Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2014 9:00:01 PM EDT
Any one have exp with it?  How does it compare to the full size?   I know that it's a half inch shorter barrel.  Looking at replacing my 1911 and m&p 9 for mid or full size 45.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any one have exp with it?  How does it compare to the full size?   I know that it's a half inch shorter barrel.  Looking at replacing my 1911 and m&p 9 for mid or full size 45.
View Quote

Magazine capacity. I realize you are coming from a 1911 so the capacity doesn't bother you that much but don't pigeonhole your self. One of the biggest advantages of switching from 1911 to polymer is the increase in capacity. I wanted to upgrade from my XD45 4" and gave the M&P45 a good hard look. The only thing I had issue with was going from 13+1 to 10+1. I ended up going full size / full retard and bought an FNX45 with 15+1.
As for the M&P itself I have yet to fire one but I went to the armorers school for it and was very impressed with the design. It was in that school that I decided to switch out my XD, having seen what other manufacturers are doing. I doubt this is the information you were looking for when you started this thread but it's all I have to offer.

My input: I'd definitely upgrade but, if you intend to go .45, due to magazine capacity I wouldn't (didn't) go M&P.

Eta: the M&P45compact only holds 8+1 btw. Forgot to mention that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Magazine capacity. I realize you are coming from a 1911 so the capacity doesn't bother you that much but don't pigeonhole your self. One of the biggest advantages of switching from 1911 to polymer is the increase in capacity. I wanted to upgrade from my XD45 4" and gave the M&P45 a good hard look. The only thing I had issue with was going from 13+1 to 10+1. I ended up going full size / full retard and bought an FNX45 with 15+1.
As for the M&P itself I have yet to fire one but I went to the armorers school for it and was very impressed with the design. It was in that school that I decided to switch out my XD, having seen what other manufacturers are doing. I doubt this is the information you were looking for when you started this thread but it's all I have to offer.

My input: I'd definitely upgrade but, if you intend to go .45, due to magazine capacity I wouldn't (didn't) go M&P.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem with 45, 9, 40, 5.56, 22 is that I live in MA and 10 is the max we can have anyway lol.  I have some wilson 10 rounders for the 1911 which is sweet!  
Also, I wasn't referring to the compact.   The mid size is just a full size with smaller barrel.  I was just wondering if the recoil was different and if it handled differently than the full size.

Thanks for the input though!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
i love mine! very soft shooting.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#4]
That half inch shorter barrel is the only difference. I haven't noticed any difference in recoil or sight tracking with the shorter barrel/slide. I favor 5" guns, so I prefer the full size's 4.5" barrel. However, Hilton Yam over at 10-8 Performance put a lot of rounds through both and actually preferred the mid-size over the full size.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#5]
how does the width of the 45 midsize compare to the full size 9?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want to say they're the same since I have a 9c and a 45c and they both fit perfectly in the same kydex holster.  This is, of course, only indicative of slide width and not grip.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a great picture, but I love my M&P 45 mid sized. I wanted a polymer framed .45 that I could actually hold.  I'll never own an XD, and the Glock 21 is just too big in every way.  I like the FNX-45, but I wanted something a little smaller that I could carry reasonably and the M&P 45 was it.  In retrospect I think I would have preferred the full size.  No particular reason, the mid size shoots very comfortably. but the full size has a longer recoil spring and seems to go in to battery more easily from a press check. Almost like there's more spring tension.  Trivial, I know.  Anyway. Picture says a thousand words
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one, mid size M&P .45 ACP and it is solid.  Coming up on 1300 rounds put through it, never one issue and no complaints other than I wish I had more time to shoot.   I have no experience with the full size.  The only issue are finding holsters, most are sized for the M&P 9 and .40 but some are out there to be had.  It is a solid pistol IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet, thanks for the replies!   I made the plunge on the mid size.  Pumped to put some down range with it!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have one, mid size M&P .45 ACP and it is solid.  Coming up on 1300 rounds put through it, never one issue and no complaints other than I wish I had more time to shoot.   I have no experience with the full size.  The only issue are finding holsters, most are sized for the M&P 9 and .40 but some are out there to be had.  It is a solid pistol IMHO.
View Quote

Really? All three holsters I own for my mid-sized .45 are holsters marked for the full sized 9/40, and they fit great.  What holsters are you looking at?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

The rear and middle of the 45 and 9 slides are the same width, but the 45 has front cocking serrations that are about .05" wider than the rest of the slide.

Holster compatibility between the 45 mid size and 9 full size will depend on how tightly fit and how much stretch a particular holster has. For instance, the Safariland ALS for the 9 won't fit the 45 since it's normally a tight fit with no stretch. However, the Raven Phantom for the 9, while being a tight fit, can stretch around the extra width of the 45 at the expense of being a bit more difficult to draw compared to the 9.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The mid size is the way to go it has a nice feel to it . They seem good to go out of the box no 500 round break in like a lot of 1911 . Mine is a real tack driver and even the compact shoots good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I was just looking at a mid size and a compact tonight. The compact impressed me - it has a real CCO vibe.

I think I need one.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was just looking at a mid size and a compact tonight. The compact impressed me - it has a real CCO vibe.

I think I need one.  
View Quote

Do it.  Mine is actually getting carried more than my 9c even though it's bigger.  It just makes me sad that they don't make the same pistol in 9mm.  An M&P19 if you will.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my full size. It may only hold 10+1 but the staggered magazine (vrs. a true double stack) means the grip is not a 2x4 in your hand. I dont see the point in a 3lb sidearm so large it's a pain to carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do it.  Mine is actually getting carried more than my 9c even though it's bigger.  It just makes me sad that they don't make the same pistol in 9mm.  An M&P19 if you will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I need one.  

I agree - I've messed around mounting my FS top end on my 40c frame. I really like how it works out.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree - I've messed around mounting my FS top end on my 40c frame. I really like how it works out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I need one.  

I finally did it - a new 45c showed up today. Range day tomorrow I hope, and then install the DCAEK and poly trigger. I-Dot Pros are on order.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the compact is the best of the three; it's large enough to fill the hand and shoot well, your not giving up any velocity to the midsize, and it's much easier to cc than the full size. That said, I'd love to get my hands on a mid size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top