Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2014 11:18:31 AM EDT
Is anyone using XS big dots on there Shield? If you do let me know how you like them please?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I just put a set on my shield. The front sight is really nice but the back sight is not a night sight. It just has a white stripe. Kind of pointless to me for only the front to glow as you can't aim at night.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#2]
On a CQB defensive pistol, just get that front dot on your target and punch the trigger.  No need to worry about the rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I installed a set for a customer today. I like the look and the theory behind them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I did a fair amount of searching thoughts on them. I ordered a set today.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had them on my Shield for several months and close to a thousand rounds. I think they are ideal for a CCW gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Did they take you a bit to get use to?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Not really. Just dot the i and shoot!
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Where in the state are you? I'm in Kane, if you're close you are welcome to try them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate the offer. I am in McHenry county.  I ordered a set that should be here tomorrow. Now I have to see if I can get the gun smith to install them Friday hopefully.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I have them on my XDs and they're fantastic.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Im pretty stoked they have been deleivered to the house and will have them installed tomorrow and hope to test drive them on Sunday... i have a feeling I will be picking up another set for my XDS
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#13]
where are you finding these? They are out and/or backordered everywhere I look
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I found them on Amazon at Castle Outfitters. They were very good and was at my door in 3 days.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:07:29 AM EDT
[#15]
ya th eonly thing I cna find on amazon are big dots for the standard and compact 9. I know they will work but I want the shield model

ETA: Found a set at Brownells. Little more than other places but they are in stock at least
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did they take you a bit to get use to?
View Quote

I have a set on a G17 "training gun" (just an old Gen 2 G17C that I use for practice/classes). The did take a while to get used to. Great up close and on the move but not so great at 25 yards and out. I can do dot drills at 7 yards all day with them, but the further out you move, the worse it gets. At distance the dot can cover up too much of the target and that rear sight doesn't exactly give much "alignment". I know that you can hit targets at 100 yards with them (seen a video of James Yeager doing it), but precise shots and HRT shots are troublesome past 10 yards. If XS made a notched rear sight instead of a wedge, they would be REAL nice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
They are awesome. You just have to realize they are combat sites for closer ranges. I train with mine out to 25 yards and they work. Dot the I and you are good to go. You only need the night sight on the front. The concept is that you place your front site on the target and shoot. In a defensive situation you will not have time to effectively aim with your rear site.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I think they are awesome.  They didn't take too long to get used to for me. I have shot about 500 rounds with them. They are for a carry gun and if I needed to shoot something at a 100 yards it would be with a rifle and not a Shield.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Not on a shield but I have them on a compact and I really like them. That big golf ball of a dot is easy to acquire while lining up the pistol. And they are easy to install as well. Anyone with a bench vise and a little know how should be able to install them in short time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#20]
No offense guys but big dots.

Had them on a 26 and 17 for a number of years and fired thousands of rounds and dry fire reps though them. Replaced them with standard notch and post. I don't see them as offering any advantage, actually the opposite.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Had them on a 26 and 17 for a number of years and fired thousands of rounds and dry fire reps though them. Replaced them with standard notch and post. I don't see them as offering any advantage, actually the opposite.

View Quote

After repetitive use over the course of numerous years and two guns, you finally come to realize they're garbage? How does that work...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm still on the fence as to which replacement sights I want to add to my new Shield, but these are definitely on the short list of contenders. For a dedicated personal defense gun like the Shield they seem more than adequate. My only hesitation is all of the reports that say they can be counter productive out at around 25 yards or further. I don't plan to shoot my Shield beyond that but for some reason, the LE agency I work for requires us to run our standard qualification course with any backup/off duty guns we intend to carry and that course includes quite a bit of firing from 25 yards. I don't want to be struggling to land my shots when I am out at the 25 yard line.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I have them on mine.  I screwed up the rear sight and will be replacing it eventually.  The locktite is holding it for now, but I filed off way too much metal.  The online tutorials say to file it until you can push it halfway with your fingers.  Well, by the time I got to that point, it was too much.

Luckily, I started with the rear sight as that's much less expensive to replace than the front.

I like them very much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
After repetitive use over the course of numerous years and two guns, you finally come to realize they're garbage? How does that work...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought into the big dot cool aid. Even put them on my AK. I really really wanted to like them.

Got another glock and found I was faster and more accurate with the factory notch and post.

Don't think there is a competent Mil or LE unit that uses them and I've never heard of a successful competition shooter using them.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm still on the fence as to which replacement sights I want to add to my new Shield, but these are definitely on the short list of contenders. For a dedicated personal defense gun like the Shield they seem more than adequate. My only hesitation is all of the reports that say they can be counter productive out at around 25 yards or further. I don't plan to shoot my Shield beyond that but for some reason, the LE agency I work for requires us to run our standard qualification course with any backup/off duty guns we intend to carry and that course includes quite a bit of firing from 25 yards. I don't want to be struggling to land my shots when I am out at the 25 yard line.
View Quote

If I didn't get the Big Dots, I'd have gotten the Ameriglo Pro I-dot with orange front and green rear.

However, it's hard to find them in stock.  I spent over 2 hours with google search one day going to every website and finding out they didn't have stock.  Some just emulate the stock of other major distributors.  I even ordered from a few of them only to learn that the stock they showed was incorrect.

I said to my self "screw this crap, I'm going with my second choice...the XS Big Dot"
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bought into the big dot cool aid. Even put them on my AK. I really really wanted to like them.

Got another glock and found I was faster and more accurate with the factory notch and post.  

Don't think there is a competent Mil or LE unit that uses them and I've never heard of a successful competition shooter using them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always heard them advertised as being easy to pick up for quick sight acquisition. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not worried about what seal team 6 is using or what flavor of the month it is for the competition world. I care what works for me.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've always heard them advertised as being easy to pick up for quick sight acquisition. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not worried about what seal team 6 is using or what flavor of the month it is for the competition world. I care what works for me.

View Quote
My issue with them is they didn't give me enough feedback that a traditional style sight does (space between front and rear sights in my sight picture). They also didn't make me any faster.

The fact that MIL / LE and competition people aren't using them might be a good indicator of their utility or lack there of.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I can understand that and agree.

Sorry if my posts came off as douchey.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I can understand that and agree.

Sorry if my posts came off as douchey.
View Quote
You're cool, didn't interpret them as douchey but just didn't compute in my head.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Will any M&P sights fit on the shield?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks.
View Quote

Yes they will, but some might go to the very edge of the slide.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top