Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2014 12:17:18 AM EDT
Well mine finally arrived. Im glad I waited a extra week and got this instead of a P22.

Pros

First off, this is NOT made by umarex or walther. Made in the USA, and it shows. Quality piece just from playing with it. Slide is aluminum, steel breech, and a steel pin inset so the slide stop doesnt wear on the slide.

Barrel is one piece compared to the sleeved multi piece Umarex barrel.

Simple, out of the box we have TWO 10 round magazines. They will not interchange with the full size.

Takedown is ridiculously simple. Lock the slide back, rotate the takedown lever, retract slide and lift off. Recoil spring is captured.

Really nice adjustable three dot sights, makes the fullsize M&P22 look like garbage.

Manual safety clicks on and off like a 1911. Doesnt flop around like the standard M&P22. Positive clicks.

Grip is nice, feels like a shield with the extended magazine in. Perhaps a little more palm swell.

Throws casings at the same velocity as the bullet. Fires everything. 100% out of the box

Cons

Trigger is meh, but its a 22. They did get pretty close to mimicking a standard M&P trigger.

Magazine safety. But is easily bypassed for people like me who cannot stand a gun with one.

Barrel is threaded 3/8x24TPI, there is no adapter currently made to fit and make it 1/2x28TPI, There are adapters out there for that size, but none of them were designed to be recessed under a slide.

We had to make a custom adapter. Works like a champ now.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks I was thinking of buying one but need that adapter. Hopefully wont take long for someone to produce them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Hows the accuracy?   Please do some slow fire off a rest and report back.    I want one, but only accurate .22 's are interesting.    I was disappointed with my 22/45's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
pictures of internals?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
i handled one this week at my LGS. didnt feel good in the hand. prefer my M&P22
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Disappointing that it can't use M&P22 FS mags. 12 rounds in a compact would be cool. Very disappointing about the barrel threading, p22 adapters are everywhere. Will stick with my FS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hows the accuracy?   Please do some slow fire off a rest and report back.    I want one, but only accurate .22 's are interesting.    I was disappointed with my 22/45's.
View Quote

Im interested as well, mostly out to maybe 50' or so.  The wife wants to concealed carry a 9mm Shield, but I cautioned her that she will need to spend some time at the range before heading to class.  Being that this gun is very similar in size to a Shield, I figured this would be a great place to start.

Also potentially a great gun for my 10yo son to learn how to shoot a pistol with!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm hoping someone releases an adapter for this, otherwise I'll stick to its full size counter parts
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Grip is nice, feels like a shield with the extended magazine in. Perhaps a little more palm swell.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r27/beretta96/null_zps6c99d51b.jpg
View Quote

Any chance you have a Shield, or access to one, to do a side by side comparison pic? My wife is running a Ruger SR22 as a rimfire "trainer" for her Shield, but I would like to find something that feels a bit closer to the Shield in the hand. The grip is so different on the SR22 that it takes a few rounds for her to get the feel when changing back and forth.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Posted from my Ipotato
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you. Looks like I might need to start shopping...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#11]
So we have a G19 sized .45 and .22...  I'm still waiting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe that Twin Tech Tactical makes a thread adaptor that will fit on a 3/8x24 threaded barrel that does not extend past the end of the slide. Twin Tech makes threaded aftermarket barrels for the Ruger SR-22 in OEM length and extended length, and they offer adaptors for both. They apparently use 3/8x24 instead of Ruger's OEM thread for these barrels. I don't own the product and can't speak to the quality, I just recall seeing it when researching aftermarket accessories for the SR-22.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe that Twin Tech Tactical makes a thread adaptor that will fit on a 3/8x24 threaded barrel that does not extend past the end of the slide. Twin Tech makes threaded aftermarket barrels for the Ruger SR-22 in OEM length and extended length, and they offer adaptors for both. They apparently use 3/8x24 instead of Ruger's OEM thread for these barrels. I don't own the product and can't speak to the quality, I just recall seeing it when researching aftermarket accessories for the SR-22.
View Quote

Ordered.

