Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2014 12:34:44 AM EDT
The PO of my 629-5 Mountain Gun replaced the front sight with an XS big dot and I would like to get the original one back on there. The problem is I cannot seem to find one in stock and S&W customer service just keeps putting me on hold for 10min at a time. Does anyone know where I can find one in stock or the part number?

Also I need some grips that take up some more recoil than these. Does anyone know where I can get some Hogue Tamers without buying them S&W?

And what's a gun thread without a photo:

Thanks
-Irish
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:09:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's the sight I am after, but its been on back order with Brownells, Midway, and Numrich for almost a year (started looking in January). Does anyone know of one in stock somewhere?
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I highly recommend the new Pachmayr Diamond Pro model grips.  I put a set on my 3" 629 and I really like them.  They absorb recoil really well.  The backstrap of the frame is covered with rubber which helps a lot to tame recoil.

Here's a pic of one on a 629 but this isn't mine...
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's the sight I am after, but its been on back order with Brownells, Midway, and Numrich for almost a year (started looking in January). Does anyone know of one in stock somewhere?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wonder if you called Dawson Precision, or another front sight maker, they might have some clean used ones laying around.....leftover from fiber optic installs
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Mountain Backpacker ... I have one like it, much less common than the Mountain Gun.

Mountain Gun

Mountain Backpacker
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into the dawson precision route, I hadn't even thought of that. I've had good luck with Pachmayrs in the past so I will look into a set of those too.

I was originally looking for a Mountain Gun and came across mine on armslist. Its a fun gun to shoot. It gets some looks at the range since it is so short and ported. The PO had a trigger job done on it at some point as well and it is almost too light.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't comment on grips, but my MG pictured above has a set of modified Hogue rubber grips. The finger grooves have been sanded off. I love these grips, they fit my hand better than anything else I've tried.

Hogue now sells the rubber grips without the finger grooves.

I have another 3 inch 629 with a set of Ahrends grips, I love the looks but prefer rubber for the range.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]
No luck so far on the front sights. Still looking. I tired out some of the Hogues on a S&W 500 at a gun shop the other day and they fit pretty well. I am still debating grip options, but I need to fire some through one before I decide I think.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone seen a set of sights in the wild in the last month? I haven't had any luck. Also I ordered a set of Pachmayr Diamond Pros. I'll post up a review once they get here and get some range time. They have good reviews on S&W forum.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
did you call S&W ?

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
did you call S&W ?

View Quote

I called last month and got hung up on for the third time. I'm going to try again Monday. In the mean time my Pachmayr grips came in, so here is an update:

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I probably called S&W 3-4 times last year for parts.

Each time they hooked me up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top