Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2014 5:19:51 PM EDT
So I mainly shoot and carry Glocks, but also own and shoot FNS, SIGs, Kahr, and CZ.  The opportunity has come up for me to get a M&P 9mm full size for a good price, and I think I am going to get it just because. I'm not sure how much I want to invest in a platform that isn't my primary go to.

Usually when I see the M&P discussed the Apex ugrades are mentioned as "must haves". I was just wondering is there anyone that likes their M&P trigger as is and doesn't change it? Or should I plan on Apex parts right off the bat?

The gun in question will be brand spanking new if that matters.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
My 2008 edition is stock.   Never felt the need to change anything.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm normally a Glock, 1911, or M9 guy, but I got an M&P Core that I left the trigger stock. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
stock minus the trijicon night sites.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Stock here too.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
HELL NO - the stock trigger is atrocious, especially the newer "improved" triggers. Just awful. Apex DCAEK is the absolute minimum. I own 5 M&Ps, and all have either DCAEK or FSS kits installed. With this said, I replaced all but one of my Glocks in favor of the M&P platform as I just perform so much better with it. My application is USPSA and 3-Gun competitions, and personal defense. I highly reecommend the move from Glock to M&P, even with the extra hassle of the trigger change.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
stock minus the trijicon night sites.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Stock.  Night sights are going to happen soon but the trigger will stay the same
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HELL NO - the stock trigger is atrocious, especially the newer "improved" triggers. Just awful. Apex DCAEK is the absolute minimum. I own 5 M&Ps, and all have either DCAEK or FSS kits installed. With this said, I replaced all but one of my Glocks in favor of the M&P platform as I just perform so much better with it. My application is USPSA and 3-Gun competitions, and personal defense. I highly reecommend the move from Glock to M&P, even with the extra hassle of the trigger change.
View Quote

<shrug>. M&p9, 9c, and shield, all stock.  They were all fine after about 200 rounds/dry fire..
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
my Shield and Pro are stock. My 9C is custom.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
stock 2014 M&P Pro series with 10-8 sights. That's it. It has a reset similar to my glocks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
My Shield is stock. My 2008 fullsize 9 is back at S&W now, hopefully getting the newer SBH with the larger spring and performance center sear. After that I'll throw in the H trigger bar and new slide stop for a grand total of $30ish in parts.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I own a 40 f and a 9 c . Both have  stock triggers and are not too bad at all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Stock
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Stock 9 Pro and 9C not as bad as I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#15]
My first was FS 9MM.  Terrible trigger.  Literally took 2 fingers to get it to go bang on day 1 at the range.  Came home, field stripped and cleaned it and after cleaning I was showing a buggy how hard it was to pull the trigger (to release the striker) and it stopped releasing at all after 3 or 4 pulls.  I put an APEX kit in it and it was great for several months, then I got into failures to fire (2 to 3 from each magazine).  Tried all kinds of stuff.  No success for awhile.

Before the FS 9MM went south I got a FS .40 S&W and bought a S&W .357 SIG barrel for it.  The trigger was great right out of the box.  I never had an issue with the trigger/striker/failures to fire on the second gun.  Till I swapped the APEX parts from the 9MM to the new gun.  Then the 9MM worked great and the .357 SIG gun got into the failures to fire.  Finally worked through that after realizing it was the combination of S&W and APEX parts and doing some tweaking to the trigger bar and stoning of the back side of the APEX sear.  Now that gun is working fine (350 rounds so far with no failures to fire).

