Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2014 7:17:55 PM EDT
I just picked up a new 40 Shield and could not be happier.   I have owned and love my M&P 40c for a while now and decided to buy a Shield for my EDC gun.   I just wanted to share my joy with the S&W community over my new purchase.  

I do have a question as well.   I noticed while dry firing the Shield that the trigger seems rough and heavy at almost the very end of the trigger pull.  Is this normal and will get smoother after some use?   My 40c has a pretty crisp trigger, especially compared to my Shield.

Another question, is it normal that I can't release the slide with an empty mag?  I tried the slingshot method and even the slide release lever with an empty mag.  Either way, I had to drop the mag to let the slide go home.  It does't really bother me because I do not plan on needing to drop the slide on an empty mag often.  Just curious about this as my 40c will release the slide regardless.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The empty mag is designed to lock the slide back, so yes, removing it will allow the slide to release.

APEX or Burwell is the way to go for smooth trigger jobs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I understand the mag is designed to lock the slide back when empty.   But all my other pistols allow me to release the slide with an empty mag still in the gun.   The Shield won't allow me to release the slide unless I drop the mag.  Is this a matter of design on the Shield or something that will go away once it's broken in?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It just means that the magazine spring is good and stiff....which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, okay. I should of thought of that guess I will have to dump a few hundred rounds out of it this weekend to try and weaken the spring
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, your trigger absolutely smooth and lighten with use..
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been on the fence about getting a .40 shield as a carry gun and this thread makes me want one even more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top