Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2013 2:13:10 PM EDT
So my father acquired, from my grandfathers passing, a 1950's S&W.  I'm pretty sure it's a Combat Magnum, though my dad keeps calling it a Highway Patrolman.  It's highly polished, and doesn't say "Highway Patrolman" on it.  That leads me to believe it's a Combat magnum or a 19.   It's a .357 mag, has no model number stamped, the barrel is pinned and recessed, and is in good condition.  Only a little wear at the muzzle and some light fine scratches elsewhere.

Anyways, I've been told that some of grandads guns will need to be sold.  I said Hell no you're not selling that S&W, I want it.  I know it seems kinda to have to pay for this gun... but I don't want it to go...   So arfcommers, what's a fair price to pay for this revolver?

ETA: it is most definitely not a highway patrolman, the SN is K2602xx.  Another edit:  Wow, this must be a very early model, according to wikipedia the first SN for the combat magnum was 260000...  

since I have a feeling this may be requested, heres some pics...

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending market, motivation of the buyer, seller, etc. . . . about $450-$600 . . . hell of a nice gun, btw.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, guys.  Judging by what I've read, I have an early production 1955 Combat Magnum... that I'm quite fond of... Lol.

Well since I'm family I'm gonna try and go under market value... so maybe 250-350ish.  Lol, we'll see.  If there's any developments regarding my acquisition of this piece I'll let you all know.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks nice!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, guys.  Judging by what I've read, I have an early production 1955 Combat Magnum... that I'm quite fond of... Lol.

Well since I'm family I'm gonna try and go under market value... so maybe 250-350ish.  Lol, we'll see.  If there's any developments regarding my acquisition of this piece I'll let you all know.

FWIW, if somebody brought that into my pawnshop I'd gladly pay $250-$350 as a wholesale price. If your family is good selling it to you for the same price a dealer would offer, then you're in the ballpark. If they expect you to pay retail, you're probably optimistic.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, if somebody brought that into my pawnshop I'd gladly pay $250-$350 as a wholesale price. If your family is good selling it to you for the same price a dealer would offer, then you're in the ballpark. If they expect you to pay retail, you're probably optimistic.

Well, lets just say the other party involved is looking for their "piece of the pie" from my grandfathers possessions... And that other party knows zip about guns.  Seeing as what that person has already received from the estate, I do not feel like I would be fleecing anyone...  If it were up to my dad, I'm pretty sure he'd just let me have it... hmm, speaking of maybe I just need to pay for half of the value...

Ugh, family politics  
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold a low mileage 6" with 3Ts to a friend for $350 about 3 years ago...he's still doing cart wheels.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I sold a low mileage 6" with 3Ts to a friend for $350 about 3 years ago...he's still doing cart wheels.

3Ts?  I'm not familiar with that term...

NM, googled it.  Lol.  What do these 3T models look like, I can't find a pic...
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

3Ts?  I'm not familiar with that term...

NM, googled it.  Lol.  What do these 3T models look like, I can't find a pic...

Target Hammer
Target Trigger
Target Patridge front sight.

Look for an image of a S&W Md. 27 with a 6" or 8 3/8" barrel
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#10]
No way I would ever let that get away. If you don't buy it, PM me and I will.

Beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#11]
ANY near new condition S&W K frame from before year 2000 sells for $450-$700 depending on the model.  A simple M10 .38 about NIB would be at least $450 and every other model goes up.  Any K frame .357 NIB is going to be $550-650.

Having to buy your inherited revolver?  Nice family.

Keep in mind the reason they stopped making these things and went to the L frame.  3-5000 rounds of +P or 500 rounds of real .357 Mag and the cylinder frame window is loose as a goose with front to rear stretching often so bad the firing pin cannot reach the primers.

The M66s hold up a lot better, but same problems.

With normal .38, they last for ever.

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Depending market, motivation of the buyer, seller, etc. . . . about $450-$600 . . . hell of a nice gun, btw.

+1

I love the Model 19
It's a classic.
( just avoid magnum 110-125gr)

here's my 19-4

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice guys.  This deal is still in the works, but don't worry... I'm not letting it get away.  I like it too much.

I have heard about the issue with mag loads, and will certainly keep that in mind.  I have heard (as someone previously mentioned) that it's the light weight projectile loads that are rough on it.  If on occasion I do use mags, I'll go for the heavier stuff, though I can't imagine I'll shoot much of it.  The only time I think I would use mags is if I take it deer hunting with me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#14]
S&W told me 140gr and up are fine with magnums

110-125 beat up the forcing cone

This is why S&W came up with the 586/686 L-frame magnums
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top