Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Any noticeable improvement just swapping the stock trigger for a polymer action enhancement trigger?  I really don't like the factory hinged trigger.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:34:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bad2006z71] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m6z:
Any noticeable improvement just swapping the stock trigger for a polymer action enhancement trigger?  I really don't like the factory hinged trigger.
View Quote

My friend has a new M&P 9, with the updated trigger bar and slide release. He switched out the hinged trigger with the AEK trigger and while the trigger is still somewhat gritty and a little heavy, the reduction in pre travel was noticeable and made the pistol more enjoyable to shoot.

Its worth the $40.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Any word on a polymer trigger for the Shield?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By imortal:
View Quote

Still waiting... Email them and ask about it, I think they need to be reminded about the demand for it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By heavyduty:

Still waiting... Email them and ask about it, I think they need to be reminded about the demand for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I did email them. Their response was that they do not have a release planned.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Yep.  Still off in the future.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were holding development until after the new no-safety Shield was released just in case S&W made changes to the trigger - molds are expensive.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Yep.  Still off in the future.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were holding development until after the new no-safety Shield was released just in case S&W made changes to the trigger - molds are expensive.
View All Quotes

I hope so. No safety shield IS released. I have one on the way from Davidsons now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I got one of those FS 9mm M&Ps with nightsights and 3 mags for $409 from the deal a couple months ago and found it to be one of my favorite handguns while costing half what some of the others did, except the trigger.  I don't know if I  just got a bad one, but it was seriously the worst trigger I've ever felt on a handgun.  The break was very unpredictable and it wouldn't happen until the trigger was buried all the way to the grip. I had my gunsmith install the Apex FSS polymer trigger and it is a whole different world.  I can put rounds on target faster than any of my other guns and I've fallen in love with this M&P.  Just an excellent all around gun now.  I only wish they would come with a decent trigger from the factory because I don't want to spend $150+ on each one for a usable trigger.

I would still like a little bit more positive reset, but from what I've read I cannot install the kit for that because my gun is the newest version without that hole in the frame. Are there any other options for this?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DatGat:
I got one of those FS 9mm M&Ps with nightsights and 3 mags for $409 from the deal a couple months ago and found it to be one of my favorite handguns while costing half what some of the others did, except the trigger.  I don't know if I  just got a bad one, but it was seriously the worst trigger I've ever felt on a handgun.  The break was very unpredictable and it wouldn't happen until the trigger was buried all the way to the grip. I had my gunsmith install the Apex FSS polymer trigger and it is a whole different world.  I can put rounds on target faster than any of my other guns and I've fallen in love with this M&P.  Just an excellent all around gun now.  I only wish they would come with a decent trigger from the factory because I don't want to spend $150+ on each one for a usable trigger.

I would still like a little bit more positive reset, but from what I've read I cannot install the kit for that because my gun is the newest version without that hole in the frame. Are there any other options for this?
View Quote

The newest slide stops improve the reset quite a bit - try that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Still.

$560 for that gun with 3 mags, night sights, and awesome trigger is one hell of a value.

Folks happily upgrade, or customize their AR's and 1911's all the time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Flatulence:

Still.

$560 for that gun with 3 mags, night sights, and awesome trigger is one hell of a value.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flatulence:

Still.

Oh, I know I got a smoking deal on the gun, but that was a very rare deal.  I guess I'll just shut up and keep shooting!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Midway put Apex parts on sale this week.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:
Midway put Apex parts on sale this week.
View Quote

Thank you. Picked up another FSS w/ Aluminum Trigger and another aluminum trigger for two of my M&Ps. All three should have the same internals now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I am a huge fan of apex tactical. I bought the M&P 40 a while back over a G23. At first I thought I made a fantastic purchase, until I shot the M&P. I hated it! It didn't matter how hard I tried, I couldn't hit anything, and the stock trigger was terrible. I practiced my technique, and finally got to shoot my M&P better but I still hated the trigger take up, the gritty trigger and the almost nonexistent reset. In comes apex tactical, I purchased a DCAEK and the difference was so significant. I fell I love with my gun immediately. It was shooting smoothly and much better. Then, I had the AEK polymer trigger and I was blown away. My M&P because something completely different. The trigger was so smooth and the trigger break was smooth and short as heck. Also the trigger reset was very pronounced!

I will be buying a compact for my wife and she will get the apex stuff in hers too, I highly recommend it
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I put the DCAEK and poly AEK in my FS 9mm and it totally changed the gun for the better. I left the stock trigger return spring in and the pull is around 4lbs 10oz with about half the takeup that it had stock, very little over travel, and a short reset. I'm thinking about selling my Sig P320 and getting another M&P.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got done installing all my Apex goodies. I've been piecing it together for a while.

