Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 10:42:22 AM EDT
I am looking at upgrading the sights on my wifes Shield and can't decide what to go with. I have a Trijicon HD front on my FNS and she really likes how bright it is. We looked at a set of the Trijicon HDs and did not like the sharp edge the rear sight has, plus I have read of a few people claiming the rear sight is pretty sharp. I saw the AmeriGlos, but can't tell how bright the square around the front tritium is. Some pictures show the Cap sights as being a very bright green, but the Shield models all look like a funky yellowish white.

Any suggestions for a set of sights that will be bright like the HDs, but not have the sharp edge?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Ameriglo is terrible with pictures of their sights, which makes it hard to buy what you want...

If she likes the Trijicon HD, go with the I Dot Pros, the only difference in sight picture is a single dot rear instead of double.

http://www.amazon.com/AmeriGlo-SW245-Ameriglo-Shield-I-dot/dp/B00A95VQSG
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at those too, but it is hard to tell what the profile of the rear sight is, at least in the few pics I found. It looks like it slopes forward in some and back in others.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked at those too, but it is hard to tell what the profile of the rear sight is, at least in the few pics I found. It looks like it slopes forward in some and back in others.

View Quote

It slopes back, both on the front side of the rear sight, and on the back side.

I have them on my full size. The Shield version is identical in everything but the width of the sight base so they fit the contour of the thinner gun.

Sorry for the photato:

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the pic and clarification. I will definitely comsider those. I might get the set and leave the factory rear sight on for now, just to prevent the edge. She is convinced a sharp edge on the rear of the sight will destroy her clothes, cut her skin, puncture her liver and increase the effects of climate change
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a set of the Orange/Green I dot sights for my Shield. They are great, the orange is very easy to pick up and get on target. It has a green tritium insert for really dark use. With my old eyes, I may file the rear sight and open it up so there's a little more open space on the sides of the front sight. Haven't really decided on that yet.  On my 1911s I've opened the rear sights to .140" and it helps a lot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have I Dot Pros on all my pistols, Shield 40 included. Love them. Prefer green dot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the pic and clarification. I will definitely comsider those. I might get the set and leave the factory rear sight on for now, just to prevent the edge. She is convinced a sharp edge on the rear of the sight will destroy her clothes, cut her skin, puncture her liver and increase the effects of climate change
View Quote

They sell just the front sights. It is a wider sight to accommodate the ring around the tritium, so it really needs to be paired up with a wider rear notch.

The rear sight thing is actually a legit gripe, especially if she dresses in layers, the inside shirt could get torn up. The Dawson or other Novak style no snag carry rear sights aren't as sharp, but I am not sure they are wide enough for that Trijicon HD/Ameriglo I Dot Pro style front sight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the CAP sights on my Glock 36.  The Green ones.  They are lightning fast to acquire, but ONLY the front sight is tritium.  Both front and rear however have lumenescent paint, and only after a small touch of lght glow brightly for at least twenty minutes.

i looked as the XS big dot because I wanted a reflex point-and-shoot set of sights.  I'd buy these again.  they are fast, and easy to be accurate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Ameriglo Pro with orange outline for the front sight is what I prefer. The orange outline of the front sight makes it fast to acquire a sight picture in daylight. The two dot tritium sight picture in low light makes it fast to acquire a sight picture in low light. They are very good sights.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my pro I dot's makes for super fast acquisition, imo is the best for conceal carry.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Ended up going with the Green ProGlo front sight and a classic green rear sight. It is the combination the wife liked best out of all the choices I showed her. Happy Wife / Happy Life
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top