Author
Posted: 4/15/2011 11:21:32 AM EST
One has detachable rails on the bottom the other doesn't. Why is S&W making both of these models when they are essentially the same. I guess the M&P gets the M&P treatment (charge holes, etc).

Am I missing something?

Anybody bought either? I would interested in how you came to the decision on which one.
short747
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/16/2011 11:10:03 PM EST
I have the R8 and it is by far the best handgun/revolver I have ever owned. I can hit clays at 25-40 yards easily, which says a lot because I'm not known for my accuracy. I can even do it in DA.
I put a TLR-1 on it and it complements it well and hasn't failed yet and so far I have put 400-500 rounds through it, all .357 loads. The recoil is very manageable and I can shoot it for 2-3 hours and not feel worn out. My other revolver (M&P 340) with .357 loads isn't as nice, 10 rounds and I'm pretty much done.
Trigger pull is lighter and smoother than my 340. I had an LCR and the trigger on it was better, but it was DA only. It is front heavy but I think the extra weight out front with the light helps.
It's a unique gun and well worth it if you're going to invest in something like it. You'll have a hard time finding a holster out there that accepts a light mounted as well, which is why I'm going to do my own.
Hope this helps you a little.
Ryan
PraesulPresul1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/26/2011 10:35:38 AM EST
Thanks for the info.

Still curious why both models exist.
R71
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/26/2011 3:19:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/26/2011 3:21:17 PM EST by R71]
I think the R-8 was geared primarily towards the Police market, the idea was that an entry team shield man would have a gun that would not malfunction due to a slide on an auto hitting the shield. I think S&W(and this is just a guess) figured that a civillain would like a rail but not attached all the time hence the removable bottom rail. I have a TRR8 and it is one of my favorite handguns as well, I even carry it CCW once in awhile. I lucked out finding my barely used one last summer and as much as I like it I would have had a hard time coughing up the retail price.

Dan
PraesulPresul1
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/16/2011 10:44:09 AM EST
Originally Posted By R71:
I think the R-8 was geared primarily towards the Police market, the idea was that an entry team shield man would have a gun that would not malfunction due to a slide on an auto hitting the shield. I think S&W(and this is just a guess) figured that a civillain would like a rail but not attached all the time hence the removable bottom rail. I have a TRR8 and it is one of my favorite handguns as well, I even carry it CCW once in awhile. I lucked out finding my barely used one last summer and as much as I like it I would have had a hard time coughing up the retail price.

Dan

Thanks for the info. I like your hypothesis as yes I heard/read the same thing. Geared toward the shield man as short armed guy might cause a FTF by boucing the slide off the shield.
PalmettoSharpshooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/17/2011 4:02:43 AM EST
I've wondered about this myself. I've also been curious as to why those chose the five-inch length over a four-inch.
R71
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/18/2011 1:55:46 PM EST
Cause 5" is Perfect! one of my friends had a pre-model 27 with a 5" inch barrel and that thing was Sweet. I would guess that the 5" lets them get just enough rail length to make it useful. My TRR8 is one of my favorite guns.