Ill be a guinea pig
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The question is if the M&P compact barrel has the same O.D. as the SR22 barrel (which is .460 in btw) then feasibly the adapter may work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, Twin tech is making them I saw this photo on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/TwinTechTactical/photos/a.299802903449051.64330.290447521051256/670300446399293/?type=1&theater
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I can't wait to get mine in from PSA. They went on sale yesterday for $249 and I couldn't pass that up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep picked it up from PSA $17 for shipping plus tax put me right under $300.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quality-wise, how does this new Smith compare to the current top-in-it's-class SR22?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#19]
For those that have the Compact, have you tinkered with removing the mag safety or external safety yet? i took both of those off my M&P22 and will want to do the same with my compact when it arrives from PSA
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Been thinking about this one, esp since PSA dropped the price so much (as an aside, why on clearance only what, 2-3 months after introduction?  Does PSA know something we don't?  Maybe a FS is coming, or a 1/2x28 version...)  I have a 1911/22 which is a blast to shoot, but I'm not sure I get the point of this model from S&W, and I'm a S&W fan...

I get that it's very close to the Shield in size, and would be a suitable "trainer' for Shield owners.  I own a Shield, it's currently my EDC - still not sure I want this 22 compact..  Break it down - small frame, suitable for youth/ladies/wee-handed folks.  Short barrel, short sight radius, so not going to be the most accurate gun in most hands.  Doesn't accept previous M&P22 magazines (yes I know they would be longer, but still.  Great opportunity for an x-grip like product).  Has proprietary barrel threads - heck I think one of the main reasons people are buy 22LR pistols these days is to supress them.  End the end, even at the slashed price, I think it's a pass, for me at least.  If anything, I might be swayed by the Shield 'trainer' aspect, but shooting 22 imo will do nothing to prepare someone for the action/retort of +P Duty/SD ammo in a Shield.  For holstering, gun handling drills, etc I think a blue gun is a better option, really.  That and shooting the Shield :)

Not knocking anyone who buys one, as mentioned seems like a nice gun for youth/ladies - and I'm no 22 snob, I own a few 22LR items myself :).  Just not sold on the 22Compact
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Been thinking about this one, esp since PSA dropped the price so much (as an aside, why on clearance only what, 2-3 months after introduction?  Does PSA know something we don't?  Maybe a FS is coming, or a 1/2x28 version...)  I have a 1911/22 which is a blast to shoot, but I'm not sure I get the point of this model from S&W, and I'm a S&W fan...

I get that it's very close to the Shield in size, and would be a suitable "trainer' for Shield owners.  I own a Shield, it's currently my EDC - still not sure I want this 22 compact..  Break it down - small frame, suitable for youth/ladies/wee-handed folks.  Short barrel, short sight radius, so not going to be the most accurate gun in most hands.  Doesn't accept previous M&P22 magazines (yes I know they would be longer, but still.  Great opportunity for an x-grip like product).  Has proprietary barrel threads - heck I think one of the main reasons people are buy 22LR pistols these days is to supress them.  End the end, even at the slashed price, I think it's a pass, for me at least.  If anything, I might be swayed by the Shield 'trainer' aspect, but shooting 22 imo will do nothing to prepare someone for the action/retort of +P Duty/SD ammo in a Shield.  For holstering, gun handling drills, etc I think a blue gun is a better option, really.  That and shooting the Shield :)

Not knocking anyone who buys one, as mentioned seems like a nice gun for youth/ladies - and I'm no 22 snob, I own a few 22LR items myself :).  Just not sold on the 22Compact
View Quote

The whole clearance thing from PSA is a marketing gimmick. They're full of them over at PSA.

I picked one up as my first .22 pistol. I figure its a good size for the wife/kids. I'm not hopping for a 1moa pistol just a plinkster. $250 is a no brainer!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Would the 22 compact fit in my mp40c holster? Comptac ctac
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Nope - it won't fit any existing M&P holsters.  I've tried both 40/9c and Shield to be sure.

