Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 11:53:22 PM EDT
I've got 6 mags for my 9mm Shield.  None of them drop free.  Anyone else experience this?  If so, any fixes?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
No. All 5 of mine drop free empty and loaded. Check the magazine body and see if it is cracked or split. Also make sure you are pressing the mag release enough and clean the inside of the magwell. See if you find anything.

I'm curious to see what you find.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I've done some sleuthing.  The magazines drop freely when empty.  They only hang up when loaded.

Upon close inspection, it appears the magazine safety bar (yes, mine has the mag safety) is pressing so hard on the back of the magazine that it is preventing it from dropping.  With the slide removed, and loaded magazine inserted, I can actually see the tip of the mag safety bar engage the primer pocket on the next cartridge and lock up against it.  When pushing the release the mag drops 1/4 of an in. or so until the tip of the mag safety bar finds the rear of the cartridge and primer pocket.

With a small dental pick, if I gently pull back on the mag safety bar, the mag immediately drops.  The spring tension on the mag safety is quite stout, so it is pressed very solidly against the back of the magazine and/or cartridge.

I will either need to modify the spring or the mag safety bar.  I'm thinking that some very judicious filing (more like polishing) the leading edge of the safety bar may shorten it by say a few thousandths(?) so that it cannot either: 1. press so hard against the magazine, or 2, have the tip engage the primer pocket on the cartridge.

Any thoughts?

ETA:  I've also just noticed that the back of the magazines shows a wear pattern with a groove started exactly where the mag safety bar is wearing against the magazine.  I may try to alter one of the mags by polishing that spot to see if I can even out this wear mark.
ETA2:  Polishing the mag did nothing. The tip of the mag safety bar seems to be the culprit, catching on the primer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]

I think this works the same way in the Shield.

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep you got it, Only time I have seen this is on models with the Magazine safety.
cp
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep you got it, Only time I have seen this is on models with the Magazine safety.
cp
View Quote

Other than removing the damn thing, have you determined any other fixes?
S&W won't sell either this or the loaded indicator bar as 'replacement' parts for me to experiment with.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Removing is the only option that I know of.
cp
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top