Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2014 1:39:37 AM EDT
I see cheap used police trade in's available.  Has anyone tried taking a full size and cutting the grip off to fit compact magazines?

If you did, would the backstraps still stay on.  I do not own one and do not know how the backstraps attach.

Would the mag spacers that adapt full size mags to the compacts even fit right then?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
the backstraps stay in place via a takedown rod that is slid through the middle of it. if you cut down the grip none of that will work

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen pics of guns people have bobbed, but have no details on how it was done.  I'm personally waiting for the slide shrouds to come out - it's a piece that fits in the slide to cover the dust shield gap you get using a full sized slide on a compact frame.  I can't remember the manufacturer, it's mentioned on the MP forum.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm eyeing an M&P FS at my local Cabela's.  If it's still there in 2 weeks when I get employee pricing, it'll be mine and this project will be its intended purpose.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

the backstraps stay in place via a takedown rod that is slid through the middle of it. if you cut down the grip none of that will work

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/MandPBackstraps.jpg
View Quote
Epoxy could work.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Epoxy could work.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/MandPBackstraps.jpg
Epoxy could work.    
I've seen them epoxied before, it works just fine. Just have to make sure you're damn confident on which backstrap you want on there forever.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The best one I've seen in the past had a threaded insert and an allen bolt replacing the take-down tool, and a custom machined block to fill the heel of the grip behind the magazine.  I could have sworn it was somebody on this forum that had posted it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Burwell was one of the first to do it. He uses the compact frame plug.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The best one I've seen in the past had a threaded insert and an allen bolt replacing the take-down tool, and a custom machined block to fill the heel of the grip behind the magazine.  I could have sworn it was somebody on this forum that had posted it.
View Quote

I saw that here too.

I think the title of the thread had "Chopped and Bobbed" in it, but I can't be sure.

The OP of this thread is describing the "chopped" part.

"Bobbing" the M&P was the removal of the tail to look more like the M&P compact.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine was epoxied.

I'm actually planning on getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine was epoxied.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/csselftitled/1271323_10101273925764428_203430927_o.jpg

I'm actually planning on getting rid of it.
View Quote

I bob my carry gun with a crimson trace laser back strap. I used a set screw to retain the back strap instead of the take down tool. It allows me to remove it necessary. Mine looks similar to the one pictured but cleaner I have done several for others it all in making a clean cut and the dressing it up.

Its nice to be able to carry a full size but less printing. If done right it looks very clean.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I do wonder if the frame could be modified to fit the normal compact takedown tool. There is kind of a second level hole in the grip, and I wonder if it could be made wider and notched for the takedown tool. It would be tricky, but might be possible.

Epoxy or pinning has been done several times.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If only S&W would make a midsize M&P.  15 rounds, etc.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Given the popularity of the G19 I've always thought it was odd they didn't do just that.
Seems like a pretty big failure of market research.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Given the popularity of the G19 I've always thought it was odd they didn't do just that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M&P22 Compact is the exact same height and grip length as the Glock 19, but with a 3.5" barrel. It really felt like the perfect size M&P, a little longer barrel clearly wouldn't hurt, but maybe if it catches on it is a possibility.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would replace my three M&PFS 9mms if they did this.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top