Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2017 12:37:07 AM EDT
Just thought I'd share my two cents on the APX. I've got to say, I didn't give it a second thought after it came out just due to looks alone. I think it is the butt ugliest firearm since the Hi-Point. Fast forward to today, when I went to the LGS today to play with the Sig P320 X-Five, FN 509, and M&P 2.0. After playing with both for a while, I saw the APX sitting in the case and said what the hell, let me see that one too.

Wow. Even with sort of a negative attitude about it from the start, this Beretta just felt amazing in my hands from the moment I picked it up. The fugly ass slide milling is extremely functional, and the slide manipulated easily and smoothly like a well broken in Glock. The grip texture is just right, and it is crazy ergonomic feeling... it felt as if it was holding my hand rather than the other way around. It pointed extremely naturally, and the trigger really felt great to me. The only real gripe I had was how big it is. It's a little taller than a G17 and definitely a good amount wider.

Just goes to show that looks can be deceiving. I'm probably going to go back and buy one. I don't need for a full size pistol like that, but if it shoots as good as it feels, it's gotta be a winner.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If I'd bought something the other day, it would have been hard to decide between the APX and the P10c.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I'd bought something the other day, it would have been hard to decide between the APX and the P10c.
View Quote
I will buy an APX once they release a compact model. The CZ P10c will likely be my first CZ. I have never cared for CZs. Not wrong with them I just felt meh towards them. The P10c has changed that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the APX.  The slide is the whole reason I bought the gun.  When I held it, the grip angle felt great and was natural.  The magazines spit out fast when you hit the mag release button. And I actually really like the trigger reset on it.

I'm glad I bought it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really like the APX.  The slide is the whole reason I bought the gun.  When I held it, the grip angle felt great and was natural.  The magazines spit out fast when you hit the mag release button. And I actually really like the trigger reset on it.

I'm glad I bought it.
View Quote
I feel the same way after handling it in person. It's just an awesome feeling, awesome handling pistol. Beretta did a great job other than the overall dimensions which seem a bit bloated, and the aesthetics which are subjective.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a hammer fired guy but this apx has been the bees knees since I got it. I have been a beretta and CZ guy for years and the apx blows the p10c out of the water in my opinion.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Beretta deserves credit for their trigger selection on this gun.

That trigger shoe is just phenomenal.

I think the reset is a little long, but it is otherwise a very very nice stock trigger set-up
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it more than the P320 I've handled.  Still waiting on the P10c and FN509 to appear before deciding.  My one big concern is how that firing pin block works, with it rising out of the action when you pull the trigger.  The absurd concern I have is that someone could grab it there and prevent it from firing which is highly unlikely to happen, but the realistic concern is how red dot mounting will work as one of my requirements is red dot mounting provisions and I don't see how you can mount one without interfering with that.  Seems like you'd have to mount it further forward than most other guns.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like it more than the P320 I've handled.  Still waiting on the P10c and FN509 to appear before deciding.  My one big concern is how that firing pin block works, with it rising out of the action when you pull the trigger.  The absurd concern I have is that someone could grab it there and prevent it from firing which is highly unlikely to happen, but the realistic concern is how red dot mounting will work as one of my requirements is red dot mounting provisions and I don't see how you can mount one without interfering with that.  Seems like you'd have to mount it further forward than most other guns.
View Quote
Beretta's have used this method of operation for a firing pin block since the 92 series started.. Probably before then. I am unaware of anyone stopping a Beretta from firing by holding down the firing pin block in a fight. Not saying it couldn't happen but likelihood of it happening is next to zero IMO. As for the RMR mount, I am confident that someone will engineer a solution. Where there is a will there is a way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
To each their own but I handled the APX side-by-side with the 509 and the Beretta had a significantly better feel, pointed more naturally and had a superior trigger and magazine release. I also found the slide easier to manipulate on the Beretta. It was no contest in terms of ergonomics and feel alone. I'm sure the 509 is a fine firearm, but the APX made it feel quite unremarkable.

I don't own an APX and probably never will with both a P10C and a P320 X-Carry on order already, but looks are certainly deceiving in the case of these Berettas and I keep hoping one of my buddies will buy one to put through the paces so I can see how it performs. It really is an interesting piece.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]
If I was in the market for a Duty carry size gun....the APX would be really really tough to beat.