I guess the answer is the need for the trigger/striker upgrades depends on the S&W trigger feel when you get it and how you like/dislike it vs. other guns.  I can tell you that of all the plastic pistols I have I rate the triggers this way, from best to worst

CZ PO7/P09 are the best (not striker fired, but plastic framed), Glock is 2nd best, XDM is third best, M&P the worst.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#16]
New 9mm not really needed unless you add the AEK....45's yes. a Hard Sear and USB and AEK. I am not a fan of the factory S&W hinged trigger.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

New 9mm not really needed unless you add the AEK....45's yes. a Hard Sear and USB and AEK. I am not a fan of the factory S&W hinged trigger.
View Quote

The new 45s are or will be available with the new reset trigger, too.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My Shield 9 is stock, and I actually like the trigger.  It's very predicable for a striker fired handgun. The only thing I wanna change is the how many I have.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I would do just because you get rid of the mim sear for a machined sear and a better trigger pull. Although I've read that the m&p's come with a machined sear now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
My competition guns get upgraded triggers. Everything else is stock.

Factory M&P triggers are hit and miss. Most of mine were decent out of the box, but one that was atrocious. It ended up getting the Performance Center sear out of my Pro when I replaced it with an Apex FSS for 3 gun.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
My Shield had a 8+ pound trigger out of the box. It has a safety so there is NO reason for a 8+ lb trigger. I put the Apex Duty/Carry kit in it and eventually put the Apex trigger it it. It now has a 4lb 4oz consistent trigger pull. It also has less takeup. overtravel, and a very glass rod trigger break!.  All of my other carry guns are 1911s and they are all set with 4lb triggers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#22]
My 9C is stock; I shoot it just fine. Seems like some are better than others, I guess I was fortunate with it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I played around with a M&P CORE 5" yesterday....Couldnt feel or hear the trigger Reset....Probably the worst trigger ive ever felt on a pistol.......Im OK with my Shield Trigger...Im not spoiled with good triggers, but I want to atleast FEEL my trigger reset....
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Shield trigger stock here and I have no desire to change it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I played around with a M&P CORE 5" yesterday....Couldnt feel or hear the trigger Reset....Probably the worst trigger ive ever felt on a pistol.......Im OK with my Shield Trigger...Im not spoiled with good triggers, but I want to atleast FEEL my trigger reset....
View Quote

Unfortunately the PRO's and CORES aren't yet getting the updated triggers.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#26]
M&P45 from late 2009.  I replaced the stock sear with the Apex sear, and it made a huge difference for the better.  Not that Glocks have a great trigger, but the stock trigger on my G19 was way better than my stock M&P45 trigger, and that made me want to improve it.  It's still gritty, but I don't care about that.  The release is waaaaay better.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats unfortunate...seems like a nice platform....IDK Smith decided to put in a god awful trigger....Deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I already did the D/CAEK on my full size .40 M&P.  I am about to do the same with my .40 Shield.  The Shield trigger isn't bad, but it is heavy.
For training and consistency, I want all my handgun triggers similar...just like I have Giselle SSA-Es in all my ARs.  Consistency.
When going back & forth from the D/CAEK .40 Full size to the stock Shield, the Full Size trigger does seem light.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I run stock as well. Trigger really doesn't bother me
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
My 2 year old full size 9mm had a ridiculous 9 lb trigger.  I even questioned the dealer if it was a MA gun or from some other state that requires such a heavy trigger.  Put in the Apex FSS and got it down to about 4 lbs. Much shorter length,  no grit, just infinitely better.  My dad has a 9c and besides the long travel, breaks smooth and has no grit with the stock trigger. I'm buying my wife a full sized 9mm and a 9mm shield for Christmas and our anniversary.  All will be getting Apex kits.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#32]
One has updated sights but besides that, yup bone stock I see no issue with the trigger and I get pretty good groups so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One has updated sights but besides that, yup bone stock I see no issue with the trigger and I get pretty good groups so I'm happy.
View Quote

