Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 3:24:12 AM EDT
I have an M&P45 Compact.  Looking for a weaponlight, in particular with one specific requirement:  I don't want the light to extend at all past the muzzle, even better if its pretty much flush.

Any suggestions?  Pictures?

As far as I an tell, the Viridian C5L is my only option?  Maybe the Insight X2?.  I was interested in the Viridian X5L but can't find any pictures of it online to tell, but I think it is flush with the full size .45 so no go for my compact.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat so I'll follow your lead.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
why cant it extend past? that extension will keep your gun in battery if you are hands on with someone and need to make a contact shot
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why cant it extend past? that extension will keep your gun in battery if you are hands on with someone and need to make a contact shot
View Quote

Because it adds to the length.  If I wanted the gun .5"-1" longer, I would have bought one with a longer barrel and sight radius to take advantage of that.  I have been considering picking up a full size slide to have a "CCO" style M&P45.  (compact grip, full size slide)  In which case I will just run with the X5L most likely.  And, secondly, I just think it looks silly.

As to your scenario, just.. no.  Sorry, but that is just so ridiculously far fetched and even if you wanted to make that argument - the 1 in a bajillion odds of it helping in a fight that will probably never even happen are outweighed by my reason above, for me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because it adds to the length.  If I wanted the gun .5"-1" longer, I would have bought one with a longer barrel and sight radius to take advantage of that.  I have been considering picking up a full size slide to have a "CCO" style M&P45.  (compact grip, full size slide)  In which case I will just run with the X5L most likely.  And, secondly, I just think it looks silly.

As to your scenario, just.. no.  Sorry, but that is just so ridiculously far fetched and even if you wanted to make that argument - the 1 in a bajillion odds of it helping in a fight that will probably never even happen are outweighed by my reason above, for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you'll be carrying this pistol on your person, then I get the length argument.  Otherwise, I don't get that at all.  If you want a flush light because you think it looks better; all the power to you.  All that I can say is that no compact light will ever match a full-size light for power, reliability, and holster choice.  From personal experience, I find that the TLR-1 is perfect for the 45c.  It's not huge but it's still plenty rugged (unlike smaller lights).  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't see me going into your threads and telling you that I think its pointless to have such a large light on your pistol, and that it doesn't make any sense.  

"No compact light will match a full size for power" - no shit sherlock.  Why don't you mount a Surefire M962 1000 lumen light on your pistol?  You're TLR-1 will never match it.  You draw the line at the TLR-1's size apparently.  I draw mine at the muzzle.  Most any modern LED light is sufficient at handgun distances in my opinion.  I just need to positively ID targets at indoor distances(1-20 yards generally).

I'm not asking for everyone to understand, I'm asking if anyone knows of any lights that meet the criteria.  If you don't, and you just feel the need to argue, recommend what you use, and why you think you're setup is the right setup for everyone; then stay out.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You don't see me going into your threads and telling you that I think its pointless to have such a large light on your pistol, and that it doesn't make any sense.  

"No compact light will match a full size for power" - no shit sherlock.  Why don't you mount a Surefire M962 1000 lumen light on your pistol?  You're TLR-1 will never match it.  You draw the line at the TLR-1's size apparently.  I draw mine at the muzzle.  Most any modern LED light is sufficient at handgun distances in my opinion.  I just need to positively ID targets at indoor distances(1-20 yards generally).

I'm not asking for everyone to understand, I'm asking if anyone knows of any lights that meet the criteria.  If you don't, and you just feel the need to argue, recommend what you use, and why you think you're setup is the right setup for everyone; then stay out.  Thanks.
View Quote

OP, please pump the brakes a bit, your posts in this thread have been a little bit "spicy" to say the least. Being more blunt, stop being snappy with them brother, they're trying to help!
These guys are trying to offer assistance, they have honest questions. They're taking the time to help you out, and step one for these guys is figuring out exactly what problem you're trying to solve here, by switching to a more compact light setup.

I too have an MP45c. I've run a streamlight M6 on it, as well as an X300. Both stuck out in front of the muzzle, neither posed a problem. I got the illumination and reliability/durability/battery life benefits that come from running a standard sized pistol light, and not the multi-cell rifle light stated as a strawman argument. The other posters with the M&Ps have done the same, and report the same satisfaction.
Like most people, when they have a good experience with something, that's the direction they point you in. Supposedly, army special forces guys are running midsize glocks with x300s that stick out past the muzzle. They are not having issues.