I was incredibly impressed in my first encounter with the gun

There are people that think that the slide is ugly.  Fine...that's a taste thing.  But I challenge you to go work one.  Those serrations actually work very very well.  And for a Duty gun....that's a big F'n deal
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I was in the market for a Duty carry size gun....the APX would be really really tough to beat.

I was incredibly impressed in my first encounter with the gun

There are people that think that the slide is ugly.  Fine...that's a taste thing.  But I challenge you to go work one.  Those serrations actually work very very well.  And for a Duty gun....that's a big F'n deal
View Quote
That was basically the entire point of this thread. I was utterly uninterested in this pistol until I actually played with it for an hour or so on a whim, and it really felt exceptional in several regards. I'm with you... If I had any use for a pistol this size, I would have already added it to the collection on the spot.

It's also remarkably inexpensive!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Love the apx the more I use it.  The slide serrations, trigger reset and grip.  Love it.  Great value
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been interested in the APX since they were first announced.  Last week while on a .mil teaching contract I as able to finally get my hands on one.  Trigger felt great, the slide serrations were phenomenal, and everything just seemed to click with it.  Once I get a chance to do some live fire work with one will be the moment when I finally decide to whether to buy one or not.

So far I'm liking what I see
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Does the APX take regular 92 mags ?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
No. Mags are specific to it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wish it did. It would be the perfect pistol if it did. I have like 30 mags for the 92
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Even if you have a ton of 92 mags, the APX mags are cheap. That's another thing I like about it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Even if you have a ton of 92 mags, the APX mags are cheap. That's another thing I like about it.
View Quote
I saw on MGW they had extended 20rnd mags for the APX now. I think they were $30ish.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I saw on MGW they had extended 20rnd mags for the APX now. I think they were $30ish.
View Quote
You can order 2x 21 round APX magazines from Beretta for $65 or two 17rd mags with either black or red followers for $52 each, and they're all in stock. That is extremely fair pricing, especially manufacturer direct.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#20]
They are indeed ugly at first glance. But most people also thought the Glock was incredibly ugly too for the first decade or so it was around. The perception of looks can change over time and with exposure. Besides, looks alone should not be a serious consideration for a fighting pistol. Reliability, durability, accuracy and ergonomics should be the priorities. In those regards, it appears the Beretta APX scores very high in 3 of those 4 categories. We won't know for sure how durable they are until they've been around a while, but I don't really have any concerns considering Beretta's history.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They are indeed ugly at first glance. But most people also thought the Glock was incredibly ugly too for the first decade or so it was around. The perception of looks can change over time and with exposure. Besides, looks alone should not be a serious consideration for a fighting pistol. Reliability, durability, accuracy and ergonomics should be the priorities. In those regards, it appears the Beretta APX scores very high in 3 of those 4 categories. We won't know for sure how durable they are until they've been around a while, but I don't really have any concerns considering Beretta's history.
View Quote
All true.

My local dealer has a black one with two mags for $459. I'm tempted to jump on it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#22]
That's the cheapest I've seen. There are some out there that come with 3 mags for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's the cheapest I've seen. There are some out there that come with 3 mags for some reason.
View Quote
Apparently that was part of the deal for early adopters and LE customers. The first batches shipped with a 3rd mag for free.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll probably pick one up if they release a threaded barrel model.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it's fugly, but very comfortable. Shame about the garbage trigger though
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think it's fugly, but very comfortable. Shame about the garbage trigger though
View Quote
better then any other striker trigger out there. It's just wide witch is weird but still good
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dry fire it a billion times, it breaks in quite well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
The trigger on mine is great.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I handled the APX today for the first time as well.  I thought the trigger was pretty darn nice.  Like the OP, I was turned off by the looks of the thing.  I kept going shopping and passed on it every time.  Today though, I decided I'd check it out.  It felt amazing in the hand.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I know most folks may think it's ugly, but it is a purpose built pistol.  There is nothing on it that was designed for looks only.  Every part of it is easily manipulated and functions well.   The only hesitation I had about it at first was it being a full sized duty pistol.  I prefer compact models typically, but the APX won me over.  It isn't a lot bigger than the P320's I have been carrying.  

