Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2013 11:47:14 AM EDT
so I have read that S&W has started to put the new shield trigger in the other M&P 9/40 pistols,

if this in in fact true how can you tell the difference between the new and old style other than pulling the trigger?

im looking for something along the lines of serial numbers or the difference in the internal parts.

thanks in advance for the help yall
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It is not that big of a difference of a change. It has been happening since the summer of '12.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that its a big enough change that the APEX RAM will no longer fit into the gun, am I incorrect?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought a brand new fullsize .45 a couple months ago, trigger felt better than some older M&Ps I've shot, but then I threw in an APEX kit anyway and now it's much more consistent.

There's still only 3 kits from APEX, for the 9/40, 45 and Shield.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that its a big enough change that the APEX RAM will no longer fit into the gun, am I incorrect?

Correct, the size of the sear housing has changed... I have to return my RAM now because of that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll try to host a pic of my new M&P9 and older M&P40 when I get home.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
What S&W is doing is making the Sear Housing Block standard between all 9/40s. They are using the Thumb Safety SHB for the most part. That is why the Apex RAM does not work in most new models. Apex said they have a RAM for the TS models but deadline is up in the air.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to be buying an M&P40 within the next few weeks (if I can one at a reasonable price). How can I tell if one I'm looking at has the newer trigger in it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm going to be buying an M&P40 within the next few weeks (if I can one at a reasonable price). How can I tell if one I'm looking at has the newer trigger in it?

If you pull it and it doesn't feel like you're crunching an okra pod with your trigger finger, it's probably a new one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Is the reset better with these new triggers? That really was my only complaint with the M&P trigger.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you pull it and it doesn't feel like you're crunching an okra pod with your trigger finger, it's probably a new one.

LOL
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have been happy with an okra pod. Mine reminded me of my locker handle from high school.

Its crazy what a difference APEX makes for these guns.

Link Posted: 2/7/2013 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is the reset better with these new triggers? That really was my only complaint with the M&P trigger.

It is a little more tactile.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a little more tactile.

From the ones I've played with, it's still not quite as good as one with the RAM installed.
To me, Glocks have an even more noticeable reset than a M&P with the RAM, then you get an AR with a big CLACK on reset  
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#14]
so other than pulling the trigger how can you tell if it has the old or new sear housing?
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
so other than pulling the trigger how can you tell if it has the old or new sear housing?

It depends. If the frame has the cutouts for the thumb safety it is a good chance it is a newer one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are a few iPhone pics.  The new frame is on the right.  Don't mind the gold stuff, it's Loctite C5-A anti-seize.

Link Posted: 2/7/2013 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
so I have read that S&W has started to put the new shield trigger in the other M&P 9/40 pistols,

if this in in fact true how can you tell the difference between the new and old style other than pulling the trigger?

im looking for something along the lines of serial numbers or the difference in the internal parts.

thanks in advance for the help yall

I bought the new M&P Shield specifically because of this trigger.  It has a audible and tactile reset.  That is after mashing the trigger, when you lift your finger to reset the trigger, you feel and hear it click.  This lets you know you can immediately pull again.

Video of trigger pull on Shield
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#18]

I have what I believe is the new trigger in an M&P45.  Fired casings are from Oct/12.  It has the sear housing that's on the right.  It also feels like you're dragging the trigger bar through a pile of dirt when you pull the trigger.

Reset is ok and I'm not worried about it even if it wasn't.  I will be installing an Apex DCAEK into this guy, though.

Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have what I believe is the new trigger in an M&P45.  Fired casings are from Oct/12.  It has the sear housing that's on the right.  It also feels like you're dragging the trigger bar through a pile of dirt when you pull the trigger.

Reset is ok and I'm not worried about it even if it wasn't.  I will be installing an Apex DCAEK into this guy, though.

Sounds like you got the same one as me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 4:06:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Thanks, those photos are very helpful.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I just got an M&P9 VTAC w/ fired casings from 10/12. The stock trigger was a little more smooth than older models I have fired and def. had a better reset. I just installed the APEX hard sear and it lightened the trigger up by around 1.5-2lbs. After the install the trigger press felt a tad bit more gritty but I think thats because of something I did while I was working on it. I wanted to get the USB kit to solve that issue but I dont have the correct tools to install it in the VTAC slide without messing the finish up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just got an M&P9 VTAC w/ fired casings from 10/12. The stock trigger was a little more smooth than older models I have fired and def. had a better reset. I just installed the APEX hard sear and it lightened the trigger up by around 1.5-2lbs. After the install the trigger press felt a tad bit more gritty but I think thats because of something I did while I was working on it. I wanted to get the USB kit to solve that issue but I dont have the correct tools to install it in the VTAC slide without messing the finish up.

What special tools do you need?  The rear sight isn't tight on the M&P's and can be knocked out with a wood dowel once you loosen the set screw.
Just don't let the spring/spring plug shoot across the room.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

congrats on the new gun, would you mind taking some pics of the internals for us?
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just use lotsss of tape and you should be good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I dont have a vise here. I wouldnt feel as though it was stable enough to hammer a punch into it. Here are the best pics I could get of my Sear Housing Block after the APEX hard sear install. And a pic to show her off

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/06GT_4_10/DSC_1662_zpscf5f410d.jpg
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/06GT_4_10/DSC_1663_zps60217aa1.jpg
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af111/06GT_4_10/DSC_1668_zpse5f61d5b.jpg
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here are the best pics I could get of my Sear Housing Block after the APEX hard sear install. And a pic to show her off

thank you for the pictures, that is a very nice gun

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#27]
So far based on the pictures yall have posted here are some of the most obvious differences I have noticed

the ejector

the frame rail on the same side as the ejector

and a square that believe may be some kind of removable block used for a safety. the square is located on the top edge of the frame about half way along the cocking serations

does anyone see anything else obvious or know the technical name of the block im describing?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here are a few iPhone pics.  The new frame is on the right.  Don't mind the gold stuff, it's Loctite C5-A anti-seize.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/mr_speedvision/B8E5C8C1-1AE1-48B8-B86A-64D1DE520D8B-5253-0000018965293BF4.jpg

I have to ask, lubing with anti-seize, what's up with that?
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm still recovering from being a Glock owner...

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/mr_speedvision/B8E5C8C1-1AE1-48B8-B86A-64D1DE520D8B-5253-0000018965293BF4.jpg

I have to ask, lubing with anti-seize, what's up with that?

LOL I was wondering the same.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you got the same one as me.

I finally got to take the M&P45 to the range today to put a few down the barrel.

It's dead-nuts on as far as the accuracy, but I feel I didn't describe the trigger correctly.  It's more like trying to paddle a canoe through a lake of quicksand only to hit a stump just before you get moving.  This thing is going to get Apexed ASAP.

It didn't help I was shooting my CZ75 with a crisp 3lb SA trigger right before switching to the M&P..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top