Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Where the 'loaded chamber indicator' is located on the slides, it is smaller on the 9 then compared to the 40.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I see, I do not really have an interest in shooting 40 S&W or 357 sig anyway.  The 3 in one thing is kind of alluring, but I would probably only shoot 9mm anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:
I see, I do not really have an interest in shooting 40 S&W or 357 sig anyway.  The 3 in one thing is kind of alluring, but I would probably only shoot 9mm anyway.

Yeah years ago I decided I wanted to do this and bought some 9mm 17rd mags when a online store had them on sale for $15 each. (now I wish Id bought at least double)  And I got a threaded barrel in the EE that was new.  

I have been holding onto them for about 2 years and just got a M&P .40.  

I doubt I'll ever shoot the .40 due to the ammo cost, but I just wanted the option.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Well shit! I was all excited after seeing the dimensions!!! I was just thinking to myself that I kinda wish my M&P9 was in .40....Guess I should trade someone for a .40, then get a 9mm barrel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi everybody, There have been several claims that said you can’t put a 40 barrel in a 9mm slide but nobody really explained exactly why, especially for those of us who are willing to take some material off a stock 40 barrel.  I read one post that said that the 40 slide was heavier.   Another said that the tabs of the frame were somehow different.  Popular on this thread is that the barrel won’t fit.  The first two claims are entirely false and the third is only partially true.  You can actually very easily fit a stock 40 barrel to a 9mm slide, it would take about 5 minutes to use a dremel to shave .012 of an inch off each side of the hood of the barrel where the loaded chamber indicator is.  Do that and I am fairly certain that a 40 barrel would fit in a 9mm slide.  The real reason you can’t shoot 40s out of a 9mm slide is because the rim of the 40 shell will not fit in the groove of the 9mm slide (the flat surface where the firing pin protrudes).  Seems kind of obvious and maybe some of you already knew this but I never saw it said and had to figure it out for myself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone have a source where the 9mm compact barrels are in stock?
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Marine Corps Exchange at Camp Pendleton, but yah gotta buy the rest of the gun around it.  The only pistols they had in stock today were M&P Compacts in 9mm and 40 cal.  They said they were surprised when they came in.  I know they're down by one .40 today.   Plus Smith has the $50 rebate for Military and LEO still running for a while.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I asked the s&w armorer school instructor about this a few months ago. He claimed that the difference in diameter of the rims would most likley cause failure to extract. He did say that the 40 and 357 should work. A friend of mine is planning on picking up a 40 along with a 9mm and a 357 barrel. If he ever takes the plunge that is.

Ive ordered the m&p .45, because I love AMERICA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I was able to purchase 5 mags and a 9mm barrel from a friend dirt cheap so I figured it would be great to make this change to get my girls shooting it too. I was incredibly excited since he said he only ever used 2 of them slightly and the rest he has just run a couple test shots through to make sure they worked so they were practically all new.

In my excitement I still decided that the first step was to Call S&W directly. So I called Smith and Wesson directly on the phone a couple weeks ago.

When I was on the phone my question was simple. "what exactly is physically different between the two guns other than the barrel and mags?" The tech immediately told me that there were a lot of minor differences inside with the mechanisms and trigger. He Strongly advised me NOT to do the swap and that if I did I would immediately void my lifetime warranty on the pistol. He was quick to stop me as he knew exactly where I was headed and said that S&W is strong on the DON'T mess with your gun in this was policy. I was then passed onto another person on the phone who was just taking the call also to "strongly advise me against" this swap.

It's a tough call since there are many of you guys here and all of the net that say otherwise but still, I am hesitant to do that since I am the original owners so having that warranty is nice. I don't mind shooting the .40 and ammo has been slowly coming back around here in my local stores.

At this point I personally think I'm just going to keep them for some sort of extreme emergency or trade the 5 mags and Barrel for another pistol with their value being gold right now.

I wonder has anyone here ran a large amount of rounds through it this way yet?
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a lot of faith in the knowledge and experience of Dog1 and TacticalCoyote, so after discovering this thread two days ago a M&P40 popped up on Buds Police Supply;  I'd been planning a second FS 9mm before but had also been wanting to try a 40 so I decided "What the heck, let's give it a try"

The prior poster said S&W said this will not work and their are differences, but if you go back three pages another poster said the replacement part numbers for 9mm and 40 are the same.

I've already got a factory threaded barrel I've had for three years so I'll drop that in and give y'all a report.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 8:35:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miridius] [#12]
I was not stating that it would not work. I was mentioning that in my phone conversation with  S&W, they were very clear to advise against it. They said that it could cause the gun to have a catastrophic failure and that if that were the case we would be SOL since they would not warrant the pistol.

I see many people, not only on here doing it. I just wonder if anyone has really knowledge of all the small working parts and if they are all the same or not. But more so, I wanted to know how many rounds different people have put through their swap.