Of course nothing beats a 19 size wise, but the APX when measured from where the web of the hand and trigger finger sit on the APX, it is almost the same distance on the 320 and G19.  The added length on the APX slide is on the rear portion that sits over the hand.  Yes the grip is longer than the G19, and slightly more than the 320, but carrying it concealed has not been an issue.  

Trigger wise, there are better out there, but there a lot worse too.  It breaks in nicely, and I actually like its characteristics quite a bit.  Very short take up, clean break, and no over travel.  There is a slight sponginess to the trigger, but I don't find it an issue at all.  Some people with not be bothered by it and some will.  If you are a trigger snob, it will probably turn you off.  If you want a good reliable, repeatable trigger pull, then the APX will suit you just fine.   It's a very easy trigger to run at speed and score clean hits.  

The APX is a winner in by book.  Just because of it's looks, it will likely take a bit longer to gain traction.  The more folks that handle it, the more people will likely be impressed with it.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I had zero interest when I first saw it and dismissed it as a Space Glock.

After actually playing with one recently, I'm revising my opinion... might actually buy one in future. It feels surprisingly good in the hand.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone feel the sights are to big and to far apart? I can shot my 92's with great accuracy but I can't with my apx. The dots are huge and there is a bigger gap between the three dots
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone feel the sights are to big and to far apart? I can shot my 92's with great accuracy but I can't with my apx. The dots are huge and there is a bigger gap between the three dots
View Quote
Yes the sights aren't the best, other than they are at least steel.  You could drive a truck through the rear notch.  They work fine for up close and personal work, but when you start reaching out, the wide front sight pretty much covers everything up.   I will be replacing them with Ameriglo as soon as they release the version I want.  

I do like the APX quite a bit though, so much that I am willing to put up with the factory sights, until some good ones come out.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm waiting for the market to bring more sight options out, I'm not great with the factory apx sights at all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#35]
They did have night sights on the beretta site, I didn't get them so not sure how they compare to the default sights.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone heard more about the rumored compact model?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard more about the rumored compact model?
View Quote
Yes there is a compact planned, no release date or other info for it at this time.  I am keep a close watch on it though.

FYI Trijicon just released the HD sights for it.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#39]
I just shot my new APX this weekend and it was awesome. I would agree that the sights and trigger take some getting used to, but overall it is awesome. I'm still not very happy that Beretta doesn't have plans to manufacture some of the optional items stated in the manual (frame safety) due to them not winning the MHS contract, but overall I'm happy with the purchase.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I just put one on layaway, Cant wait to get it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#41]
So far, I've bought two of them, and sold a couple more by word of mouth.  I initially describe it to people as "the ugliest pistol you'll ever love"  The triggers are breaking in quite well (one standard, one green spring) and with an APLc it's pretty much the perfect modern pistol.

Can't wait for a compact and hopefully a .45.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Looks great with the fde light on there
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Was killing time at the Beretta Gallery while the wife and in laws were shopping and handled an APX today. I thought the VP9 felt good in my hands, but the APX was something. I'm not sure if I've held a polymer pistol that felt that natural....if they ever come out with a compact version, I don't know if I'll be able to resist the temptation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Compact is coming first quarter 2018
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Compact is coming first quarter 2018
View Quote
why? Its compact enough. its my Everyday carry IWB at 4 oclock with shorts and Tshirt
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I handled one for the first time today and it was amazing feeling in my hand.  I may have to pick one up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I've handled one and was very impressed but waiting for a compact (Glock 19 sized) version that's said to be coming out early next year.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#50]
I am ordering one blind. Coming from metal CZ type pistols and getting tired of my hands not getting purchase on the slide when matches get sweaty or rainy (yeah, gloves, but not all the time, and I have grip tape on that and a G19), going all-out on something you can get a grip should be a nice change. If it feels half as good in the hand as my friend's PX4 that'll be that for the next 50,000 rounds. Free holster and extra mags seal that deal.

I would be super happy if they came out with mag adapter for the CX4 next.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top