Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2011 12:21:32 PM EDT
One has detachable rails on the bottom the other doesn't.  Why is S&W making both of these models when they are essentially the same.  I guess the M&P gets the M&P treatment (charge holes, etc).

Am I missing something?

Anybody bought either?  I would interested in how you came to the decision on which one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the R8 and it is by far the best handgun/revolver I have ever owned.  I can hit clays at 25-40 yards easily, which says a lot because I'm not known for my accuracy.  I can even do it in DA.  
I put a TLR-1 on it and it complements it well and hasn't failed yet and so far I have put 400-500 rounds through it, all .357 loads.  The recoil is very manageable and I can shoot it for 2-3 hours and not feel worn out.  My other revolver (M&P 340) with .357 loads isn't as nice, 10 rounds and I'm pretty much done.  
Trigger pull is lighter and smoother than my 340.  I had an LCR and the trigger on it was better, but it was DA only.  It is front heavy but I think the extra weight out front with the light helps.  
It's a unique gun and well worth it if you're going to invest in something like it.  You'll have a hard time finding a holster out there that accepts a light mounted as well, which is why I'm going to do my own.
Hope this helps you a little.
Ryan
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  

Still curious why both models exist.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the R-8 was geared primarily towards the Police market, the idea was that an entry team shield man would have a gun that would not malfunction due to a slide on an auto hitting the shield. I think S&W(and this is just a guess) figured that a civillain would like a rail but not attached all the time hence the removable bottom rail. I have a TRR8 and it is one of my favorite handguns as well, I even carry it CCW once in awhile. I lucked out finding my barely used one last summer and as much as I like it I would have had a hard time coughing up the retail price.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the R-8 was geared primarily towards the Police market, the idea was that an entry team shield man would have a gun that would not malfunction due to a slide on an auto hitting the shield. I think S&W(and this is just a guess) figured that a civillain would like a rail but not attached all the time hence the removable bottom rail. I have a TRR8 and it is one of my favorite handguns as well, I even carry it CCW once in awhile. I lucked out finding my barely used one last summer and as much as I like it I would have had a hard time coughing up the retail price.

Dan

Thanks for the info.  I like your hypothesis as yes I heard/read the same thing.  Geared toward the shield man as short armed guy might cause a FTF by boucing the slide off the shield.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 5:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I've wondered about this myself.  I've also been curious as to why those chose the five-inch length over a four-inch.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Cause 5" is Perfect! one of my friends had a pre-model 27 with a 5" inch barrel and that thing was Sweet.  I would guess that the 5" lets them get just enough rail length to make it useful. My TRR8 is one of my favorite guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top