Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2014 1:08:55 PM EDT
I would love to get an s&w 44 mag M69 snubbed and have the frame shortened to be able to use it with 44 spl as a carry gun. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who is competent at shortening frames?

Is smith and Wesson going to develop at 2" or 2.5" two finger grip 44 out of the m69?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Shortening a frame?............

I"ve never heard of it being done.

ETA- you do know that it can shoot 44spl already, right?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shortening a frame?............

I"ve never heard of it being done.

ETA- you do know that it can shoot 44spl already, right?
View Quote

I do know it can shoot 44 spl. Shortening the barrel would help a lot but the grip is still a little long to conceal.

With that being said I know the S&W makes a performance center 629 that has a 2" barrel and a short frame but its a 6 shot which is way to wide to carry in the waist band which is how I carry.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Since the 69 is a tensioned barrel in a barrel sleeve I don't know that shortening the barrel is all that simple. I think it would require a new shorter sleeve and possibly a new barrel as well. Probably not a cheap project.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Since the 69 is a tensioned barrel in a barrel sleeve I don't know that shortening the barrel is all that simple. I think it would require a new shorter sleeve and possibly a new barrel as well. Probably not a cheap project.
View Quote

I was wondering about the barrel. Why did they decide to put a tensioned barrel on the 69?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was wondering about the barrel. Why did they decide to put a tensioned barrel on the 69?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's easier to manufacture. The "new" model 66's are the same way. It is also claimed to be more accurate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The S&W 696 is what you seek but they're not cheap (probably cheaper than having custom work done on another gun though).  Example

Taurus and Charter both make five shot .44 specials- not that I'm a fan of either company.  Rossi used to make them also.

I'm assuming you want to shorten the grip, not the frame, right?  Smith can turn them into round butts; Bowen and a few others can do full on custom work if you have the cash.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The S&W 696 is what you seek but they're not cheap (probably cheaper than having custom work done on another gun though).  Example

Taurus and Charter both make five shot .44 specials- not that I'm a fan of either company.  Rossi used to make them also.

I'm assuming you want to shorten the grip, not the frame, right?  Smith can turn them into round butts; Bowen and a few others can do full on custom work if you have the cash.
View Quote

I dont like the carter guns for sure and I'm a smith and wesson collector. Aside from that I really need to get the grip down to a size small enough that it becoms a two finger grip.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds very painful...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sounds very painful...
View Quote

shouldnt be with 44 spl loads
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top