First it was just the trigger and I was impressed by how much better it felt over the stock one.

Next my birthday present to myself, the DCAEK showed up and I installed all the frame bits. I didn't think it could get much better than that.

Today my new rear sight showed up so I installed it along with the striker block and spring...Why is this not how it comes from the factory? I'm in love
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:20:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eaglecp] [#17]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

I did the APEX AEK polymer trigger, simply because I hate the hinged trigger. This alone made both my pro's 10x better and more enjoyable for me to shoot, apex says a 20% reduction in pre travel, and I believe it. I also added the APEX RAM to help with the reset, I personally could not tell a difference with the RAM installed.

Next I checked to make sure my Pro's had the latest parts, in which they did have the "H" stamped trigger bars, but not the newest slide release with the "bump" on the right side to give the better felt reset. I ordered 2 and installed them and the reset is better and more noticable.

If you want to go on the cheap, APEX AEK polymer trigger, Factory "H" stamped trigger bar, and revised factory slide release.

<a href="http://s332.photobucket.com/user/bad2006z71/media/SW%20Pro%20Series%205in-9mm/20140401_2101431_zps9ffe08d4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m359/bad2006z71/SW%20Pro%20Series%205in-9mm/20140401_2101431_zps9ffe08d4.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Gents,

I have a new 9pro5.

I love the pistol,  hell it has me looking at replacing my glocks with smiths.

Anyway, I do wish the trigger had a cleaner take up and audible reset.

She is a paperpuncher but has recently taken up a bedside gun manner.

Without reading 8 pgs....Recommendations on the apex parts needed to make her perfect?

I did the APEX AEK polymer trigger, simply because I hate the hinged trigger. This alone made both my pro's 10x better and more enjoyable for me to shoot, apex says a 20% reduction in pre travel, and I believe it. I also added the APEX RAM to help with the reset, I personally could not tell a difference with the RAM installed.

Next I checked to make sure my Pro's had the latest parts, in which they did have the "H" stamped trigger bars, but not the newest slide release with the "bump" on the right side to give the better felt reset. I ordered 2 and installed them and the reset is better and more noticable.

If you want to go on the cheap, APEX AEK polymer trigger, Factory "H" stamped trigger bar, and revised factory slide release.

<a href="http://s332.photobucket.com/user/bad2006z71/media/SW%20Pro%20Series%205in-9mm/20140401_2101431_zps9ffe08d4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m359/bad2006z71/SW%20Pro%20Series%205in-9mm/20140401_2101431_zps9ffe08d4.jpg</a>

I also just finished installing the APEX AEK polymer trigger in my M&P 45 FS and it is truley a  fantastic upgrade. I only wish I would have done this sooner.

Great product APEX!!  

cp
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]
So I installed the DCAEK in my M&P 40 with the Poly AEK trigger. I watched the installation videos several times before the installation. I installed every component in the kit and  adjusted the loop to about .018. The pre-travel didn't seem to improve at all and the break didn't seem to be as "greatly improved" or "night and day' like everyone else says about it. I am wondering if I missed something during the installation. I figured it would be much better than what it is. I did swap the trigger return spring back to the original to see if there was any difference - no big improvement.

Any suggestions? Increase the trigger bar loop gap?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I just installed the Apex Flat Faced Forward Set Sear in my M&P45C.  Wow!!! Can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]
FYI everything is on sale!

this thread made me buy the polymer trigger
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By fatcat4620:

View Quote

Bought three polymer kits  Still want the polymer trigger for the Shield
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Installed the polymer trigger tonight. At first  trigger would bottom out and then the striker would let go. I used a flat head screw driver to pry the trigger bar loop thing like the video said I might need to do (they had fancy gauges and shit, I had redneck ingenuity).  The adjustment worked and just the polymer trigger alone made a massive improvement. I can't stop dry firing I like it so much.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LSUmakemewanna:
So, I've installed the trigger....and I notice that the "safety action" part of the trigger is a bit more inset as compared to the pictures I see you guys/gals post.  Cause for concern? What is the issue here, if there is one?

