Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2017 10:50:55 PM EDT
what kind of wear are you guys noticing on the m9a3. I have mine in a kydex holster and notice that the wear/coating coming off is quite rapid around the front of the slide.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have mine in the Safariland 3084 because I had a few light/laser setups I wanted to try and didn't want to buy a light specific holster. I'm experiencing the exact same thing as you; no matter how loose/tight I have it set up, the holster seems to rub the pistol on the front of the slide on both sides as well as right above the front end above the rails and has worn the finish off.

The M9A3 is my only cerakoted pistol so I'm not sure if this would happen in any other holster that didn't have the suede lining like some of the Safarilands have (the 3084 does not). I've practiced with it alot with at home dry fire/draws and have about 5k rounds through it already so its taken a good amount of finish off. The only benefit I can see (not really a benefit) is it does give it the, 'I use this shit' look.

At this point, its just cosmetic and I've just learned to deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
just ordered a leather holster from craft holsters.
$100 ish. hopefully it works as nice as it looks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got mine in a M9 SERPA holster. It rubs the shit out of the front of the left side of the slide. Mine is about down to bare metal in a small spot. Only had it out 3 or 4 times in that holster so far and it's annoying that it's wearing like that. I don't mind as its a gun to use not to just look at. However my question is why didn't they anodize the slide instead of cerakote? Or is it a metallurgy question with the material of the slide? Either way the gun shoots like dream.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The sued lining isn't going to help much. Same goes with leather too. Cerakote is a pretty good finish but it has it's limits. Really I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe every year or two have the slide refinished. Most places do slides for $50-$60. Cerakote will wear, it is the nature of the finish. I prefer the cerakote finish over that cheap painted on finish they put on the M9. The front of my M9 has chips and dents in the finish around the front of the slide from going into a holster.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got mine in a M9 SERPA holster. It rubs the shit out of the front of the left side of the slide. Mine is about down to bare metal in a small spot. Only had it out 3 or 4 times in that holster so far and it's annoying that it's wearing like that. I don't mind as its a gun to use not to just look at. However my question is why didn't they anodize the slide instead of cerakote? Or is it a metallurgy question with the material of the slide? Either way the gun shoots like dream.
View Quote
The M9 SERPA you're using, is it the drop leg one that is marked for M9/M9A1, or the regular SERPA CQC/Sportster SERPA that is marked for M9/92FS? The reason I ask is that I didn't know if there were currently any SERPA holsters other than the drop leg one that would fit an M9A3 or M9A1 that have the rail.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not a metallurgist, but I'm not certain if anodizing can be done on steel(slide). Usually when i think of it, I think of aluminum, like the frame.

But there are better options than paint/cerakote.

When CZ made some guns they though about entering into the MHS competition. They had FDE/sand colored, polymer frames. And the steel slides were nitrided first(think Glock,etc essentially) and the the used an ion-bonded coating treatment for the tan color slide. I don't carry the 2 rare (barely over hundred total imported) ones I own. But I'm sure it's more durable than the tan paint on the M9A3. Heck, Berettas black bruniton paint. Is more durable.

My 2 CZ MHS guns

I love my 2 M9A3s.. One is an occasional carry gun. The expediated wear doesn't bother me. But it is unusual to see it go so quick.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not a metallurgist, but I'm not certain if anodizing can be done on steel(slide). Usually when i think of it, I think of aluminum, like the frame.

But there are better options than paint/cerakote.

When CZ made some guns they though about entering into the MHS competition. They had FDE/sand colored, polymer frames. And the steel slides were nitrided first(think Glock,etc essentially) and the the used an ion-bonded coating treatment for the tan color slide. I don't carry the 2 rare (barely over hundred total imported) ones I own. But I'm sure it's more durable than the tan paint on the M9A3. Heck, Berettas black bruniton paint. Is more durable.

My 2 CZ MHS guns

I love my 2 M9A3s.. One is an occasional carry gun. The expediated wear doesn't bother me. But it is unusual to see it go so quick.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Full FDE Glock 22 once.  Those are the ones with a tan frame, and a factory cerakoted tan slide.  That slide after only a few trips to the ranch looked like my G21 that I have carried for years and years.  Tons of holster wear.  Cerakote doesn't stand up to abrasion worth a crap. It hasn't on my ARs, not on an 870, not on a Glock slide, and not on a suppressor.

I had it re-coated and sold it.

That is undoubtedly what is happening on your Beretta.  Either get used to having it recoated every couple of years, or just enjoy the authentic well-used look and go on down the road.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The M9 SERPA you're using, is it the drop leg one that is marked for M9/M9A1, or the regular SERPA CQC/Sportster SERPA that is marked for M9/92FS? The reason I ask is that I didn't know if there were currently any SERPA holsters other than the drop leg one that would fit an M9A3 or M9A1 that have the rail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The one I am using is marked Beretta 92/96 and its part of the Improved Modular Tactical Holster kit the Army issues. Part number IMTH-CT-R. Coyote Tan- Right Handed. I'm guessing if I ran some fine grit sandpaper along the interior it may help a bit with the holster wear. Hers a pic of the setup.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Tyr Tactical Gunfighter Belt-E
Costa Ludas Leg Rig
HSGI Bleeder/Blowout Pouch w/M9 pistol pouch for a TQ
Blue Force gear Ultralight Dump Pouch
Busse Custom Knives Lil Smokey in custom sheath
Blackhawk Serpa holster w/ Paddle for Beretta 92/96

It's light, moveable, and most importantly comfortable to wear for an extended range session.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Slight side topic, how do you have your HSGI bleeder mounted to your belt? I haven't figured out a good way to mount mine. It either sits to low or two high.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Slight side topic, how do you have your HSGI bleeder mounted to your belt? I haven't figured out a good way to mount mine. It either sits to low or two high.
View Quote
I run it through the shears pouch horizontally. If you want to keep the shears there then you could slice the middle stiches out of the MOLLE backing and run it through there as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Jesus, I need to stop posting while on the pain meds, to and two, lol.

I never realized you could run it that way. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top