Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2014 6:11:54 PM EDT
Have a M&P Vtac 9..
The only plus I see about the shield is its thinner.
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a M&P Vtac 9..
The only plus I see about the shield is its thinner.
Thoughts?
View Quote

I mean, that's pretty much it..  Both shoot very well, both feel very nice in the hand, it just comes down to whether you want thin or not.

Owning both, I'll add my input.  For IWB carry, the shield is much more comfortable.  For OWB carry, I prefer the 9c because it has a fuller grip which is more comfortable and I don't really care much about printing.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I own both, the 9c, will take the standard full size high cap mags, other then that, the shield is better in every way.My compact never sees the light of day anymore.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I own both.

The shield is my summer gun because it conceals easy. I prefer my g19 to carry than the 9c in cooler months.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own both, the 9c, will take the standard full size high cap mags, other then that, the shield is better in every way.My compact never sees the light of day anymore.
View Quote

I do like the idea of being able to use the hicap mags for both.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a M&P9C, sold it because if I could carry it, I could carry a full size.

Conversely, if I couldn't carry the doublestack, the shield worked great.

If you have a FS and a Shield, you've got your bases covered.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The larger grip of the Compact makes it much more shootable than the Shield. The Shield does conceal easier, but I don't have any trouble concealing the Compact so it's not worth the trade off for me.

That said I prefer to carry a G19 or even a M&P FS over a Compact or anything smaller.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The hardest part of a gun to conceal is the grip. The Shield is almost as long as the full-size, the compact is much shorter.  I picked the 9c.  Also, I think the width is less than a half inch more than the Shield, which is not very significant. Lastly, when I was buying, the Shield only came with a safety, and I didn't want that.  The mag compatibility is nice too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The hardest part of a gun to conceal is the grip. The Shield is almost as long as the full-size, the compact is much shorter.  I picked the 9c.  Also, I think the width is less than a half inch more than the Shield, which is not very significant. Lastly, when I was buying, the Shield only came with a safety, and I didn't want that.  The mag compatibility is nice too.
View Quote

This post pretty much covered everything I was going to say.

9c on my hip right now, and wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I own a full size, a C and  Shield all in 9mm.

The Shield usually gets carried when I'm in a non-permissive environment and need absolutely zero printing. AIWB.

The C gets carried most of the time, AIWB.

The full size w/APL gets carried when I'm running my war belt or working on a PSD and might need the extra pew-pews.

The C is most similar in size to the G19 I carried for many years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have small hands so I shoot the shield just fine.  I could see it becoming a problem if you have large hands though. Also being on the thin side I feel like I need the shield so I do not print in the summer time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Or you could buy an XDs... I did.

I also own a 9c, never gets carried, and a .45c which is no longer carried as well. XDs rules!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I also own a 9c, never gets carried, and a .45c which is no longer carried as well. XDs rules!
View Quote

OP asked about m&p's , and this is the s&w forum

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet I still gave the correct answer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
You can easily mount a light on the compact which is a definite plus.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehh I HATE shooting xds. I feel like the xd has more muzzle flip than m&P and glocks. Plus that damn grip safety.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ehh I HATE shooting xds. I feel like the xd has more muzzle flip than m&P and glocks. Plus that damn grip safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my personal opinion the M&P Shield is way under built, at least in .40, might be fine long-term in 9. Bottom line, if the Shield appeals, it's better then a HiPoint.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Complete opposite here. Had a Shield and sold it in favor of the 9c. It hides incredibly well (it was mentioned earlier - I DID carry a 9FS for a while ) and has much better capacity. Plus it can take full size mags. Huge plus in my eyes. I carry at 4:30ish IWB. Even in athletic fit t shirts and shorts I have no issues concealing the 9c.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my Shield. I never could like the compacts. There is no point in making the grip shorter if you are just going to keep it so fat and stubby. As someone else said, anywhere the compact will carry, the full size will carry too. Wide/short pistols are just weird to me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
After considering the Shield now that there is a version without a safety I played with one recently and didn't find it that much more comfortable in my waistband, and it was more uncomfortable in the hand.

Plus I really like that the compact does well as a 'do all' gun. When traveling I can use my regular ccw as a nightstand gun with a full size mag and light if I so choose.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

MY M&P FS is so concealable its not funny.  This post pretty much nails it.; IMO the Compact isn't necessary with the Shield existing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#23]
The Shield 9mm is my EDC.  It is what it is, a small easily concealed, accurate, reliable SD weapon.  The thinness is what appeals to me.  A set of Talon rubber grips makes a big difference without adding any thickness.  If I were limited to only one carry gun, I would take the Shield over the compact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top