Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 5:09:14 PM EDT
Having been a born/bred Glock fan (carried them personally and professionally since 1990) I decided that I wasn't going to wait for Gaston to build an 8 rd single stackish 4", G19, sized .45ACP. I looked around and decided to give the M&P45c a try, this was 2010. Bought it, shot it and it was...meh. Sold it and didn't look back.

Then Generalissimo Cuomo gave the good people of NY the anal raping that is the SAFE ACT. I decided again that I wanted a .45 the size of a G19. The .40 doesn't do it for me, we are issued the .45 GAP and although it has been an excellent performer it just isn't...well, it isn't an American .45. It just isn't.

Enter the second foray into the M&P45c, this time with more determination and forethought. I purchased a Gunbroker deal M&P45c for $375.00 and took possession of it. Shot it again, with the aide of a friend and Firearms Instructor for Maryland NRP (issued M&P40's). We came to the same conclusion independently...meh. The trigger was HORRIBLE and the resultant accuracy was not stellar. After about 400 rounds I decided that the factory sights had to go and the trigger guard web was discomforting, the trigger was atrocious but we all knew that coming in.. BUT, the size was really right where I liked it and the grip, absent the nonexistant undercut, was great. Sooooo, I set off to fix things.

I first installed an Apex DCEAK, HUGE difference in the trigger...but still sorta...meh, spongy and indistinct. I installed Trijicon OEM night sights, better sights but not what I really wanted. The thing was hell for accurate, though, now that the trigger was smoothed out. Then I broke out the Dremel and carefully removed the offensive material at the triggerguard/grip juncture making an effective, and more importantly smooth, undercut. Starting to like this thing, feels pretty good.

Then I had a setback of sorts, you see I had a good deal on an HK45c and wanted to try it out, maybe that would be the "right" .45. Long story short, it wasn't. It was much less natural feeling, the gun felt top heavy and the muzzle flip was pronounced when firing. It was overall much bigger and not worth the extra money. The magazines were prohibitively expensive and it needed night sights and the LEM installed to make it even livable. Side by side shooting was very telling, the M&P is a good gun and after 500+ rounds of differing ammunition without malfunction I trust my life to it.

So, back to the M&P I went, with no regrets. I decided the trigger itself needed to go, it was long and the hinged design felt like it was wrapping around my finger. So this weekend I installed the AEK polymer trigger and included trigger spring. HOLY SHIT, this thing shoots like a dream now. I put 200 rounds downrange this morning and the trigger is better than my beloved G19, it is hell for accurate and I love this thing. I have a set of Trijicon HD (Yellow) sights coming this week which I will install and promptly shoot. After that I will be happy to post pics but am hesitant to do so until it is 'done'. Anyway, long read but the moral of the story is, the M&P45c is a great gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
While I don't have a 45, I do have a 40 M&P with both the poly AEK trigger and a DCAEK kit.

They make the gun.  

And for the life of me I can't figure out why S&W hasn't either really fixed the trigger or offered the APEX parts as a factory installed option.
Just sort of sucks that going in you know that the gun is going to cost you another $130 above and beyond retail to get it right.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 9FS and have had to send it back with less than 10 rounds for a poorly finished chamber.  If I were to buy another it would be the 45C or a 9 Shield/  Nice write up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been jonsing for an M&P45c for a long while now but I am kinda stuck on the idea of finding one in OD green...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an M&P 40 that I took the mag disconnect out of and put the APEX kit in.

I guess I need the AEK trigger too.

I took my M&P mag release and put the button on the right side ( am right handed) so it is in the same spot as the H&K ( duty gun) and I don't have to be concerned with screwing up my habit patterns, and I don't have to carry the H&K on my time, because I hate that thing, except for the mag release.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The combination of a DCAEK and poly trigger have made my 9FS, 40c and 45c great shooters. I'm just waiting for poly Shield triggers to be released.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a 40 full size and a 9c. Either I got lucky with both the triggers being decent or S&W made me a bit better than originally ( both are recent manufacture). The grip , fit and feel of the gun works well for me over any other gun I have shot , including my Springfield Champion loaded.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you got it where you like it! I had a similar experience when I bought my M&P 9FS.  I loved everything about except the trigger guard digs into my finger like yours,and the trigger was terrible.  I did the Apex FSS trigger and it is worlds better. Now I just need to grow the balls to grind out the trigger guard.  Any pics of yours so I can get some ideas?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glad you got it where you like it! I had a similar experience when I bought my M&P 9FS.  I loved everything about except the trigger guard digs into my finger like yours,and the trigger was terrible.  I did the Apex FSS trigger and it is worlds better. Now I just need to grow the balls to grind out the trigger guard.  Any pics of yours so I can get some ideas?
View Quote

