Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2015 10:57:20 PM EDT
I need another full size 9mm.  
Owned Glocks my entire life. Recently started digging the M&P 9 Pro. Borrowed a friends for a while, and I cant find any gripes thus far. Gun points so well, feels great, hits well, and just seems right.

So, those of you that were like me. Glock all the way.
Do you feel the unfailing, boring  Glock reliability is there in the m&p?  For now, that is the only area I have misgivings about.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Granted I don't have a lot of experience with glocks, but my M&p is accurate as heck, feels great in my hand(adjustable hand grip) , and I have had maybe one ftf in 500 rounds or so, and I'm not entirely sure it was the guns fault. I like em.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
i went from a gen 4 glock 19 to a M&P 9 LE model recently. I still miss the glock sometimes but i just think it's because i had it for a while.
From the start i had my eyes on the M&P, just waited until they worked out most of the kinks before switching over.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've owned a G21 .45acp most of my adult life, I love the gun.  When the ammo shortage happened there wasn't any ammo to buy except. 40S&W so I got an M&P40.  I gotta say, from the first time I held it I was in love.  My M&P trigger is garbage but that's an issue they have fixed from what I've heard.  The ergonomics are very, very good and the good shoots great (accounting for the crappy trigger I haven't been able to replace yet ).  I've not shot the M&P45 yet but if it's as good the 40, it might go on my list.  I'm not sure it would replace my G21 but it might join it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I sold the gen4 G21 and got an M&P 45c. No comparison tween the two.
The 21 was like holding a brick, and I have big hands.
That said, I still have the 19 and 17. Cant really see flippin those for an M&P 9.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I converted from Glocks to Smith & Wesson M&P's about a year ago. I went with the Pro series and have a 9MM an 40S&W in them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Similar situation as the OP.  Been shooting Glocks for a long time.  Every time I handle or shoot an M&P I think about how great the ergos are and how really awful the trigger is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I owned two G17's and sold them.  Now I have M&P 9's and love them.  S&W is the better of the two pistols IMO.  The design fits better in my hands too.  They go bang every time too.  I've never had a stove-pipe jam in the Smith & Wessons.  I can't say the same for the Glocks I had.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a G17, a G19 and a full size M&P 9.  They work.  All have been totally reliable.  Accuracy the same.  The ergonomics on the Smith are hard to beat.  I don't think the triggers are all that different.  Neither are much to write home about.  It's a duty pistol not a high end 1911.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used Glocks since the 90's and have never had anything bad to say about the weapons at all.  I had some negative dealings with S&W's in the past and never gave the M&P a fair shake until late last year.  I dug how they felt in the hand so I bought one.  I shot it and had regrets about not doing it sooner.  I liked it so good that I bought a second one within a week of the first!  The only gripes I have is the trigger, which has been discussed a lot, so both of mine got Apex kits from the get go.  The other is capacity in the .45.  I do like the M&P a lot better than my tried and true Glocks overall though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Similar situation as the OP.  Been shooting Glocks for a long time.  Every time I handle or shoot an M&P I think about how great the ergos are and how really awful the trigger is.
View Quote

The Egonomics are far superior.  Stock Glock Triggers are nothing to get excited about.  The Thing everyone does to a Glock is work over the trigger, remove the plastic sights, and go to exteneded slide release.

With a $40 spring tun up from Apex you have the trigger where it needs to be, and you don't have to spend more $$$ to upgrade sights and slide release.

My M&P 9mm has run with all ammo I've fed is so far with great accuracy and never a bobble or hang.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 I've never had a stove-pipe jam in the Smith & Wessons.  I can't say the same for the Glocks I had.
View Quote

Learn how to hold them correctly...
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Gotta say that I'm one of the glock-converts.  Had a 19 that I shot the shit out of.  I still love it.  It's the gun that everything else was compared against, every gun eventually finding its way to a for sale ad.  

My FS 9 has some upgraded sights, the APEX tactical trigger job.  When I CC it, it rides in a Bravo Company MTAC, and when not, in a Bravo concealment holster with an Insight APL.  Love this gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Never carried a Glock 19 much and when I bought my 9C I definitely shot it better. I have come to the point now where there isn't much in it for me  either way.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]

My glocks are safe queens now!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a long time Glock guy but never one of those guys who bought into the "Glock Perfection" BS. They got a lot going for them but are not perfect IMO. So that being the case I've tried all of the "Glock Improved" attempts (XD, M&P, etc.) hoping to find something vastly improved but I have yet to find such a gun.

Now as far as the M&P's go, while I don't find them vastly superior in any way, I do feel they are a comparative equal meaning better in some aspects, not as good in others but overall a viable alternative. When people ask me which one to get, I tell them to try both and then get the one that they like better or shoot better.

