Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2012 8:49:50 AM EDT
My current warm weather CCW is a 637 Airweight. I handled a new Shield last night a really liked it. 11 rounds and a fast reload > 5 rounds and a reload strip.

I guess another reason I like it is because I have a Dillon 650 set up for 9mm and have lots of ammo and components. I have to single stage load my .38s.

Does anyone have a loaded weight comparison of the two?
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you pocket carry?  I'd be interested to see how the Shield sits in a pocket holster in slacks.  I can't imagine comfortably carrying a pistol the size of a Walther PPS, but a J-frame disappears.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't help you on the weight comparrisons, but I do have an opinion on your titled issue...

Don't sell the J-Frame... ever.  I have one and just installed Apex's trigger spring upgrade for $20.  Excellent value!!!!  And makes the trigger REALLY fun to shoot.  This trigger was already awesome before, but the double action pull is half the stock weight.

Don't buy the Sheild... yet.  Wait until they've been out a while.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
11 rounds and a fast reload? The Shield comes with a 7rd & 8rd magazine unless someone already has a 10rd mag in the mix....

As to the original question, I can only give you my opinion and uses for both. I use my LCR for the rare occasion as an ankle/BUG or in my 5.11 shirt when bike riding. The Shield seems to be a good, slim IWB carry gun. IMO, people should have options when it comes to carry methods so I would keep the snub and buy the Shield as an addition to your carry line-up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I was wrong I thought it was a 10+1 gun. I guess I really want another 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
11 rounds and a fast reload? The Shield comes with a 7rd & 8rd magazine unless someone already has a 10rd mag in the mix....

As to the original question, I can only give you my opinion and uses for both. I use my LCR for the rare occasion as an ankle/BUG or in my 5.11 shirt when bike riding. The Shield seems to be a good, slim IWB carry gun. IMO, people should have options when it comes to carry methods so
I would keep the snub and buy the Shield as an addition to your carry line-up.

The J frame is a better front pocket gun.
The shield is a better light clothing IWB.

You'll wind up wanting another J Frame, so why take the hit on selling it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As to the original question, I can only give you my opinion and uses for both. I use my LCR for the rare occasion as an ankle/BUG or in my 5.11 shirt when bike riding. The Shield seems to be a good, slim IWB carry gun. IMO, people should have options when it comes to carry methods so

I was actually going to give the 637 to my father so he doesn't have to lug around his SA Champion this summer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was actually going to give the 637 to my father so he doesn't have to lug around his SA Champion this summer.

Well, you seem to have painted yourself into a corner - clearly the gun budget needs to be increased

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's a great gesture on your part but it's always nice to have options. I have a pocket, ankle, shirt pocket,IWB and OWB option for any season. I always go for the biggest gun I can carry but I'd rather have options in-case I just can't do IWB. I think many people just want one gun to do it all and then end up buying all sorts of different guns trying to find the perfect one that is good enough for defense but can be used in all weather and attire. About 95% of the time I carry IWB, 3% in the pocket and 2% in a 5.11 short or ankle when bike riding or other activities. It's just my opinion but don't try and put all your eggs in one basket if your budget allows it or you'll be on the never ending search for the "perfect" all around gun.

Link Posted: 5/1/2012 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if this helps you OP but
Here's my shield as compared to my J frame model 49 (not airweigth)
Just to give you an idea of the size and weight using a kitchen scale.
You will see in the pics , the shield with the 8rd weighs 1lb 8.44oz and 7rd magazine, 1lb 7.63oz
The Model 49 J frame, loaded weighs 1lb 7.32oz.
(Shield 9mm mags filled to capacity but nothing in the chamber. Model 49 with 5 rds in the cylinder)
I also posted this in the comparsion thread.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-
Link Posted: 5/1/2012 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not sure if this helps you OP but
Here's my shield as compared to my J frame model 49 (not airweigth)
Just to give you an idea of the size and weight using a kitchen scale.
You will see in the pics , the shield with the 8rd weighs 1lb 8.44oz and 7rd magazine, 1lb 7.63oz
The Model 49 J frame, loaded weighs 1lb 7.32oz.
(Shield 9mm mags filled to capacity but nothing in the chamber. Model 49 with 5 rds in the cylinder)
I also posted this in the comparsion thread.

-
Great post, just what I was looking for

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top