I hate the idea that I shouldn't do it since I was very fortunate to acquire mags and the barrel. Just worried now.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Miridius:
I was not stating that it would not work. I was mentioning that in my phone conversation with  S&W, they were very clear to advise against it. They said that it could cause the gun to have a catastrophic failure and that if that were the case we would be SOL since they would not warrant the pistol.

I see many people, not only on here doing it. I just wonder if anyone has really knowledge of all the small working parts and if they are all the same or not. But more so, I wanted to know how many rounds different people have put through their swap.

I hate the idea that I shouldn't do it since I was very fortunate to acquire mags and the barrel. Just worried now.

Didn't mean to imply disagreement; I appreciate what you're saying and your checking with S&W.

My gut tells me they're stating the legal answer.   Switch barrels at your own risk seems to be a reasonable thought.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had a 9 mm  MP 9 barrel on order since Dec with S&W (cost was $90 shipped), well it just shipped
today and with  2ea  9 mm 17rd mags. I have a MP 40 with the extra Sig 357 barrel and a ported 9 MM Storm lake
barrel (got the SL barrel from Midway in Jan $140).
with 4 barrels and 6 ea 40sw/sig 357 mags and 2 9mm mags it looks like my S&W has come together as a kit gun.
this is the 4 kit pistol in my collection. Sig 229 9mm fire dragon,sig 357/40 s&w/22 sig kit,Berretta 96 40s&w,9 mm barrel and 22 Berreta kit
Glock 23 3 gen,40 s&w,357 sig,LW 9 mm, 22 Advantage arms kit.
I have not had an extraction problem with any of the pistols in 9 MM or ftfs.
these are great SHTF pistols that can use different ammo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#16]
My 9mm barrel shipped today from Midway, $77 shipped... a month old backorder
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine too. I ordered back in Feb.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got my barrel from s&w. How can you tell the difference in a new production barrel and the old ones?
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PreachermanMATT:
My 9mm barrel shipped today from Midway, $77 shipped... a month old backorder

Mine came in Yesterday - December 10th order.  

Unfortunatley................. I didn't order the mags at the same time.  I felt Midway's price was a bit high.
What a difference a couple of days can make.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 8:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipCheck] [#23]
I bought an M&P .40C a couple of months ago, did all the Apex trigger work soon after and thoroughly enjoy this pistol.

I bought a 9mm barrel to try it out, but haven't been able to find any magazines without being raped on price.

Today, I picked up a .357 Sig barrel for it and some .40 & .357 Sig ammo at a small shop.

Decided to take one of my boys to the range for lunch, he's 13 and his first time shooting. He handled the .40 very well, hitting an 8" iron target at 25 feet, on his first shot. Hit a few of the 5" ones as well.

I showed him how to swap the barrel over to .357 and we shot some more. Had a blast with him.

Pistol cycles flawlessly. I'll be trying the 9 swap when I can get a couple magazines.

My boy today:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/attachments/general-discussion/64636d1367002377-took-one-my-boys-out-shooting-today-bruin_range.jpg

The grin on his face was priceless.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 11:14:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Biggus_Dickus] [#24]
Saw Midway had the 9mm barrels in stock last night and went ahead and pulled the trigger. At some point, mags either have to become available and affordable again, or I'm just going to have to bight the bullet for a few.

Edit: Got my barrel from Midway. Fits my M&P like it was fit for it at the factory. Picked up a couple of 9mm mags off the EE. Once they get here, I'll give her a go.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got 3 9c guns, and a 40c.  I may have to play with them to mix-n-match.

If I wanted a threaded barrel for a 9c for a suppressor, would I order the full-size barrel and have it threaded (or buy a threaded full-size barrel)?  I'm curious if threaded compact barrel = same OAL as full-size uncut barrel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread has a serious lack of longslides.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find it via searching.  Does anyone know whether the Shield is able to be barrel swapped like this?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Arkhilhra:
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find it via searching.  Does anyone know whether the Shield is able to be barrel swapped like this?

I came here to ask the same thing. Reading on the S&WForums.com it would appear so, but Id like to hear from someone who has. .
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks to this thread I bought a used barrel in the EE and a couple used 9mm mags for my M&P 40.  I put about 120 rounds of 9mm through it this weekend.  It failed to feed the last round in the mag once, but had no other problems.  The recoil difference was pretty noticeable.  My wife does not like shooting 40.  I need to get her to shoot it with 9mm and if she likes it I'll pick another one up for her.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag since I just bought a Shield in 40 and would also like to hear if anyone has done the swap yet
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally ran 9mm through my 40 Cal frame.

I can report 100% function both suppressed and unsuppressed.