The big thing for me that kept me in the Glock camp is, I have a lot of time and money invested in the Glock platform (trigger time, guns, mags, parts, holsters, etc.) and I didn't see any point in setting all of that aside just to switch to a different platform. The trigger was the biggest thing for me, not that the Glock trigger is great but I still think it's better then the M&P (without having to upgrade it). The M&P is a little more ergonomic but it's not a night and day difference for me.

That said I did just get an M&P Shield last night because I'm tired of waiting for Glock to come out with a single stack 9mm. I waited for S&W to come out with a non-manual safety version and then let that one be out for a little bit so they had time to work the bugs out. The one I got has a decent trigger but the reset is still a little long and weak for my liking but then again, I'm comparing it to a Glock which has one of the best reset's out there IMO. An Apex trigger may be in my future?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#16]
M&P felt great in my hand, but the trigger was horrible and I didn't want to spend more on a trigger job.

I ended up getting a gen 4 G19 since it had the same grip, sights, trigger as my issued G21 duty weapon.
Plus I got a great deal with the blue ribbon program.

I am sure I will end up with a M&P one day when I am not such a cheapskate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
M&P felt great in my hand, but the trigger was horrible and I didn't want to spend more on a trigger job.

I ended up getting a gen 4 G19 since it had the same grip, sights, trigger as my issued G21 duty weapon.
Plus I got a great deal with the blue ribbon program.

I am sure I will end up with a M&P one day when I am not such a cheapskate.
View Quote

Yes.  You sold a fantastic weapon that for a mere 80 dollars would have blown every other striker platform out of the water in terms of trigger.

To the OP, I was an exclusive Glocker for about 5 years before I made the switch.  Fired the M&P a few times and it was a mass exodus of all things Glock.  I've picked up a few Glocks since then to have one in the collection but always find myself getting rid of them, because they just don't get shot.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#18]
If magpul had made glock mags before I bought an M&P I would have bought a glock 26 and 19

But I'm happy enough with the M&P.  The 9C conceals better than I thought it would.  I bought it sight unseen so wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a G17, a G19 and a full size M&P 9.  They work.  All have been totally reliable.  Accuracy the same.  The ergonomics on the Smith are hard to beat.  I don't think the triggers are all that different.  Neither are much to write home about.  It's a duty pistol not a high end 1911.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had somewhere around 25 Glocks and bought my first M&P last summer.  I shot it a little and quickly decided it needed better sights, stippling, and a better trigger.  I find the M&P ergonomics to be slightly better.  As a lefty I especially like the ambi slide release.  Glocks have a better stock trigger, but an Apex trigger in an M&P is better than anything you can put in a Glock IMO.  I've put around 2000 rounds through my M&P without a single hiccup using both the stock barrel and a Wilson threaded barrel (with and without a suppressor).  I am just as confident in my M&P as I am any of my Glocks.  My only complaint about the M&P is that it is a little more difficult to work on than a Glock.  It's not rocket science, but there are a few more tiny parts and it requires a little more finesse to get one back together.  I will fully admit that I'm all thumbs and tend to think the answer to most problems is using a bigger hammer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I have had Glocks for years. I also had a few oddballs and knockoffs, like Steyr and XD. Two years ago my wife chose the Shield as her cc gun. I liked it, decided to give S&W a try. Since then, I've traded away my non-Glocks and replaced them with M&Ps. I still carry my 19 and 26 almost daily, but my nightstand gun is a 45c with a light.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I started out with Glocks and branched out from there.  I tried a couple of Sigs but they were too heavy and DA/SA was not my strong suit.  I really liked my Walther PPQ, but it was just too big to carry comfortably.  I then ended up with an M&P9c and M&P9 which were fantastic.  The ergos are so much better than Glocks' and the recoil is slightly softer.  BUT (you knew there would be a "but") I still didn't have one handgun that could do it all, and that was what I've always been after.  Cabela's had a used Glock 19 for a good price and I knew going into it that it would be a bad idea.  I ended up selling pretty much everything and I'm down to two 19s now.  The size is perfect, and it has a big enough rail for proper lights (X300/TRL-1).  My biggest Glock complain, the shittay ergonomics, was resolved with a dremel and a soldering iron.  If S&W made a mid-size M&P, I would've gone with it and never looked back.  But even if they release one at this point, I have too much time and money (software and hardware) invested in my G19s to switch back.  

For the TL:DR crowd.  

G26 < M&P9c
G17 < M&P9
G19 > Everything else

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]
had this happen in the shop two weeks ago.

Hey I bought this M&P and sold my Glock, can you make the trigger shorter and make it feel like the Glock trigger, after we polished it a year or two ago. We polished it and customer still did not like the length of travel.  I said well the only thing to do would be to buy the short trigger kit and change it, he said hoe much and I said best I remember $80-$120, he looked at me and said well that's about the money I saved when I sold the Glock and bought the M&P.

Someone for the Love of G@$ build me a polymer lower for my Hi Power and I will show you a perfect pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top