Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2014 2:20:56 PM EDT
I bought a full size S&W M&P 40cal, awhile back, and I haven't shot it a whole lot due to the fact I cannot hit center target even at close range with it. 20 feet or so.
I'm use to a 6 O'clock hold so I can keep a visual of my target at all times. With this gun I am shooting very low. So I have to completely cover the target with my
front sight to get on paper. It's shooting center groupings, just way low. So I was wandering if you guys could help me figure out if I need to get a shorter front
sight. If so, how would I know how much shorter to get? Or should I just file the one on there down? Are there any adjustable sights available for it?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it possible that you are pulling the handgun down a little when you shoot? The M&P tends to have a really gritty trigger, and a long trigger take up.

I bought my M&P 40 about a year ago, and was having similar issues, I was missing really low and was having a hard time hitting anything. I have been shooting 1911s for many years and when I purchased the M&P, I was really shocked. I realizedIt was a combo of my technique and the trigger pull. I was used to the smooth 4 pound trigger on the 1911 that had very little take up. The stock M&P trigger is often very stiff, heavy (in some cases) gritty and it also had a lot of take up. I began practicing my technique by using snap caps, and making sure I was taking up the slack, and following through. Since the trigger was so heavy and gritty, I would often pull the pistol down unknowingly, I started seeing improvements, when I was practicing with snap caps, and my shots became straighter. After a few hundred rounds, my trigger smoothed out a bit, but I eventually had an APEX tactical duty/carry kit, as well as an apex AEK polymer trigger, this improved the trigger reset, and the overall smoothness of my trigger pull. I am now shooting very accurately with my M&P and am happy with the result.

Practice slow shooting with snap caps, and maybe try to balance a spent casing on the front sight. This will give you a good indication of which direction you are dipping your pistol if you are. I hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
How low is it hitting at 20 feet?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
DrSatchmo,

It could very well be me pulling or pushing the gun a little during the shot. I'll get some snap caps and try what you suggested.
I've went and shot again since I started this thread, and one thing I found out was, I need glasses. Lol.
I put on a pair of reading glasses, and I could see my sights much sharper and clear. Of course the bullseye was a blur at 20 feet, but I did improve some.
I was still shooting low, but not near as bad. It hasn't effected my shooting so  much with a rifle or shotgun, so I didn't really realize my eye sight has gotten that bad.
So I guess a trip to the eye doctor is in order too.

Thank you for your assistance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Topgun,

I was shooting at a 5 1/2" target, and hitting about 10 to 12" low. The little red bullseye dot is about the size of an average sized button on a shirt.
I did figure out I need glasses no doubt, but I can shoot the center out of the target with my wife's taurus pt111, or my son's brettea px4 storm.
This is why I blamed the sights on the M&P for my poor shooting with it.
But part of the problem may be the trigger on the M&P that I'm have'n trouble with, and just don't realize it.
Love the gun, just can't put it where I want it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

. . . hitting about 10 to 12" low.
View Quote

You are anticipating the recoil and subconsciously pushing the muzzle down during the trigger break.

Also, M&Ps are normally setup for a POA/POI hold from the factory not a six o'clock hold. That only accounts for a half inch at 20 feet though.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
This applied to me when I first started shooting my M&P .40 due to the factory trigger and pushing the muzzle down in anticipating recoil.

Quoted:
Quoted:
. . . hitting about 10 to 12" low.
View Quote
You are anticipating the recoil and subconsciously pushing the muzzle down during the trigger break.

Also, M&Ps are normally setup for a POA/POI hold from the factory not a six o'clock hold. That only accounts for a half inch at 20 feet though.

View Quote

Also:

What grain bullets are you shooting.

Due to their lower velocity they remain in the barrel longer so 180 grain loads are affected more by recoil and will impact inches higher at 20 feet than 155 and 165.

If you're not shooting 180  grain loads, try them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been shooting some 180gr Tula and some American Quality (remanufactured) rounds thus far. I've got some 155gr fmj American Eagle's I could try.
I've just been practicing with the cheaper ammo first.
But you guys are probably right about the anticipated recoil issue, and I'm not realizing or catching it during the shot.

Also, I would like to ask you guys about what type of hold or grip you use on the gun while shooting. As this may be a factor in my case also.
I'm a right handed shooter, and with my right hand I grasp the gun as high in the saddle of the grip as I can, like I think most normally would.
Then with my left hand I've got the butt of my left palm resting against my right hand and three of my lower left  fingers wrapped underneath the trigger guard.
Then my index finger pad is on the front of the trigger guard kinda for added forward support I think, and both thumbs facing forward.
If you guys can't visualize this, I'll try and post a pic of my hold if needed.

Thanks for all of your assistance so far.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Also, I would like to ask you guys about what type of hold or grip you use on the gun while shooting.

View Quote

Strong hand as high as possible with the backstrap centered in the web of the hand and thumb up and out of the way of the support hand. Support hand as high possible on the frame with the wrist locked and thumb pointing forward parallel with the bore and fingers overlapping strong hand fingers.

However, accurate hits can be made with any grip--the purpose of the above grip is to manage recoil.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Topgun,

That's great, thanks for posting that and explaining it, and most of all for your patients with me.
Going to give it a try this coming weekend. Should help the wife and I both in dealing with recoil.
I'll post back then and let you all know if my M&P 40 shooting improves.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Topgun,

That's great, thanks for posting that and explaining it, and most of all for your patients with me.

Going to give it a try this coming weekend. Should help the wife and I both in dealing with recoil.

I'll post back then and let you all know if my M&P 40 shooting improves.

View Quote

No problem.

FYI, expect the grip I described above to feel weird at first. It takes getting used but becomes natural with practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top