Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 11:42:30 AM EDT
Many years ago, I bought a 669 at a low, low price because the finish was damaged.  She's a fine shooter functionally.  But every time I look at this gal, I think about getting that gouge repaired AND getting her refinished.  

Would S&W repair this gouge if I send her in for refinishing?  I certainly don't want to spend ~$300 on a pistol that will be worth only $350.   So what are my options here?  

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
leave shoot it you will never wear it out expect maybe the hammer or sear.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the fix it mentality and it bugs me when my car or guns get dings.  I continually have to remind myself these are expendable tools.  If you use them they are going to show it and as soon as you buy them their value starts to decline.   I'd try to ignore the gouge and if the pistol is in a holster the gouge is not visible.  I had a model 66 come out of my border patrol holster one night running down an alley.  The revolver got dinged up pretty good and really ticked me off.  I learned a leason and it never hurt the serviceability of the model 66 but it bugged me the same as your 669.

If anything I'd consider Cerkoting the frame after trying to buff out the offensive scratches and gouge before applying the new finish.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Leave it be
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top