Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2011 9:02:06 PM EDT
Hey all, I think this may actually be my 2nd post.  Any rate, while I'm waiting on my CHL application to get processed, I've been going back and forth about which firearm to get.  So I decided to rent both and try them out.

I wanted the Glock 17 and M&P 9, as that is the caliber I've decided will be for me, and today's test with the .40 guns confirmed that, but they didn't have a Glock 17 to rent along with an M&P 9...  so I went with the .40's.  I went through 100 rounds with both guns.

Some points for me on why I like the M&P better:

1.  Comfort - Glock is like holding a square brick in my hand.  M&P is literally a perfect fit with all the right curves.
2.  Slide release/lock - this is so much easier for me to feel without looking on the M&P.  That little release lever on the Glock took focus every time for some reason.  
3.  I shot the M&P better, but only slightly so.  Best group of the day was at 10 yards.  I was able to keep 14 of 15 rounds inside a 4" circle target on the M&P.  6 of 15 didn't stay in with the Glock.  Other attempts at accuracy test all consistently proved that I am a better shot with the M&P overall... probably because of the comfort.

I've definitely decided that the .40 is not for me.  Primarily because, the last 10 rounds of the 100 round lot, I was shaking like the paint department at Home Depot.  The fatigue was overwhelming (and surprising, considering I do shoot a good bit of long rifle where fatigue really messes with your consistency).  But also because I like to shoot a lot, and money is tight.  Wally World has the $21 box of 9mm Luger x100, so I'll purchase as much of that as I can for range work, and likely carry some Federal HST hollow points.

I did send the target out to 25 yards.  Put the last 10 of the 100 rounds through the M&P.  Not very accurate.  9 of 10 rounds found the paper.  Shaky shaky!

Any rate, I had fun, and the shooting today helped me make what was turning out to be a tough decision.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've definitely decided that the .40 is not for me.  Primarily because, the last 10 rounds of the 100 round lot, I was shaking like the paint department at Home Depot.  The fatigue was overwhelming (and surprising, considering I do shoot a good bit of long rifle where fatigue really messes with your consistency).

Interesting, I can't tell the difference between shooting 9mm and .40 S&W (Glock 17 and Glock 22).  Do you think the distance may have contributed to you shaking?  How tightly were you gripping the pistol?    

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Interesting, I can't tell the difference between shooting 9mm and .40 S&W (Glock 17 and Glock 22).  Do you think the distance may have contributed to you shaking?  How tightly were you gripping the pistol?    

Just went through this sticky regarding using a 9mm barrel in the .40 platform.  Makes sense, the frames are the same (not that that is everything regarding barrel fit, cuz I know shit about that).
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/104694_9mm_MandP_barrel_in_a__40_SandW_a_photo_comparison_UPDATE_IN_OP_Range_test.html

Interesting choice, though, no doubt.

To answer your question.  Personally, I think the shaking came from the repeated punch of the recoil.  It was present before I went to 25 yards for the last 10.  I also failed to mention in my OP that I did shoot 10 rounds in each gun left handed (single), and there was some pain from an old motorcycle crash injury associated with that.

Now given, I'm not a seasoned shooter.  Most on here have had more bloody noses than I have shot pistol rounds.  But, it was something I could not avoid or control towards the end (personally, i think my family neurological disorder history may be contributing here too.  I've always been little more "twitchy" than the next guy, i.e. can't hold my hand totally still much of the time).  I do think there is a very good chance that the same thing would happen with the 9mm platform... for me.  The shaking was of the degree that it was like I was nervous or something.  And that may be true to an extent, since I am so new to pistol shooting.

It is clear to me that I need to shoot more, so hence, another reason to stay with the 9mm.  That sticky post above does perk an interest.  I like flexibility.

Thanks for the responses.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Coke is better
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy a M&P40.

pick up a 9mm barrel  and mags for range time.

40 barrel for daily carry.

Also look at getting a 357 Sig barrel

Then you have a 3 caliber gun.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that is exactly what I am going to do.

Is there another thread that talks about the 357sig barrel?  I didn't see that in the sticky.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think that is exactly what I am going to do.

Is there another thread that talks about the 357sig barrel? I didn't see that in the sticky.
Same platform, requires a barrel swap.

Uses the same magazines.

Watch the EE for a 357 Sig and 9mm barrel.

If no luck, you can buy from S&W direct, or Midway, Brownells, Lone Wolf, etc....

I liked the 357 Sig so much, I picked up a barrel for my G22 also.

I will warn you now, 357 Sig ammo is a few $$$ more.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally I prefer the slingshot method over using the slide release. I have better consistency this way.

Also, on both my compact and fullsize M&P, if you slam the mag home the slide will release on its own.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top