Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 6:08:32 PM EDT
I have an M&P 9mm fullsize. I recently noticed that the locking block seemed to have some play in it. In addition, I could see that the roll pin also had play in the hole (like the hole was oversized).

I made a video here:

s893.photobucket.com/user/tonesurfer/media/MP%20Locking%20Block/LooseLockingBlock.mp4.html

The gun has been sent to S&W TWICE now. The gun first came back with the standard form letter, saying nothing is wrong, the play is normal and the gun is in spec.

I sent it back again, explaining I disagreed and they should have a second look. S&W called me yesterday after I have sent the gun back for a second time.

Their story is still NOTHING wrong and the gun meets their specs. The CS rep says he went and inspected several other M&P that were in for repairs and several of them exhibited the same behavior.

They didn't have an explanation for why my fellow shooters don't have guns with the problem.

NOTE: The gun has about 8500 rounds by now, and has only been field stripped. I've never done a complete teardown.

That's the end for me. My next purchase will be a Glock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
In those 8500 rounds how many times has the block caused a malfunction?

Good luck with Glock customer service, I'm sure you'll love them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The locking block essentially fits into the polymer shell of the frame. Polymer flexes. When you pull the pins the locking block lifts out with relatively little pressure so the frame does not have a death grip on it. So they will move. Does the roll pin come out when you shot it? If so replace it, simple as that.

If you think that a Glock won't flex, then go for it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
OP: Like you were told on another forum...this is a non-issue and you wasted S&W's time if the gun shot fine.  I don't think S&W would be really sad to lose a customer like this...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Neither of my M&P (FS 9MM and FS .40 S&W) exhibit the slop/looseness seen in your video.

I can see why you're not happy about it.

I've had other issues with my M&Ps and moved on to CZs.  My PO7 makes my M&Ps and Glock look like shotguns on the target.  I'm hoping my P09 (only shot it once so far) is as good.  Better triggers, too.  Without spending another $100 or more for aftermarket parts.

RIght now I'm loving the P07.  But I loved the 9MM FS M&P till the problems started.  We'll see how the CZ is doing in a year or two.

Good luck with your efforts to find the right pistol for you.

I also understand your frustration with S&W.  Saying that some of their pistols are sloppy/loose and some aren't but it doesn't matter doesn't satisfy the their customer's concerns.  Maybe their getting ready to come out with a new model, like they do every few years, to address issues their current models are having.  The faithful don't always see it that way.  I'll be keeping my 30 year old S&W revolvers, but the M&P semi autos will be going, somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:25:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot 8500rds through my gun.

It works.

They won't replace the part that is not causing any malfunction to operation.

Sounds like a legitimate claim to me lol.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I imagine that when you sent it to S&W they took it apart and used a set of go/no-go gauges to determine the hole was in spec.  If the go pin fit and the no-go pin doesn't fit in the hole, it's good.

Maybe you could go there posing as an ISO9001:2008 auditor and audit their processes.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#8]
If the pin wobbles with the block, drive the pin out, and SLIGHTLY flatten it so it ovals out a little on one side.

When you drive it back in, drive it in small side first.

It will tighten up just fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:48:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a glock that everything is wobbly as crap, is only a two pin model, and has so much slide play from worn down guides from allot of shooting. It has never failed and is vary accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top