Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2014 5:59:57 PM EDT
Today was great weather, so I took the Model 69 to the range.  Had some lower power reloads (cast 240's over 8.0 grains Unique)., and a box of Win 240 JSP's from Academy.  I've been shooting 44 Magnums since the early 80's, although it's been awhile since I've shot my Redhawk with 7.5 inch barrel.

The recoil of the Model 69 was not merely "snappy" as reported in the May 2014 Shooting Times review with the factory load.  It was damn near brutal!  And the reviewer claimed the recoil was "definitely manageable".  Sure, if firing a single shot is the intention.  Follow up shots will not be rapid.

After adjusting the rear sight elevation screw until the sight was down as far as it would go, the point of impact was still about 4 inches high at 25 yards.  Once I try some 180's through it I might end up having a taller front sight blade installed.  If I wasn't a reloader I'm not sure how much utility and fun this gun would provide. I'm trying to not be negative, but the Model 69 was much more challenging than I expected.

Some numbers for comparison:

The S&W 24-3 in 44 Special weighs 1076 grams, and shooting 180's at 1000 fps is controllable.
The Model 69 weighs 1056 grams, and would be sweet with 44 Special loads.

The Ruger Redhawk weighs 1546 grams, almost 1 1/2 times what the 69 weighs.  Physics can be a harsh teacher!

I'll get back out with the Model 69 next week, or whenever the dime sized open blister on my palm heals...

Looking forward to some reports of other Model 69 users.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Any more range trips?  I'm still tempted to get one of these, mostly for use with .44 Specials.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting out again this week.

FWIW I weighed my 4 inch Ruger .357 Police Service Six, and it weighs an ounce or two more than the Model 69!  Struck out finding any factory loaded 180 grain loads, but found some Hornady 180's at Brownells to reload with. A happy occurrence was I found around 100 empty "S&W" branded cases in my man cave dungeon! .

Paladin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top