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/lsumakemewanna/trigger_zpsee98443b.jpg
View Quote

I had the same problem. Try nudging the trigger forward, the safety isn't resseting. I took a little sandpaper to the rear of the trigger safety blade, solved the problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:38:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LordsOfDiscipline] [#24]
Originally Posted By b4MARSOC:

View All Quotes

First polymer kit installed on the M&P9fs.  It is a different weapon and for the better - very crisp break and clear reset.  With the old trigger I was down and to the left with decent groups and the occasional flyer.  Now dead center and no flyer - so far .  My .45 has been in the shop before Christmas because it needs a new sear housing (??) due to being an older model.  The smith ordered the part from S&W so I may see the .45 just before Ted Cruz is inaugurated.  The 9 will be off to ATEi to have a RMR installed.  Last one to install will be the M&P9c.

Still waiting for the Shield polymer kit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I just ordered the DCAEK kit, polymer trigger kit, RAM, and a set of Heinie Straight 8's. If I set aside about 3 hours and 2 beers I should be able to get that thing together, right?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Whats the best bang for the buck upgrade?  I will admit this was a lot to read so I just skipped and went straight to asking what was probably already asked earlier.

I currently use the M&P40 on duty.  We had the originals a few years back that were great.  Then our department switched them out with the newer models (supposedly more durable parts that require less maintenance).  Well after the upgrade, every one of our officer's shooting scored dropped across the board... I usually shoot a 99-100, now I'm shooting 96-98...  I don't know what it is, the trigger feels different.

Anyway I'm asking because I plain on getting a M&P40 Pro CORE (maybe ported, I don't know) and was wondering which upgrades would be best.  Yes I know "best" is a broad word with not a lot of explanation

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Hard to call it "best single upgrade" but I really like the Apex FSS and Trigger Kit (polymer or aluminum - I like the aluminum just fine, but have not tried a polymer).
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Firefighter503:
Hard to call it "best single upgrade" but I really like the Apex FSS and Trigger Kit (polymer or aluminum - I like the aluminum just fine, but have not tried a polymer).
View Quote

This!

(I have and like the polymer trigger, but have not tried the aluminum.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Firefighter503:

View Quote

Added to my "to buy" list, thanks!  I do really hate the trigger on the newer model M&Ps... just awful...  
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:38:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LordsOfDiscipline] [#31]

First polymer kit installed on the M&P9fs.  It is a different weapon and for the better - very crisp break and clear reset.  With the old trigger I was down and to the left with decent groups and the occasional flyer.  Now dead center and no flyer - so far .  My .45 has been in the shop before Christmas because it needs a new sear housing (??) due to being an older model.  The smith ordered the part from S&W so I may see the .45 just before Ted Cruz is inaugurated.  The 9 will be off to ATEi to have a RMR installed.  Last one to install will be the M&P9c.

View All Quotes

APEX kit installed in the .45 and picked it up today - see above.  Again a completely new weapon and the experience parallels what I stated above.  I've always liked my M&Ps now I love them.

eta bolded, italicized, underlined in red for anyone that may be paying attention in Los Osos  
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#32]
Apex polymer trigger and USB in both, Apex hard sear in full size and RAM in the compact. All done by yours truly:

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Still waiting for a poly Shield trigger...
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Will the ram still work with a 4.25 pro that is under a year old? Took it to the range today for the first time and I couldn't hardly feel it reset
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't forget when installing the RAM, or putting the sear block back in after you've installed it, there is a flat spot on the damn thing.

I put it in 2-1/2ish years ago, and today I swapped my D/C springs for the competition ones. It only took 4 times taking it apart and putting it back together before I figured out what was wrong.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#36]
So question.

I have a 5" Pro series, which I have added the Apex AEK trigger, Ram, updated slide release and H trigger bar.

The only real issue I had with the pistol was the amount of pre travel from the hinged trigger. The AEK took care of that. The updated trigger bar and release helped with the reset.

Is there any benefit to having the DCAEK kit installed?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Just installed my Ram. I think my pro is responding much better than my standard mp9 did to the part. Nice audible and physical sensation. Thumbs up
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#39]
So have they completely shelved the ram for the thumb safety and .45 models?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#40]

So question.

I have a 5" Pro series, which I have added the Apex AEK trigger, Ram, updated slide release and H trigger bar.

The only real issue I had with the pistol was the amount of pre travel from the hinged trigger. The AEK took care of that. The updated trigger bar and release helped with the reset.

View Quote
The ultimate striker block will smooth out the trigger pull and the hardened sear will lower the trigger pull weight and change where it breaks. It may add more pre-travel to the trigger.

To really get rid of the pre-travel, you'd need to use the forward set sear and trigger.

Most people that use the AEK trigger use the AEK spring and sear/striker block kits along with it.

