Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 7:48:03 PM EDT
I have an M&P 40 and a Shield 40, and am replacing the sights on each. I have punched out rear sights before, but usually damaged them in the process. I am looking for a better way.

I need a sight pusher that will work with both a Shield and a full size M&P. Bonus points if it can also adjust an E Series 1911.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used this one for about 15 years.  It's done a lot of 1911's a few glocks, Sig P series sights, even a Shiloh Sharps front sight.

It's not cheap, but it you want something that will last forever and is universal, this will work.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/p500-universal-sight-tool-prod17840.aspx

His stands behind his product also, after numerous sight installations, one of the pushers started to mushroom, a phone call, I got two brand new pushers, and some other parts tossed in at no cost.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally found the P500 to suck, unless they made revisions, the plastic pusher piece rotated against the sight as you spun the shaft and marred up the sight.  I had to use needle nose pliers to keep it from spinning while I applied torque to the shaft.  Garbage.

I frankly dont care about the marring that much, but you also need another big bulky piece to keep any slide steady that doesn't have flat sides.  It also sucks if you go a little past where you want, and have to completely unscrew the shaft and put it in the other side, then re-thread it back in.  Time consuming, and a pain in the ass, unless you can eye ball it and nail it the first time.

I now have the MGW PRO universal sight tool that uses the different shoes depending on what gun you're working on, and its in a class of its own.  Nothing to rotate against your sights, and if you go too far, simply torque it the other direction and make adjustments as needed.

Fantastic item, much better than the P500 I ditched years ago.

As long as MGW makes a shoe for your gun, you can use the sight tool.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with the MGW Pro if I didn't already have a Meprolight USIT/Hesco but that thing is almost $750 now!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#4]
MGW PRO is the best thing out there with the different shoes.  Way overbuilt and damn solid.  Won't damage the slides or sights.  Makes changing them out pretty slick.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
This pusher works very well, can be adapted to fit many guns, and is not too expensive.  It's built like a tank and is very simple.

http://www.sightpusher.com/default.html

The problem I ran into was not with the sight pusher, but with the sights themselves.  Some types, like the Ameriglo  I-dot rear sight shown below, have almost no flat surface to push on.  It requires very careful setup of the sight pusher to engage the tiny flat sight surface properly without rubbing on the slide.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have pusher. But, I like using a vice and padded, soft punches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top