So far....
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had problems with failure to eject and the gun feeding a new round on the spent case when using 9mm mags and 9mm barrel in my 40. Anyone else experienced this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Well my 9mm barrel just came in and though I had no 9mm mags, I tried it out with the 40 mags. 2 mags were all I had. One mag was a little tighter lip gapped than the other and was apparent based on the angle the 9mm rounds protruded once loaded. Both mags functioned but I did have 2 occasions where a live round popped out of the mag and stove piped (this was the looser mag lipped mag). The other did not do this but locked back once prior to the last round being chambered. Both locked the slide back. I can't find 9mm mags but will try the lip adjustment I saw on Brian Enos tutorial.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 1:05:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: michael256] [#34]
Do the conversion barrels for the Pro at Storm Lake work for the Core Pro? I bought the 4.25" .40 CORE and it hasn't even made it here yet but when I went in Walmart and saw 9mm for the second time in a row at $22/100rds I instantly started to wish I had held out for a 9mm version

I apologize if this has been asked before but the thread is so long it'd be hard to read it all
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Awesome, thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:

Don't forget to pick up a few mags. I have the full size M&P 9 and the mags work fine. They just stick out a bit. I did pick up a few 9c mags from 44mag.com. One with the finger rest and one without. They had them the least expensive, but stock was low.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARJJ:
Awesome, Dog1!

Looks like I can be shooting 9mm for about $80.

Don't forget to pick up a few mags. I have the full size M&P 9 and the mags work fine. They just stick out a bit. I did pick up a few 9c mags from 44mag.com. One with the finger rest and one without. They had them the least expensive, but stock was low.

The 9mm magazines protrude from the bottom of the .40?
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Psychovore:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARJJ:
Awesome, Dog1!

Looks like I can be shooting 9mm for about $80.

Nope.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, I just got done reading the entire thread.  I'm torn on whether to get a .40 or not.  I already got rid of everything .40 once in my life, and if there were ever a true "SHTF" situation that required something like this, then everything would have already gone so completely to Hell that I would be exercising other options.

Then again, I was at the grocery store last night and saw that they have the M&P 40 on sale...
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, I just got done reading the entire thread.  I'm torn on whether to get a .40 or not.  I already got rid of everything .40 once in my life, and if there were ever a true "SHTF" situation that required something like this, then everything would have already gone so completely to Hell that I would be exercising other options.

Then again, I was at the grocery store last night and saw that they have the M&P 40 on sale...
View Quote

3 calibers in one gun, might as well It's exactly what I did. Now if Buds will just get the d*** gun here. Ordered a week ago with no movement. The 9mm mags that I ordered yesterday are going to beat it here
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Wait, what?

Honey, pick up a dozen eggs, some milk and a 1911.
Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mister-Z:

Wait, what?

Thanks.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mister-Z:

Wait, what?

Thanks.

That's pretty much how it goes.  They also sell alcohol and tobacco.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:52:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lostman518] [#43]
Just ran mine through 2000+ rounds in a 3 day handgun class. Ran like a top and it was one of the more accurate guns in the class.

ETA: I had a few double-feeds that I thought were ammo related but after more shooting it seems I have a weak extractor. I'm close to 10k rounds through the gun .

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Psychovore] [#44]
Do the proper conversion barrels (Storm Lake or whatever brand they are) have a better fit than the regular 9mm barrels just being dropped in?
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Do the proper conversion barrels (Storm Lake or whatever brand they are) have a better fit than the regular 9mm barrels just being dropped in?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By evolution88:
Finally ran 9mm through my 40 Cal frame.

I can report 100% function both suppressed and unsuppressed.

So far....
View Quote

Let's bring this back to life!!!

Is the 9mm still going good no problems?

Did you do any of the APEX upgrades, or stock?

I think it was over on M&P-pistol forum, someone had some issues with 100% reliability on extraction shooting 9mm in the 40 frame, they then did the APEX extractor and problem solved. Anyone have more info on this?

I am still looking for my CORE, found a .40 but it was $750.00 and King County sales tax of 9.4ish%   that was too much for me to pay.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Chitrod:
I've had problems with failure to eject and the gun feeding a new round on the spent case when using 9mm mags and 9mm barrel in my 40. Anyone else experienced this?
View Quote

I just saw this after I posted, read my post above this one, it may help you.

I did the APEX trigger upgrades on my M&P compact 9mm and full size .45, they make good stuff, maybe their extractor could help you?
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Is this .40 to 9mm mod (specifically on a compact) 100% reliable? Not 100% in one range session, but 1000+ rounds. What is the failure rate? I am contemplating getting a .40 M&Pc instead of a 9mm just so I have .40 CAPABILITY. (ammo shortage, SHTF and all)- it would be carried with 9mm daily.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:43:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JimGA] [#49]
Just put 200 rounds through my new 9mm stock S&W M&P barrel in the .40 frame, and it ran flawlessly.  Accurate, and no failures to feed nor eject.  All brass ejected properly and with authority to the side, with none coming back towards my face or head.  Everything is stock .40 M&P full size except for the barrel (currently).

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Any issues on the compact guns?  I've got a 40C, I'd like to pick up a 9mm barrel for it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top