the 3" version?

I just wanted to bring it back to like-new.  I figured if S&W did the work, any value wouldn't be damaged (as opposed to having a no-name do it).
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that an older Millet replacement rear sight?  It looks like someone wanted a wider target rear.  I don't think the OEM one would have been that wide but I'm purely speculating.

I'd leave it alone unless it has mechanical issues.   A service on it wouldn't be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is that an older Millet replacement rear sight?  It looks like someone wanted a wider target rear.  I don't think the OEM one would have been that wide but I'm purely speculating.

I'd leave it alone unless it has mechanical issues.   A service on it wouldn't be a bad idea.
View Quote

It is an old millet rear.  I wanted to bring it back to factory specs.  From the pics online I've found, the CS revolvers shipped with factory rear sights.  

Has a little bit of cylinder shake I'd like removed
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownell`s has S&W factory rear sights- chose the correct rear by the revolver model and dash number. If you have any questions on the correct sight in their catalog give them a call and they can steer you in the right direction.
If everything works correctly I wouldn`t do anything else to it. If you do decide to have anyone work on it I`d send it to S&W after giving them a call to see what their repair lead times are currently running.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Somebody makes a nice fixed rear sight assembly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]
thats an aftermarket MILLETT rear sight.

Call brownells and order a factory S&W rear sight,  yours is the older style.

If you like the gun and plan on keeping it, modify it how you like.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#10]
You should probably give it to a Customs guy, you know, because MERICA and stuff
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an original CS-1 and it has standard S&W sights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:24:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You should probably give it to a Customs guy, you know, because MERICA and stuff
View Quote

If they recognized it as theirs, I'd sell it to them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an original CS-1 and it has standard S&W sights.
View Quote

That's what I'm seeing online.  The Milletts will come off and a standard rear will go on.  

I'm gonna have it tightened up by the S&W PC, but leave the finish alone.

I've got $300 in it.  Shelling out a couple hundred for the work won't sting too much.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#14]
It's a nice example of a pre-lock 686 but it's not that special or collectable, especially in the current condition and no original box. I'd get an original sight for it and then do whatever makes you happy with it. If you want it refinished then do it. If it were mine, I'd have them bead blast it and I'd put some better grips on it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a nice example of a pre-lock 686 but it's not that special or collectable, especially in the current condition and no original box. I'd get an original sight for it and then do whatever makes you happy with it. If you want it refinished then do it. If it were mine, I'd have them bead blast it and I'd put some better grips on it.
View Quote

Where I was at in the beginning.  No original box (it came in an old model 19 box).  A bead blast plus "retune" runs about $265 from S&W.  I think that's a decent deal.

I've got an LNIB pre-lock 686 with box and papers in the safe (not even a cylinder drag mark).  I figured it was more collectible than this one, CS model or not.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where I was at in the beginning.  No original box (it came in an old model 19 box).  A bead blast plus "retune" runs about $265 from S&W.  I think that's a decent deal.

I've got an LNIB pre-lock 686 with box and papers in the safe (not even a cylinder drag mark).  I figured it was more collectible than this one, CS model or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to agree on both counts. $265 seems like a reasonable price for a refinish and tune (especially if that price includes a good trigger tune?). From what I've seen, collectors, especially S&W collectors are all about NIB examples, especially with relatively common models like the 686. Besides, if this is something you plan to keep and shoot, who cares about resale value? Have that work done and shoot it for the next 20 years and I bet it will still be worth well more then what you paid for it (include the $265 to S&W to go over it).

I say just do it and enjoy using it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'd love to find one.

I still tried to get our instructor to let me keep one and give him back the P2000.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd love to find one.

I still tried to get our instructor to let me keep one and give him back the P2000.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to find one.

So glad the contract is over with these, now we just have to get rid of the 15k we have lying around and we can (hopefully) get something decent!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Probably gonna cost a bit more than $265.

That price covers a tune, glass beading, and some action polishing.

The trigger on mine is perfectly smooth.  Neither single or double action needs a thing.

But, I want this brought back to like new.  The cylinder end shake has me worried as I'm not sure what it requires to fix.  S&W PC is supposed to call me back on Monday and give me an estimate.

Now the question is, home much do I need to spend on it?  I've got a 1911 that's going to be sent off for some serious work that may run $700.  I gotta make sure I won't be spread too thin.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Probably gonna cost a bit more than $265.

That price covers a tune, glass beading, and some action polishing.

The trigger on mine is perfectly smooth.  Neither single or double action needs a thing.

But, I want this brought back to like new.  The cylinder end shake has me worried as I'm not sure what it requires to fix.  S&W PC is supposed to call me back on Monday and give me an estimate.

Now the question is, home much do I need to spend on it?  I've got a 1911 that's going to be sent off for some serious work that may run $700.  I gotta make sure I won't be spread too thin.
View Quote

I'd get the 1911 back and regroup.
Since this Smith looks serviceable as is, I'd wait until I could do it right with $$$$ being a lesser concern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top