I'm thinking a rat-tailed file would help ensure success.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm also a long time Glock fan, but I bought a M&P (FS 9mm) for giggles a couple weeks back.  I put a CAEK and aluminum AEK trigger in it, and...OH MY LAWD. I have a set of Warren fiber optic sights for it, and I'm afraid once those go it my Glocks may not get shot much.  The competition trigger is a bit too light for carry, but man does this thing shoot great.  My main carry gun is still a Glock 19, but I could see myself with a Shield or M&P9c in the future.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a 45C, and thought I would have to use the extended baseplate magazine.  I hate hanging pinkies.  But when I got it home, I realized that if I just trimmed a little under the trigger guard, I might get a full grip with the short baseplate.  So I filed it out.  It was a vast improvement, but it still wasn't perfect.  The little lip at the bottom of the front strap was hitting my pinky, so I filed it down too, and filed an angle onto the magazine baseplate.  I went down a little extra on the front strap of the frame so that my pinky would have a little slot to fall into, so it would be more secure while shooting.  Then I slapped a Talon Grip over it to cover the bald spots on the front strap where the original grip texture was sanded off.  Now it's perfect.  My only complaint now is the shape of the Apex trigger I have.  I can get a much higher grip on the pistol now, so my trigger finger is hitting the trigger at a spot where the angle is weird.  I have to consciously move my trigger finger down to the flat spot.  I'm looking for a new trigger that isn't so angled at the top, got any suggestions?  Here are some pics of the work I did, the only camera I could find was ancient, and apparently didn't have an anti-shake feature, so they are blurry...

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#11]
2012 m&p 9fs here

I started with swapping in a LF arms mag release. Then in went an apex trigger and fss kit (from g and r tatical, got it polished)
Have not shot it since I put the trigger in but it is a dream to dry fire.

About to go in:
Updated trigger bar (h)
Updated slide stop
Apex striker block

In the future:
Apex ram
Blue guide rod (current one at 4400+ rounds)
Thinking of polishing the trigger bar (loop area) for shits and giggles

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Finished it last night, installed the Trijicon HD (yellow) sights. It may be damned near perfect now. Still would like an HK but they are bigger, thicker and don't do anything this won't.

ETA - 150 more rounds today to check sights. Boringly reliable and shooting 2" high at 25m. Hit the 150m gong twice off hand in a 8 rd mag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, update time.

I fell for the HK chant of how great the 45C was so I bought one, cheap I might add, just to own this uber super gun. Shot it side by side with my M&45C (albeit a stock V1 HK vs my APEX modified M&P) for a 200 rd each comparison. After 400 rounds downrange I have the following comparative analysis:

1) Accuracy - At 25m both shoot to point of aim, the HK edges the M&P for group size, even with their atrocious trigger. At 7M both were dead on.

2) Reliability - even, the HK is from he company that over engineers everything, The M&P has a well deserved rep for reliability. I will say that the straight in feed of the M&P seems like it would be more conducive to reliable feeding than the much steeper angle of the HK.

3) Controllability - The M&P wins this hands down. The lower bore axis really was evident in follow up shots vs. the HK and it's more pronounced muzzle flip.

4) Ergonomics - not even a comparison, M&P with the medium backstrap fits like it was molded for my hand. The AEK polymer trigger was super controllable.

5) Sights - N/A I use HD's on all of my guns.

6) Price - The M&P was literally 1/2 the cost of the HK, then I added about $100 in APEX parts but even then it was $300 less.

I'm keeping the M&P and selling the HK. Yup, I said it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an M&P9 Pro Series...  I got it in trade after I got rid of a regular M&P9 that I *hated* the trigger on and didn't want to drop $$ into trying to fix it.

The M&P9 Pro has a better trigger than the regular one, but still not what I like.  Mushy and creep.  Reset is merely OK.  Will the APEX M&P Polymer Action Enhancement Trigger work in the M&P9 Pro Series?  Realistically, what specifically will I see improve in the trigger?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an early (2008) 9.  Everything stock.  Trigger is fine as is accuracy and reliability.  No rust issues either.  I own Glocks as well as most of the other stuff out there.  I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a large gun collection and have been carrying the HKP2K for quite a while.  I want a 45 and don't want to car one of my 7 1911's now.  So I bought an MP45c and have been dry firing the heck out of it.  I put Chip McCormics trigger grease in the right places and after about 500 pulls it is actually helping.  However, I plan to do what the OP did and I will do it soon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I just put the Apex sear into my fs M&P45.  $ is an issue for me.  Haven't shot it yet, but based on dry firing with snap caps the trigger is much improved.  I shoot my G19 much better than my M&P 45, but that's not an apples to apples comparison.  I wish that S&W would put a better trigger in the M&P.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just put the Apex sear into my fs M&P45.  $ is an issue for me.  Haven't shot it yet, but based on dry firing with snap caps the trigger is much improved.  I shoot my G19 much better than my M&P 45, but that's not an apples to apples comparison.  I wish that S&W would put a better trigger in the M&P.
View Quote

upgrade to the apex and you will be surprised.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an M&P9 Pro Series...  I got it in trade after I got rid of a regular M&P9 that I *hated* the trigger on and didn't want to drop $$ into trying to fix it.

The M&P9 Pro has a better trigger than the regular one, but still not what I like.  Mushy and creep.  Reset is merely OK.  Will the APEX M&P Polymer Action Enhancement Trigger work in the M&P9 Pro Series?  Realistically, what specifically will I see improve in the trigger?
View Quote

Will work in the pro series m&p's
You'll see a and shorter pretravel, shorter over travel. If you can swing it, get the apex striker block. Smoothest he trigger noticeably
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top