Where did you find the updated trigger bar and slide release for sale?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

The ultimate striker block will smooth out the trigger pull and the hardened sear will lower the trigger pull weight and change where it breaks. It may add more pre-travel to the trigger.    

To really get rid of the pre-travel, you'd need to use the forward set sear and trigger.

Most people that use the AEK trigger use the AEK spring and sear/striker block kits along with it.

View All Quotes

So question.

Sounds like the whole kit is not really for me then as the pull weight is just fine and the AEK trigger removed enough pre travel to make me happy. She is slightly gritty but not as bad as stock M&P triggers.

PM inbound on the parts.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:17:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Daytona955i] [#42]

Sounds like the whole kit is not really for me then as the pull weight is just fine and the AEK trigger removed enough pre travel to make me happy. She is slightly gritty but not as bad as stock M&P triggers.
PM inbound on the parts.

View All Quotes

So question.

PM inbound on the parts.

The grit might be able to be removed by a little polishing on the trigger bar and the striker block, or just by wearing in the new trigger bar.

The pro-series sears are very close to the Apex ones. You might even like just the USB from Apex, that alone might smooth out the trigger if a light polish doesn't cut it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Ive got a few questions hopefully you guys can help me out

I really want to replace the trigger itself in my shield and pro, the harsh curve of the trigger is very uncomfortable to me.

I'd really like to replace it with the flat faced versions Ive seen pictures of.    

Are the polymer triggers gtg?

Can I get just the trigger, or do I also need to get a drop in kit like the dcaek?

Want to put the same trigger on the shield and the pro if that is possible?

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By 55sixer:

Ive got a few questions hopefully you guys can help me out

I really want to replace the trigger itself in my shield and pro, the harsh curve of the trigger is very uncomfortable to me.

I'd really like to replace it with the flat faced versions Ive seen pictures of.    

Are the polymer triggers gtg?

Can I get just the trigger, or do I also need to get a drop in kit like the dcaek?

Want to put the same trigger on the shield and the pro if that is possible?

View Quote

I'm not familiar with all the APEX kits, but I have simply the polymer AEK trigger. It works perfectly and is better than the hinged trigger.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Anybody else here running the flat faced forward set sear?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#46]
anyone know of a gun smith to do APEX jobs with a quick turn around? APEX quotes like a 3-4 month wait for an installation.

I'd do it myself but it says you need to remove the sights and I don't want to spend $120 on the tool to do it without potentially cracking the frame or fucking the sights up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
anyone know of a gun smith to do APEX jobs with a quick turn around? APEX quotes like a 3-4 month wait for an installation.

I'd do it myself but it says you need to remove the sights and I don't want to spend $120 on the tool to do it without potentially cracking the frame or fucking the sights up.
View Quote

Apex sends a tool to use to push your sights out with their kits, or you can use a flat faced punch or a piece of wood or...

Just buy the parts you want and do it yourself. You'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#48]
For a person coming from a few years with bone stock m&p triggers, would you recommend the fss kit with curved trigger or flat trigger? Only flat trigger I have ever shot is a cmc AR trigger. And have a few hundred rounds through a 1911.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I really like my 1911 trigger feel.  When I picked up the M&P I was really dissapointed in the trigger.  I met with the guys at APEX, at the Shot Show in Jan.  I tried out their new FFS trigger.  I was sold right off the bat.  I purchased 2 sets for both of my M&P's.  They were pretty easy to install.  The trigger feel is more like the 1911, It has improved my shooting quite a bit.  The down fall is that I wish the reset was a bit more distinct.  Other then that, these FFS triggers make the M&P a much better shooter.

You will have the option to install a 3lb or a 5 lb trigger pull spring.  If your using your M&P for carry and range, use the 5lb spring.  The 3 lb spring should only be used for competition.  Its a bit light for every day carry.

By the way APEX has the FFS triggers in two colors.  Black and a very cool red.  Spend the money on the FFS.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I recently installed DCAEK in my M&P-9 along with the polymer trigger.  Installation of the Hard Sear and USB were very easy.  The trigger install was a little harder due to the trigger bar not wanting to stay in place while I was trying to tap down the pin.  Also I had to adjust the "Candy Cane" on the end of the trigger bar to get it to engage the sear properly.  This wasn't difficult but it was annoying to install everything and then disassemble the gun repeatedly trying to get the gap to the right size so it would function properly.  

After a trip to the range today I would say the DCAEK is a very good upgrade and every M&P I own will have it.  However I was not as fond of the polymer trigger.  The break and reset is nice but it is too "Glock-like".
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top