Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/17/2012 2:07:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTacticalCoyote]
This is for both the new and experienced M&P shooters to have an Apex buyers guide.

Most of these parts can be dropped in by the user if you follow the online videos provided by Apex and use the correct tools. If you don't feel confident in doing so, take it to your local gunsmith or M&P armorer.

Depending on how old your M&P is, it might have the older* Sear Housing Block (SHB) that has the smaller sear plunger and spring that can give you a dead trigger. You can send off your older SHB to Apex and they will open up the hole and give you the newer plunger a spring. *Pre 2011.

Drop in stand alone parts.
USB - Ultimate Striker Block: Replacement part greatly reduces the gritty trigger pull because of how polished and domed the USB is. Requires removing the rear sight to install.
RAM - Reset Assist Mechanism: Drop in part for certain M&P pistols that helps reset the trigger by pushing the trigger back forward giving you a tactile and audible reset like Glocks. Works with standard sear housing blocks and mag disconnect models.Apex is working on a version for thumb safeties. Required removing the SHB just enough to install.
Hard Sear: Replacement sear that is made out of tool hardened steel. Improved angles of the Hard Sear will lighten the trigger pull weight and reduce over travel and the reset, but will have a little bit more pre travel. Works with all M&Ps including the Shield. 45 ACP version available as well. Requires removing the SHB just enough to install.
GFS - Gunsmith Fit Sear: Just like the hard sear as far as what it is made out of and the trigger pull weight, but breaks at the same point as the factory sear. Allows a gunsmith/armorer/tinkerer get the breaking point they want with out worrying about hitting the gooey center of a factory MIM sear.
FRE - Failure Resistant Extractor: Replacement extractor. I personally don't think the stock extractor needs to changed out until it is worn out. Once it has, replace it with this.
AEK - Action Enhancement Kit Trigger: Replacement trigger for the stock trigger that reduces pre travel and over travel by 20%. Has a flat trigger for a more consistent trigger pull. May require opening of the trigger bar loop to function correctly. Currently aluminum and polymer versions available. Have tested the polymer version and I love it. Mini review here. Will work on any M&P except Shield.

Drop in kits.
DCAEK - Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit: A drop in kit that replaces the striker block and striker block spring (USB), and  sear (Hard Sear), and trigger return spring. Once installed with safely reduce the trigger pull to 5-5 1/2 pounds. Designed to be used for concealed carry or on a duty gun. Works on all M&Ps and has a 45 ACP version as well.
SCK - Shield Carry Kit: Just like the DCAEK, except designed just for the Shield.
CAEK - Competition Action Enhancement Kit: A drop in kit that replaces the striker block and striker block spring (USB), and  sear (Hard Sear), trigger return spring and competition springs.. Once installed it will take the trigger pull down to 3 pounds. Designed to be used for competition only, not for duty or carry. Works on all M&Ps and has a 45 ACP version as well.
FSS - Forward Set Sear: A very extensive drop in kit that gives users a very 1911 like trigger pull if installed correctly. Replaces many of the stock parts with USB, Hard Sear, springs and even a new trigger. Produces a trigger pull in the 4-5 pound range. Designed for competition use only, but many users use this in their M&Ps with thumb safeties for the full 1911 package. Works with all M&Ps* including 45 ACP. *Does not work with the Shield.

Here is the link for Apex Tactical's Youtube channel on how to install. Apex Youtube
I will update this as new parts come to market.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 9:36:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALbert] [#1]
I bought an APEX hard sear for my M&P 40C a few years ago.  It improved the trigger immensely.  If you are mechanically inclined, the video was helpful and easy to follow.

I have also shot this gun with a drop in factory 9mm barrel and I can tell you the trigger control was much better than my unmodified Glock 19.  Shooting them side by side unsupported, about half the shots typically pulled 6" low at 25 feet with the Glock, while the M&P maintained steady groups.  I attribute this to the Apex sear.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the Apex FSS kit and RAM installed in my FS 9.  It completely changed the gun and I highly recommend it.  The s&w armorer who installed it had a lot of trouble because of one of the many rolling changes to the m&p line.  My gun was made last month and has a new trigger bar.  Apex worked with him and was very helpful getting the kit installed and working.

I have put 200 rounds down range since the install and my groups have improved a lot, especially followup shots.  It is perfectly safe to use for EDC.  The pull weight has not changed at all, the only thing that changed was the take up and over travel have been shortened and the grit in the pull is gone.  If a ND happens with a FSS equipped gun, it was going to happen with a stock trigger as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you get a Glock like trigger reset?

