Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2015 8:55:22 PM EDT
Looking for a 38 snubbie.  I have it narrowed down to the 642 and 638.  I am leaning toward the 642 due to there are no openings on top.  My concern with the 638 is the slot that the single action cocking piece rides in will collect lint, etc.  I will likely never use the single action mode.  Whichever one I pick, I'm getting the Crimson Trace model.  Opinions and experiences are appreciated
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are great guns. I had a 442, which is the same as the 642 except that it is blued instead of stainless. I only sold it to get an M&P 340 (13.3 ounces, ability to shoot .357 magnum, internal hammer, and no lock,). For a pocket gun I prefer the internal hammer. I believe the only difference between the 638 and 642 is the shrouded hammer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 642. I have a 638.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the 638

They're much neater
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the 638

http://i.imgur.com/tD1svHX.jpg?1

They're much neater
View Quote

That is one sexy J-Frame. Which Tyler T-Grip is that?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
638 for the win.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the 638.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
642/442 it's a social handgun and you don't use single action in social situations.  That little serrated hammer spur on a 638 is about useless.  Learn to shoot double action and practice.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 638.  When I went J frame shopping the 638 seemed to have a better trigger than the 642 I was looking at.  The single action is handy at the range.  As far as dust and lint getting in the top slot that has not been an issue.  I even pocket carry from time to time and stuff just doesn't get in there.  

Either will work, there essentially the same pistol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#9]
638.. You'll get more looks
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

jsucraig why did you change?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something about the ergonomics with the 642 killed the webbing of my thumb. I'm not recoil sensitive, my favorite handgun is a Smith & Wesson M&P Compact in .357 Sig. I know that it sounds weird but the 638's perceived recoil is much less. Also the DA Trigger on the 642 is worlds different than the 638. Plus I do like the combination of a shrouded hammer and Single Action.  After initial range session I installed the APEX Tactical J-frame trigger kit in the 638, polished some internals, and removed the lawyer lock internals. the 638 is now my everyday pocket carry handgun. I'm wanting to get rid of the horrible Hogue 'Combat' grips with some nice wood service grips with possible Tyler T-Grip.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
To me a pocket snubby is a double action only and cutting open the top complicates a perfect simple gun . It is not real likely for crap to fall in there or something to jamb it up but it could happen.

My 642 is the end all be all last chance gotta go bang when I pull the trigger gun . I want no extra stuff on it.

Now of course S&W makes both guns because folks come to their own conclusions but the 642 is all I want and just what I want
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
If I had it to do over I'd think hard about the 638, if for no other reason then to get that SA option.

Alas, I'm stuck with my 642.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my 638.

Both models are solid.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My concern with the 638 is the slot that the single action cocking piece rides in will collect lint, etc.
View Quote

This really isn't an issue - I've had and carried the 638 / 438 (blued model) for years, zero problems.

Quoted:
I will likely never use the single action mode.  
View Quote

If this is the case, I might lean towards the 642, because you can get that new without the stupid damn lock.

Either will serve you well.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I CCW mine a lot

....a lot more often than I expected to

I practice with it a lot too.

CCW means lint and I want less openings for lint to migrate into

....and yet....every time I see a 638, I fucking want one  ( S&W revolvers are worse than black rifle disease )

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This really isn't an issue - I've had and carried the 638 / 438 (blued model) for years, zero problems.

If this is the case, I might lean towards the 642, because you can get that new without the stupid damn lock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My concern with the 638 is the slot that the single action cocking piece rides in will collect lint, etc.

Quoted:
I will likely never use the single action mode.  

The stupid damn lock can be removed in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know.
Or you can just buy it that way and save yourself the trouble.

Just saying, if he has no interest in shooting it SA, a no lock 642 makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know.

Just saying, if he has no interest in shooting it SA, a no lock 642 makes sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.

OP never said anything about not wanting the lock.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]
They are all great guns.  My wife has the 442 with pink grips.  It actually came with two sets of grips; pink and black.  I have the 640, so that I can shoot .357.  I pocket carry it during the 1% of the time I can't carry my 5" .45 Kimber.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the 638.  You will use the single action feature at some point.  I said I wouldn't shoot SA, but I did, and the gun is very accurate, and fun to shoot with standard velocity ammo,
You can train with self defense ammo DA, but have fun target shooting, SA.
A Qtip in the slot, once in awhile, and the lint problem is nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get the 638.  You will use the single action feature at some point.  I said I wouldn't shoot SA, but I did, and the gun is very accurate, and fun to shoot with standard velocity ammo,
A Qtip in the slot, once in awhile, and the lint problem is nothing to worry about.
View Quote

This = THREAD
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

fuck

now I really want one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I looked at the 438 at the same time I was handling the 442 I ultimately bought. What made me decide to go with the 442, being that this was going to be a  ccw gun, was the admittedly remote chance the hammer on the 438 could prevent the gun from firing due to an improper grip in a hurried firing situation.

I found that if I choked up on the grip, the web of my hand would catch the hammer as it came back. That being said, I still want a 438 some day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here. I had a 649, the full stainless version of the 638. I carried it mostly IWB but occasionally in a pocket. I got a lot of lint built up in the hammer slit from time to time but it never caused any trouble. A Qtip in the slot, just as posted, wiped the lint right out. The hammer slot is actually sealed up pretty well and the lint just can't get in. I have a 638 on my list sometime, I just have other guns that I want more.

Bub75
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I really like my 642.  I bet you'd be happy with either..  My thoughts echo above, I don't want anything extra.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I always like the look of the old bodyguards when I was a kid. My grandfather told me of two cops who stood out in the rain with their bodyguards and find out a couple of months later the importance of maintenance. That shroud acts like a funnel for moisture to get into the internals. The shrouded hammers are the worst attributes of the Chief special without a huge benefit. They are also the worst attributes of the centennial without any advantage over chief special.
I much prefer a 442/642. I had a 640 no dash, the best S&W j frame ever made, and foolishly sold it for a 640-1. I would like to find a 632 Pro which is a 6 shot 327 Federal magnum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Thank you for all the great replies.  I went to a local shop and handled them both, with the exception being neither were the Crimson Trace version that I am wanting.  After dry firing them both, I much prefer the trigger on the 638.  It seems more consistent, lighter and smoother.  I went home and ordered the 638 CT on Gallery of Guns.  It will be at the dealer I deal with on Tuesday.  I emailed Davidson's earlier in the week, and they DO include the CT laser in their lifetime warranty if it's sold on the gun.  Now I need suggestions on belt holsters!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a 638 first, then bought a 642 a couple months ago. My dad now owns the 638 and I carry the 642. Both are great, but I prefer the 642.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#30]
can always look into the mode 49. all steel and show up cheap every now & then. Mines from 71

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Range Report:  I picked up a high ride belt holster from El Paso Saddlery via Midway.  The 638 carries like a dream!  Went to the range today.  After I got the Crimson Trace sighted in, I shot some Hornady Critical Defense rounds at 21 feet.  Offhand in single action, I had 3 touching, and the other 2 were within 2.5 inches.  I am very satisfied to say the least!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top