Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 12:56:55 PM EDT
I'm thinking of picking up a venerable 5906 from a LGS that is a police trade in.

It will mainly be a range gun as I have other HD and concealed carry firearms at my disposal. I know they are rock solid and practically indestructible so there's no question if they are good or not.

My questions center on the practical. How hard (or easy) is it to get parts for a gun that hasn't been produced since 1999? (and forgive the ignorance of that question as all the guns I have are still in production in one way or another so parts availability is no issue). Also, what parts are areas of concern?

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've read where S&W is going to quit supporting the older S&W pistols and has really been expanding their polymer line.  It is getting harder to find factory new parts for the 2nd & 3 rd generation S&W's but considering how many were manufactured you'd think Numerich would have no trouble buying and reselling used parts.  

You might be surprise how long a 3rd generation pistol would last with light use.  The 5906 are well made but I always preferred the alloy frame 5903/5904.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
While it's true some parts are getting harder to come by, the 3rd Gen autos are close to indestructible. Get a few hammer, recoil and mag springs, either OEM, which S&W still makes a few runs of, or replacements from Wolff, and you should be GTG.

Are you looking at the LE trade-ins from Ed's for $249?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
A rep told me on the phone just last week that they still have parts and still support the third Gens. They're sending me the updated grips for my 5904 made in 1989 even though I'm not the original owner and that the recall is 25 years old. This flies in the face of what's been spread across the internet, but that's my personal experience with S&W customer service when it comes to the 3rd. Gens.

ETA: The best proof to support that S&W is still supporting the 3rd. Gen guns is that places like Midway still have "backorder ok" on many of the parts. Best thing to do is call S&W customer service and ask them. Be aware that one person may be knowledgable and the other may not have a clue. It's the same with other manufacture CS reps as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While it's true some parts are getting harder to come by, the 3rd Gen autos are close to indestructible. Get a few hammer, recoil and mag springs, either OEM, which S&W still makes a few runs of, or replacements from Wolff, and you should be GTG.

View Quote

Yes! Actually picked one up yesterday (Saturday). $267 OTD. They have plenty along with Model 99s and trade-in M&Ps.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes! Actually picked one up yesterday (Saturday). $267 OTD. They have plenty along with Model 99s and trade-in M&Ps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been kicking myself for hesitating (and missing) a 5906TSW for $350 the other day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have been kicking myself for hesitating (and missing) a 5906TSW for $350 the other day.
View Quote

damn!
I wouldn't mind one of those myself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

My buddy might have been the guy that stole that from you. >.<
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe one, they had three when I looked. None a week later.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link to $250 5906's?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Link to $250 5906's?
View Quote

This is the website for Ed's Public Safety:
http://www.edspublicsafety.com/

Here is their Gunbroker page:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=932936

Give them a call. It looks like they listed a 669 and 6906. I don't know how often they list the 5906s. I was able to go into the store and choose from a couple.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A rep told me on the phone just last week that they still have parts and still support the third Gens. They're sending me the updated grips for my 5904 made in 1989 even though I'm not the original owner and that the recall is 25 years old. This flies in the face of what's been spread across the internet, but that's my personal experience with S&W customer service when it comes to the 3rd. Gens.

ETA: The best proof to support that S&W is still supporting the 3rd. Gen guns is that places like Midway still have "backorder ok" on many of the parts. Best thing to do is call S&W customer service and ask them. Be aware that one person may be knowledgable and the other may not have a clue. It's the same with other manufacture CS reps as well.
View Quote

You lucked out... After reading your post, I called S&W Customer Service and asked about the grips on my 5906 and 6906 pistols, the lady asked if they were becoming brittle and cracking.

I said that I didn't know because they have been in the safe for a couple of years, and I asked if I should be concerned?  She asked me for the serial numbers and after I gave them to her.

She said that my 5906 was made in 1989 and my 6906 was made in 1988. She said that they were made well before the recall, and that they are fine.

I don't get it? Yours was made in 1989 per your post. Either you're lucky, or I got a hold of someone that just isn't interested in helping out.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You lucked out... After reading your post, I called S&W Customer Service and asked about the grips on my 5906 and 6906 pistols, the lady asked if they were becoming brittle and cracking.

I said that I didn't know because they have been in the safe for a couple of years, and I asked if I should be concerned?  She asked me for the serial numbers and after I gave them to her.

She said that my 5906 was made in 1989 and my 6906 was made in 1988. She said that they were made well before the recall, and that they are fine.

I don't get it? Yours was made in 1989 per your post. Either you're lucky, or I got a hold of someone that just isn't interested in helping out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gave the guy my serial number, he told me it was made in 1989 and then said he'd send me the grips. I got them 3 days after that and put them on just yesterday. They're indeed brand new and updated. He asked me if mine had the dimple before I mentioned it to him so he was definitely one of the more knowledgeable reps.  It might be why he knew about spare parts in another warehouse as well. I probably did luck out and got someone who knows the company well and the history of S&W handguns. I called early in the morning when they opened so maybe the best reps are the first ones there.

He even asked if I wanted the curved or straight back grips. I told him curved since that what was already on there and they felt fine and pointed naturally for me.

You can see my old grips here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/153629_How_about_a_3rd__Gen_thread_for_a_change__Picked_up_my_new_to_me_5904.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top