Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:44:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CitizenErased18] [#1]
Will this barrel work in my Full Size M&P40? It's in stock and I would like to buy it if it will work.  It isn't the conversion barrel, I guess just the replacement 9mm barrel.
Storm Lake 9mm Threaded Barrel
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dog1:

It should work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dog1:
Originally Posted By CitizenErased18:
Will this barrel work in my Full Size M&P40? It's in stock and I would like to buy it if it will work.  It isn't the conversion barrel, I guess just the replacement 9mm barrel.
Storm Lake 9mm Threaded Barrel

It should work.

Thank you, I guess I'll give it a whirl!
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
So I've finally saved enough to order me a shiny new full size M&P
Before I do I have a few ???

?1 = does the 9mm barrel work in the current generation 40

?2= does it work  with or without the thumb safety?

I would use the 9mm barrel in the 40  80% of the time.

?3 = for those of you who have done this conversion awhile ago do u  still find its a reliable combination

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow no responses?
Come on guys ......
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the response
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
does this work with the 40 long?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
So, just a week or two ago I ordered (back ordered) a 9mm barrel from Brownells for $78.xx. I was looking through the site today and the price has risen to $120.
Will they honor the back order price (providing they ever get them back in stock)?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By happycamp78:
So I've finally saved enough to order me a shiny new full size M&P
Before I do I have a few ???

?1 = does the 9mm barrel work in the current generation 40

?2= does it work  with or without the thumb safety?

I would use the 9mm barrel in the 40  80% of the time.

?3 = for those of you who have done this conversion awhile ago do u  still find its a reliable combination

View Quote

Mine is more accurate with the 9mm barrel than the .40 barrel it came with. I also got the .357Sig barrel. It groups well, but seems to shoot a couple of inches left while the other two are well centered.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you ever get the barrel from Brownels?  I talked to S&W recently, and they stated they are no longer selling barrels to individuals, nor are they filling orders/backorders to shops/online stores/etc - new procedure is that customer must send gun back to S&W for a caliber conversion.

Anyway, I see their point, it is a safety issue, but it's also S&W wants to make more money issues as well.

G&R tactical still has 9mm barrels in stock, in case you haven't been able to find one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlowpokeRodriguez] [#13]
I have a M&P 40 i bought last December. Not sure the exact production date.   I tried using a S&W factory threaded 9mm barrel in it. It cycles a little clunky, but too clunky with actual ammunition for a solid lock up.  I literally could fire one round aad then the next would not lockup all the way.  I just bought a 9mm slide to try it with.

With a suppressor on it WILL NOT close all the way at all.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I shot an IDPA match this weekend with a 5" 9mm barrel in my 5"40. no functionality issues at all. I want to do more accuracy testing I had good hit in the match.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#15]
**i didn't read the whole thread**
Storm lake (or other) threaded 9mm in a .40sw gun? Still good to go ?
I see an assumed answer above...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm running the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel in my stock 40c with no problems of any kind. Couple hundred rounds through it with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mtnmanmike:
I'm running the Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel in my stock 40c with no problems of any kind. Couple hundred rounds through it with no issues.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ARJJ:
That's the kicker––I already have half a dozen .40 mags, and M&P mags aren't exactly inexpensive. I think I'll look around on the EE.
View Quote

I can't really quote on the S&W magazines, however years ago I discovered that 9mm and .40 would interchange in Beretta 92 and 96 mags without any issues. That said, I'd at least try loading and function checking the .40 mags with 9mm before spending the extra money (unless of course you want it that way)
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By zegermanznew:

I came here to ask the same thing. Reading on the S&WForums.com it would appear so, but Id like to hear from someone who has. .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zegermanznew:
Originally Posted By Arkhilhra:
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find it via searching.  Does anyone know whether the Shield is able to be barrel swapped like this?

I came here to ask the same thing. Reading on the S&WForums.com it would appear so, but Id like to hear from someone who has. .