Yup. My 9c is bone stock with the exception of a set of Ameriglo I-Dot Pros, and have no complaints. It's not a target gun, nor is it a safe queen or piece of range jewelry. It's a tool, so as long as it goes bang when I squeeze the trigger, I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I got my 9c in 2012 I think (maybe it was 2013 my memory is foggy and I don't feel like looking for the receipt.. everything is all a blur, sometimes I don't even know why I wake up in the morning) and the trigger seems pretty OK.  I don't have a lot of handgun experience so I don't have much to compare it to, but its not heavy, I can feel and hear the reset (don't know how much that would help when firing live ammo in a self defense situation though).  I would like to compare it to the duty carry apex kit somehow but I don't know anyone who has one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Stock trigger in my full size m&p45.  Trigger is good.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Never felt the need to change anything.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got the apex DCAEK in my full size, and I think it cleans it up just nice enough to feel real comfortable.  I don't think the break is as clean as the stock glock, but the thing is that under live fire, the MP triggers work well.   Sometimes it's hard to notice when dry firing
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thats unfortunate...seems like a nice platform....IDK Smith decided to put in a god awful trigger....Deal breaker for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

30 bucks from G&R and you can get the better reset via the new trigger bar and slide stop.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So I mainly shoot and carry Glocks, but also own and shoot FNS, SIGs, Kahr, and CZ.  The opportunity has come up for me to get a M&P 9mm full size for a good price, and I think I am going to get it just because. I'm not sure how much I want to invest in a platform that isn't my primary go to.

Usually when I see the M&P discussed the Apex ugrades are mentioned as "must haves". I was just wondering is there anyone that likes their M&P trigger as is and doesn't change it? Or should I plan on Apex parts right off the bat?

The gun in question will be brand spanking new if that matters.
View Quote

I left mine stock, no plans to change it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#40]
All of my M&P triggers are stock.  I don't like it as much as the Glock trigger I'm used to, but it doesn't bother me enough to change them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought a couple of Apex trigger kits for my M&Ps in the past.  For the Shield, I just polished the plunger (chucked it in a hand drill and made it look nice and shiny with some polishing compound) and it gave me all I needed or wanted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I put DCAEKits in all three of mine, even though I hit what I was aiming when shooting them.

I even waited almost a year before putting the first DCAEKit in the first one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I leave them stock.  They work fine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#44]
My trigger is still stock but only because I haven't wanted to spend the money.  I'll try the DCAEK at some point
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#45]
My 9c and 45c are stock, the triggers are good and not as bad as some say on mine anyway but the reset is what I wish was better.  Wanted to change it but always worried if I ever had to use it would I be raked over the coals in court for defending myself with a altered gun. Like using reloaded ammo instead of factory defense ammo.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#46]
I had though about adding the apex parts, but my 9proL trigger is nice enough that I am learning to deal without the reset.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#47]
All of my M&P's are stock.  Why?  I'm aware of the APEX add-ons/upgrades, but the problem or issue is not that high of a priority.  I'm too busy trying to get the firearms I feel I need, plus all related accessories, ammo, etc before trying to fix that.  They work for now pretty much just fine.  The M&P 45 FS trigger is probably the most noticeable crappy trigger to me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I left the stock trigger in my SHIELD, but installed the APEX sere kit.
My full-size M&P had the complete polymer APEX trigger and sere kit.
My M&P Pro had the complete aluminum APEX trigger and sere kit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Only M&P I own is the Shield 9. Stock trigger. Works just fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#50]
You can spend 100.00 plus dollars on a Apex Trigger kit if You want, I did the Burwell Gunsmithing Modifications to My Sear on 2 Different M&P's a 5" Pro I had a few Years ago. And on a M&P Standard 4.25 9mm I recently picked up that was made in March of 2014 that already has a lot better reset to it than the older M&P's and after doing the Burwell Mods to My Sear the reset is even better and feels almost like My G17 wit a Taran Tactical Grand Master Trigger Kit in it! The Trigger Pull is around 4 Pounds and Crisp with just a tad of over travel. Check them out at burwellguns.com You may have to search for the do it Yourself Trigger Job that they tell You step by Step how to do with NO Spring Changes! You can go as low as 2.75lbs but I didn't take Mine that far preferring to stay around 4lbs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top