My earlier M&P had a decent pull and a reset like a hipower. The ones I played with on a shop recently had the grittiest, creepiest triggers I've ever felt.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I put in shield kit––-  nice
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:

My earlier M&P had a decent pull and a reset like a hipower. The ones I played with on a shop recently had the grittiest, creepiest triggers I've ever felt.

Look at the RAM.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Put a RAM a few weeks ago, and shot it for the first time the other day.  It really gives the tactile reset similar to the Glock or Sig.  I recommend, and it took 5 minutes to install, and I am not an armorer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Who has good prices on APEX products?
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Brownells does, especially if you get the discount.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:17:29 AM EDT
[#9]

What you need is the FSS AND the RAM.

FSS replaces the awful two-stage stock trigger with a Glock-style trigger complete with short reset.

RAM gives the trigger reset a tactile and audible "click" so the reset point can easily be detected.

I installed both myself, and I am not the most technically savvy individual.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By pulpsmack:

FSS replaces the awful two-stage stock trigger with a Glock-style trigger complete with short reset.

RAM gives the trigger reset a tactile and audible "click" so the reset point can easily be detected.

Glocks have a two stage type trigger as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:

He meant the glock style trigger safety thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By beve:

He meant the glock style trigger safety thing.

Oh that dohickey that attaches to the thing and protrudes from the gizmo. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 8:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abigangryindian] [#13]
got a FSS and Trigger kit from apex. I love it.. i was a sig guy but not anymore. i love the trigger break and reset of this gun. it makes fallow up shots smooth and quick. i feel like a speed shooter. when im at the range instinct shooting. or to say not looking down my sights drawing from my IWB holster i can shoot much more accurately and find that i jerk much less. the arm bent or punched out. this system helps me in alot of ways. i only shot my M&P about 100rnds before the kit so im no expert on the stock M&P but this kit is awsome. easy to install to i did it myself in about an hour. i only used on brass driver one small punch a 1/16 allen key and a hammer. i would suggest a sight pusher over a brass driver and hammer.
one pic didnt work but im not sure why sry if it pops up 2
" />
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 2:08:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Unfortuantely, the RAM is not available for the VTAC line.  Unless something has changed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 10:52:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By shotdown:

Unfortuantely, the RAM is not available for the VTAC line.  Unless something has changed.

Apex is working on a RAM for thumb safety SHB at the moment. Should be soon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#16]
From Someone that prefers Striker fired trigger systems and has shot a lot of Glocks with expensive trigger work done to them,  The Apex FSS is the best trigger out there. I spent a stupid amount of money getting mine right, but I chose to do so rather than wait.  The Trigger is reall fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't buy an M&P for a while because of the trigger but loved the way the felt. I finally got an M&P and talked with a guy from APEX about what I wanted out of the trigger. I went with the carry kit and got what I wanted. Cleaner pull, better break (thought the stock break was nice) and a much better reset. The reset doesn't have that click like Glocks but the RAM solves that, I decided to leave the RAM out. I plan on getting the polymer AEK trigger when it comes out to help get an even better trigger.

APEX did a great job with the products and they really improve a great pistol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#18]
dauph I find the aluminum trigger to have a better feel in and of itself, of course I have not tried the poly version of the same
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I installed the DCAEK and RAM on both of my M&P 9's.

Simple tools as noted above, but I drifted the rear sight by using a trick I read somewhere.

I placed the gun on a roll of duct tape and with my hand holding the gun stll, I also held a square oak dowel rod ( flattened on one side ) against the sight.  Then sharply whacked the oak rod with a small hammer.

The duct tape trick worked fine on my full size, but I had to use a buddy's vise for the compact.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I just put my M&P full size down on a 2x4 block and used a brass punch to drift my rear sight out, no problems.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:
dauph I find the aluminum trigger to have a better feel in and of itself, of course I have not tried the poly version of the same

I e-mailed Apex about the poly trigger and they couldn't give me an ETA for release. The aluminum would be nice, but I think the poly trigger may be legal for production class competition shooting. I am ignorant about competition shooting so if someone wants to comment on that I would be interested in knowing because if that is true I would rather wait for the poly version.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#22]

I am only waiting for the polymer version because I am hoping it is much cheaper. Does the AEK reduce the the pull length?
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 12:18:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#23]
May we have some objective differences in before and after group sizes?  I really want to like my M&P, but so far it doesn't seem to like me very much.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got the ram and comp aek kit on my 9mm.. I use it for USPSA production division and love it... Great company and great cust service!
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Are there any issues with apex gear and a manual safety?
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TannerB:
Are there any issues with apex gear and a manual safety?