Originally Posted By chasinspottails:
Tag since I just bought a Shield in 40 and would also like to hear if anyone has done the swap yet

Can anybody confirm if this works for the shield?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I know this post is getting old, but it may be too good to die. There is a lot of experience here with the conversion of the .40 M&P guns to shoot 9mm with a barrel swap. My questions are,

(1)Can I use the new style smith and wesson factory 9mm barrel as sold on ebay and midway to convert a older 2006 full size, Smith&Wesson M&P 40 gun to shoot 9mm successfully?
(2)After the many years of doing this, do you guys recommend the storm lake 40 to 9mm conversion barrel over the factory 9mm barrels? If so, why?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#21]

bump

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By aceduece:

I know this post is getting old, but it may be too good to die. There is a lot of experience here with the conversion of the .40 M&P guns to shoot 9mm with a barrel swap. My questions are,

(1)Can I use the new style smith and wesson factory 9mm barrel as sold on ebay and midway to convert a older 2006 full size, Smith&Wesson M&P 40 gun to shoot 9mm successfully?(2)After the many years of doing this, do you guys recommend the storm lake 40 to 9mm conversion barrel over the factory 9mm barrels? If so, why?

View Quote

I'm in the same boat and wanting to know the same thing before I pull the trigger. Also, I've seen slides cheap enough on ebay to nab and am wondering if between the stock 9mm slide and stock 9mm barrel if it would be worth it just to buy both and never lose an ounce of sleep over it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:33:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By memyselfandi:

I'm in the same boat and wanting to know the same thing before I pull the trigger. Also, I've seen slides cheap enough on ebay to nab and am wondering if between the stock 9mm slide and stock 9mm barrel if it would be worth it just to buy both and never lose an ounce of sleep over it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By memyselfandi:
Originally Posted By aceduece:

(1)Can I use the new style smith and wesson factory 9mm barrel as sold on ebay and midway to convert a older 2006 full size, Smith&Wesson M&P 40 gun to shoot 9mm successfully?(2)After the many years of doing this, do you guys recommend the storm lake 40 to 9mm conversion barrel over the factory 9mm barrels? If so, why?

I've got both 40 and 9mm guns and have tried a drop in 9mm conversion barrel as well as interchanging the older style contour barrels with the newer production style.  Long story short, the only difference in the M&P 40 and 9mm full size is the slide mass and the breech face/barrel hood width.  The extractor, ejector and recoil springs are the same.  The ejector is different between the key lock and thumb safety style frames, but the same between calibers for each style frame.

If you run either a 9mm factory barrel or a conversion barrel in a 40 slide, reliability may suffer with 115 grain loads due to increased slide mass, not necessarily the barrel.  The weaker 9mm round has a more difficult time moving the heavier 40 slide.  The 9mm factory barrel hood will be more narrow than the 40 and might wiggle side-to-side more, but the barrel diameter, hood length and locking block design will provide adequate lockup for recreational shooting with no safety concerns.  A conversion barrel only tightens the barrel to slide fit very slightly during lockup by adding a wider barrel hood.  The drop in conversion barrel does not intentionally change any other dimension of lockup.  The only other difference in the factory 9mm and 40 barrels is the length of the feed ramps.  This difference is only to accommodate the different diameter rounds and does not affect mechanical function with other parts.  I have a factory 357 barrel too and I believe it may have yet another difference in the feed ramp.

Of course, if you can get the 9mm slide, no parts in the frame require changing.  That is the way to go for the best chance of reliability due to proper slide mass and a proper width breech to secure and guide the case of the 9mm round.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Full size M&P 40 gun. I bought the Storm Lake 9mm and .357Sig conversion barrels. They both lock up tight and function 100%. I use 9mm magazines with the 9mm barrel/ammo and the .40 magazines with the .357Sig barrel/ammo. The Storm Lake conversion barrels are drop in and fit the hood of my .40 guns perfectly. I think this is the best way to go  vs using the 9mm factory barrel and getting more play in the hood area. The conversion barrels takes care of the sloppy lockup in the breach face area. The Storm lake barrels also give you better case support and are a match grade barrel.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone tried the new Apex barrels for Full Size and Pro models in the 40 slides? I think right now all they have is 9mm but there is a gunsmith fit model that might be just the ticket.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Just ordered a 9mm threaded barrel for my .40 VTAC.
Thanks for this thread Dog!
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top