It sounds like you want a more compact light for aesthetic purposes.
The other posters in this thread were probably trying to say, by being kind and implying such, "that reason is stupid". A lot of guys might think that.

If however, you STILL want a more compact light, good news. They make them.
Off the top of my head, this includes:

- crimson trace makes a product called the "light guard", they also make the "rail master pro", and "Rail master"
- Viridian CTL
- TLR-3
- TLR-4 (has a lazer)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:57:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP, please pump the brakes a bit, your posts in this thread have been a little bit "spicy" to say the least. Being more blunt, stop being snappy with them brother, they're trying to help!
These guys are trying to offer assistance, they have honest questions. They're taking the time to help you out, and step one for these guys is figuring out exactly what problem you're trying to solve here, by switching to a more compact light setup.

I too have an MP45c. I've run a streamlight M6 on it, as well as an X300. Both stuck out in front of the muzzle, neither posed a problem. I got the illumination and reliability/durability/battery life benefits that come from running a standard sized pistol light, and not the multi-cell rifle light stated as a strawman argument. The other posters with the M&Ps have done the same, and report the same satisfaction.
Like most people, when they have a good experience with something, that's the direction they point you in. Supposedly, army special forces guys are running midsize glocks with x300s that stick out past the muzzle. They are not having issues.

The other posters in this thread were probably trying to say, by being kind and implying such, "that reason is stupid". A lot of guys might think that.

- crimson trace makes a product called the "light guard", they also make the "rail master pro", and "Rail master"
- Viridian CTL
- TLR-3
- TLR-4 (has a lazer)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Viridian CTL
- TLR-3
- TLR-4 (has a lazer)

Coming in and telling me my criteria is wrong and I should have the same criteria as them is not helping.  It does absolutely nothing.  Coming into threads, ignoring the question, and just saying 'What you want doesn't make sense, do this because it's what I do' is just irritating and unhelpful.

The TLR-3 and TLR-4 extend past the muzzle.

The lightguard looks interesting, I will have to research that one a bit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:07:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:24:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Coming in and telling me my criteria is wrong and I should have the same criteria as them is not helping.  It does absolutely nothing.  Coming into threads, ignoring the question, and just saying 'What you want doesn't make sense, do this because it's what I do' is just irritating and unhelpful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Viridian CTL
- TLR-3
- TLR-4 (has a lazer)

Okay, now my patience is being flexed - Dictating the terms in which you would like to be helped will not win friends here.
Being objective, they honestly they did a better job of explaining their rationale than you did of yours

If you're not going to be patient with those trying to help, or at least thankful when they do, then no one will step up.

You're welcome, and I'm out of this thread.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Okay, now my patience is being flexed - Dictating the terms in which you would like to be helped will not win friends here.
Being objective, they honestly they did a better job of explaining their rationale than you did of yours

If you're not going to be patient with those trying to help, or at least thankful when they do, then no one will step up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Viridian CTL
- TLR-3
- TLR-4 (has a lazer)

Explaining their rationale?  What does that have to do with this?  This isn't a thread on what is the best size weapon light and who can rationalize it the best.  It's a thread asking if anyone knows of any other lights that meet the size criteria.

How is me asking a question followed by somebody ignoring the question helping me?  It's not.

Let's make an analogy, since for some reason this whole concept is not understood:
If I posted in a car forum - "Which snow tires are the best on ice?" and somebody said "Don't get snow tires, get all seasons.  I use them just fine where I live." - Would they be helping? No.  They are just looking for another outlet to post their opinion.

I'm not even sure why you are getting so worked up, you actually are the only one who posted useful information. I think I am going to be getting the Crimson Trace Lightguard.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I know that the Viridian C5-L (light/laser combo) sits flush with the muzzle of an XD(m) 3.8 which is pretty much the same size as the 9c.  My buddy has one, and the light output isn't great, but it may meet your needs if you're not as worried about lumens as you are about keeping a compact package.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
OP sounds like the kind of guy who doesn't need any help from us. We CLEARLY don't get it.
I think I'll stick with the X300 on my 45C and X300U on my 45FS for light quality, and you know, for that 1:1000000 chance of needing to make a contact shot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^ I immediately thought this after watching an https://www.facebook.com/ActiveSelfProtection video where a officers weapon comes out of battery. Which also made me think of Darrin Wilson's coming out of battery when again an enormous individual has the top position and is bearing down.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=692816667492783&set=vb.102416569866132&type=2&theater
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Just saying is all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top