None at all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Would be nice to add to OP a link to a good youtube video on replacement procedures.

Thx.

Link Posted: 9/20/2012 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Mosspointers:
Would be nice to add to OP a link to a good youtube video on replacement procedures.

Thx.

Done.
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mosspointers:

Thx.

Done.

Great thx.

Now could you send me the 100 bucks to get what I need?
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the guide.  I need to make some upgrades to my M&Ps and Shield.  I was watching one of the videos and they have a cool little armorer's block they uses, apparently it may be for sale soon.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an M&P45 Compact with Apex DCAEK installed. Im getting an M&P45 fullsize for duty, and will be installing another DCAEK. Both have/will have manual safeties. I love the trigger how it is now, but i would like to see the RAM for thumb safety models, and maybe ill get the FSS polymer version someday too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#33]
If I get the DCAEK and the RAM for my 9mm pro, is there any reason to also get the AEK trigger?  I'd like to eliminate a fair amount of travel but its not exclusively a competition gun.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SCW:
If I get the DCAEK and the RAM for my 9mm pro, is there any reason to also get the AEK trigger?  I'd like to eliminate a fair amount of travel but its not exclusively a competition gun.

Thanks

I have the DCAEK and RAM in my M&Ps and I plan on getting the polymer AEK trigger and I don't use them for competition. I just want the best trigger possible.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Any idea why the RAM won't work in the VTAC models?

Link Posted: 10/12/2012 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Thanks

I have the DCAEK and RAM in my M&Ps and I plan on getting the polymer AEK trigger and I don't use them for competition. I just want the best trigger possible.

That is why I went with the FSS
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks

Well I've been a 1911 shooter for a long time, and then I moved over to the Hi-Power and I completely re-worked the trigger to make it about as good as a Hi-Power trigger can be, but for some reason I'm hesitant to go crazy with the M&P trigger.  These are my first and only striker-fired pistols (I have two, the Pro and a 9C) and I've decided they need some help.

Do you carry with the FSS?  It seems to me that as long as it still functions correctly it's still just as safe as with stock parts.

I might try the DCAEK, RAM and AEK trigger and if I still don't like it enough I'll dump them into the 9C and put the FSS into the Pro.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't like the FSS at all.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Thanks

Well I've been a 1911 shooter for a long time, and then I moved over to the Hi-Power and I completely re-worked the trigger to make it about as good as a Hi-Power trigger can be, but for some reason I'm hesitant to go crazy with the M&P trigger.  These are my first and only striker-fired pistols (I have two, the Pro and a 9C) and I've decided they need some help.

Do you carry with the FSS?  It seems to me that as long as it still functions correctly it's still just as safe as with stock parts.

I might try the DCAEK, RAM and AEK trigger and if I still don't like it enough I'll dump them into the 9C and put the FSS into the Pro.

yes I carry it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Why?
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 1:18:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Why?

Just don't. Have had plenty of trigger time behind one and its just meh for me. I prefer just the Hard Sear, RAM and USB. I want to give the AEK a go though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 2006highsierra:

Any idea why the RAM won't work in the VTAC models?

The VTAC, Range & Carry Kit, and possibly all other current production M&P models by now, use the thumb safety SHB and frame.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I was looking at the FSS for mine, but I have the small plunger...
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SickMAK90:
I was looking at the FSS for mine, but I have the small plunger...

Buy a new SHB.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Just installed the FSS and its the bees tits.

Definately need some trigger time to adjust bit it was easy to install and changes the gun into a better one.

For a competition shooter like myself its what has been missing.GET.SOME!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:09:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hwhiskey82] [#46]
I wonder if fss + competition springs = a mouse fart of a trigger pull??

Anyone try it.out?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Hwhiskey82:
I wonder if fss + competition springs = a mouse fart of a trigger pull??

Anyone try it.out?

The FSS is already light enough, short enough.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Roger that. Figured ud ask, ya never know what someone would try.lol
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I got the FSS and RAM for my M&P 40, which I originally intended to be a competition/range gun. I like it so much I started using it as an every day carry and have run through a couple training classes with it.

Its is pretty light. You definitely wouldn't want it any lighter or shorter on a carry gun with no safety.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Polymere AEK should be out in January per the APEX newsletter. $4 range
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top