I wish Palmetto had called this a sale instead of a clearance - now everybody is worried.  If I were S&W's marketing manager I'd be pissed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad I didn't buy one now. The fact that the mags aren't interchangable is bullshit.... Who comes up with this crap?

My full size is my second favorite pistol and I'll be buying more mags now instead of another pistol.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone found extra mags for a decent price?  I've only found them on ebay at $35 each.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#27]
If anyone is interested in a thread adapter, I just got one in from EWK Arms for $22. It looks to be very well made.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If anyone is interested in a thread adapter, I just got one in from EWK Arms for $22. It looks to be very well made.
View Quote

Have you tried removing the thread protector? I heard it was on really tight. Like vise grip tight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Have you tried removing the thread protector? I heard it was on really tight. Like vise grip tight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It came off very easily. No issues there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got mine today, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully by this weekend I will.

I did look up on removing the magazine disconnect and I found this page with some good instructions on how to do so if anyone else is interested as well.

http://imgur.com/a/Wpg2D
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just got mine today, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully by this weekend I will.

I did look up on removing the magazine disconnect and I found this page with some good instructions on how to do so if anyone else is interested as well.

View Quote

Thanks for the link !
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you done this to yours yet? Did it effect your trigger pull weight?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I handled one yesterday and am glad I held off on the SR-22. This will likely be my next pistol purchase.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Have you done this to yours yet? Did it effect your trigger pull weight?
View Quote

No, haven't done it yet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I removed my mag disconnect last night, the trigger seems about the same.

I had a bitch of a time getting the trigger spring to set just right for reassembly though, I ended up using two punches to help with that. I used one punch to push it back into position and then I used another punch from the right side through the trigger pin hole to lock it in position. Finally from the left side I slowly tapped in the trigger pin and used it's pressure to push the right side punch out of my hand.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#36]
How is everyone taking off the barrel nut since S&W never bothered to include one.  I thought about vise-grips or pliers but don't want to booger up the nut since I want to re-use it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I totally misread the question above about the thread protector, I thought it was about the protector on the suppressor adapter. Derp... Anyway, I've read the best way is to grinding down a 10mm wrench, throw the action in the freezer for a few hours and bust the protector off. Otherwise, grasp it with some vice grips and destroy it. It's ridiculous that's it's on so tight. You would have to remove the barrel to torch it, to keep from damaging the frame.

Edit: I just busted mine off in about 5 seconds using an old 10mm flat wrench that my dad had. No freezing required.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep in mind that the S&W M&P22Compact is a simple SINGLE ACTION hammer design with the hammer fully enclosed.  You can put it on safe or shoot it.  That's all it does and all you can do.

The SR22P is a double action first shot/single action rest type mechanism with a DECOCKER rather than a safety as such.  You can have it loaded with a DA pull to fire, fire it Xtimes, decock it, and fire it again with the DA pull.  

If the Full Size M&P 9mm/40S&W line has a trigger like the 22Compact, I see why there is so much trigger replacing going on.  Apex, et al.

The SR22P has a decent and far better trigger pull after broken in.  Mine has settled in at about 4.5#.  The hammer is accessable and the decocker combined with the DA/SA mechanism is a lot more useful than a simple on/off safety.

Grip wise, the 22Compact feels sweet like my Shield.  But I have no trouble using the SR22P with either grip and leave the small one on for kiddies.

Still looking for an accuracy comment on the 22Compact.  The only references I have seen anywhere are 25 yards and 5".  Which is why they only test them at 10 yards??????
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Not impressed with accuracy yet using Federal. I'll try something else when I find it. No failures, though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#40]
ive put well over 500 rds thru my 22c. only issue i have run into is about 25% of the time when shooting bulk ammo from a full mag, the first round of the mag wont cycle the slide all the way back to pick up the next round. i figure its the mag spring pressure pushing up on the slide slowing it down just enough to not cycle all the way back. again with bulk ammo only. better ammo has no issues
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top