Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2014 6:11:27 AM EDT
Fellow M&P 9c owners,

Looking into getting the Big Dot sights for my M&P 9c.  Was wondering if anyone had them on their 9c.  I'd like to get your take.  Buddy of mine got the sights installed on one of his handguns (can't remember what brand) and he loves them.

Was also wondering if you do have them, do you need a special holster for it?  I know their "Big" Dot, but don't think they're so big that you need a special holster.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Not what you were asking, but I've got the standard (not big) dot XS sights on my 4.5" MP45.  For me it's a better compromise of speed and precision, and I use them in IDPA/Multigun.

The standard XS dot will drag a bit in some holsters, it's higher than the normal front blade, I think the Big Dot is a touch higher, so depending on the holster style, you may need some extra clearance.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had two of them on my son's PPQ
On the first one the insert flew out and on the replacement one the whole front sight flew off never to be seen again.
The sights were installed by XS
Not a fan. YMMV
View Quote

It's a dovetail mount on the M&P, and M&P dovetails are pretty snug.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The Big dots are very fast for up close shooting but are slower when you try to use them over distances or need to be more accurate. For me, the biggest drawback of the XS big dots is that the rear sight is a V instead of a notch.  I like the big dots but I have found two other sites I like better.  

I dot pros with a green outline on the front site.   Looking down the sites, it looks similar to the big dots but with the advantage of the notch back sight which is better for distances.  I have tried the red outline on the I dot pros too and the green outline is definitely faster and more visible in the daytime.

Tru glo night sight with the solid black rear.  The tru glo lights up like a spotlight in the bright sun.  This sight also has the notch in the rear and it seems to me they were very inexpensive (Like $40?).   IMO, the one thing that makes the I dot pros a better setup than this is that the I dot pros also have a tritium rear sight.  

I used the big dots for a little more than a year in IDPA and I shoot faster and more accurately with I dot pro or the tru glo setup.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#5]
TargetBlaster,
Thanks for the info on the alternatives.  Since this is my CC weapon, one of my top priorities is target acquisition.  Do you find the I-DOTs just as useful for this?  I've read/heard about the negative aspects of the Big Dots (quick acquisition, but decreased accuracy at longer ranges), but I am willing to compromise some accuracy at longer ranges for quick target (since most cases of self-defense are close quarters anyway)

As for the IDPA, never heard of it before, but looked it up.  Definitely something I might look into.  Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a big fan of Big Dots for CCW, especially now that I wear bifocals. I've been using them for about ten years now on several guns.

I have a new 45c coming in, I'm trying to decide whether to Big Dot it or not. I probably will.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
heavyduty,
Any issues with holstering/drawing the gun?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope. I use PJ Holsters IWBs and Safariland OWBs with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
TargetBlaster,
Thanks for the info on the alternatives.  Since this is my CC weapon, one of my top priorities is target acquisition.  Do you find the I-DOTs just as useful for this?  I've read/heard about the negative aspects of the Big Dots (quick acquisition, but decreased accuracy at longer ranges), but I am willing to compromise some accuracy at longer ranges for quick target (since most cases of self-defense are close quarters anyway)

As for the IDPA, never heard of it before, but looked it up.  Definitely something I might look into.  Thanks for the heads up!
View Quote

I had the Big Dots on my M&P and G26 and once I tried I-Dot Pro's on my G19 I outfitted them on every pistol I have. Good compromise of speed and accuracy plus they cost about half as much as Trij HD's.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
TargetBlaster,

View Quote

The big dot really only comes into play when you don't need the night sights.
If you are in a dark situation where you are relying on the tritium night sights, then all the tritium dots for all the sights are about the same size and brightness.

The I-dots with the green outline is similar to the XS standard dots.   For me, One other thing that affects the accuracy of the big dots is the size of the dot itself.  You have to center the tritium insert over the back sight to shoot straight.   Since the dot is so big I find that I shoot a little off to the left or the right due to seeing the dot over the back post but not having it exactly centered. I have found that I don't lose any time shooting targets with the I dot pros over the big dots and when sights are needed, I shoot more accurately with the I dot pros over the big dots.

The reason I like IDPA is that they have some realistic/semi-realistic scenarios that you may encounter with CCW.  Part of those scenarios are shooting at targets behind barriers where sights are needed to place an accurate hit.   As a buddy of mine pointed out at one of the IDPA matches, when I am close, I can point shoot.  When I need to use sights, I need a little more accuracy.  IMO, That argument steals the thunder from the big dot sights.

The big dots are not bad sights.  For me, I have found  the I-dot pro sights with the green outline gives me more accuracy with no loss in speed over the big Dots and for CCW I am looking for any slight edge that I can get.  
Another reason  I like IDPA is because it allows me to test sights, holsters, drawing, reloads etc..
I have actually improved my techniques and found that a couple of my holsters were not ideal for CCW by trying them in IDPA. If you are serious about CCW, I highly recommend shooting IDPA and it is also cheap to shoot.   To shoot a typical match up here, it costs about $15.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I might need to give those I-dot Pros a try on my new 45c.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the Big Dot on my Glock 23. Couldn't have been easier to shoot with within 25 yards. Just dot the i on whatever you want holes in and pull the bang switch a few times. Very quick sight acquisition. Not the best if you want tight and pretty groups though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Not much of a review as it is speaking to their cs side of things, but I broke off my front site installing it on my full size and the guys at xs replaced it cost free. I should mention, as I did to them, the breakage was due to user error (me not filing the site for proper fit in the dovetail). Usage wise,I ran the standard dot and had no issue with them close proximity wise, but it may take some getting used to..that style of sure that is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a set on my 9c and love them except for one thing. I wish the rear site had a night site in it. Otherwise they are great. I find target acquisition to be extremely fast and very accurate at SD range.   For a longer range gun though I would probably recommend something else. Installation was really easy too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top