Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 1:04:34 PM EDT
I recently bought a brand new S&W 500 and is somehow cycling through and hitting 2 primers and firing both rounds through the barrel with one pull of the trigger. Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of that before or could tell me how that is happening? Does not do it every time but has done this with multiple types of ammo. I think it's some sort of manufacturing defect.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently bought a brand new S&W 500 and is somehow cycling through and hitting 2 primers and firing both rounds through the barrel with one pull of the trigger. Was wondering if anyone had ever heard of that before or could tell me how that is happening? Does not do it every time but has done this with multiple types of ammo. I think it's some sort of manufacturing defect.
View Quote

This happens with the .500. The recoil of the first round causes the recoil and as the revolver comes down in recoil you are pulling the trigger again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2joba9pbZw
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh. Thank you. I will play with the way shoot it and see if I can fix it. I'm probably just gripping it to tight and trying to hold the trigger down while it's firing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:36:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Be careful with that thing and be careful letting people shoot it.  Don't be that guy that tries to show off and gives it to an inexperienced small framed person...

I remember hearing about a double tap... girl was shooting at an indoor range... the gun twisted in her hand after the first shot and the second shot popped her in the head.  Let me see if I can find a link...

S&W 500 News Story
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Almost double tapped my .460 a couple of times.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be careful with that thing and be careful letting people shoot it.  Don't be that guy that tries to show off and gives it to an inexperienced small framed person...

I remember hearing about a double tap... girl was shooting at an indoor range... the gun twisted in her hand after the first shot and the second shot popped her in the head.  Let me see if I can find a link...

S&W 500 News Story
View Quote

Wow. Yeah that's the first thing I told my gf when I bought it. That she's not allowed to shoot it. And I've started loading one round at a time when someone shoots it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have personally seen this at least half a dozen times. A friend has a 500 and always wanted others to shoot it. Each time it was someone that was nervous and had a death grip on it when they shot.  Some were experienced handgun shooters that were just freaked out with anticipation of the recoil and doubled it because they were so stiff. Not a good gun for beginners.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow. Yeah that's the first thing I told my gf when I bought it. That she's not allowed to shoot it. And I've started loading one round at a time when someone shoots it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

S&W 500 News Story

My wife has a 8" and shoots it just fine. But she knows what she's doing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
This is why anybody that wants to shoot mine only gets to shoot one round at a time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#9]
How do you adjust your grip to keep from double tapping it ?  I've seen this also at the range last year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do you adjust your grip to keep from double tapping it ?  I've seen this also at the range last year.
View Quote

Don't fight the recoil so much. Let the revolver do what it's going to do when it fires which is rise when it recoils, Just let it rise and fall and don't try to pull it down out of it's recoil arc. The other part of it is not to pull on the trigger like a gorilla and hold it back, stroke the trigger and let your finger relax instead of death gripping it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top