Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2016 3:34:35 PM EDT
The box makes it simple, big stamp on the front that tells you its UPGRADED, EASIER OPERATION

Any simple way to tell the difference between the two without the box?

ETA:

Well, this should do it
http://www.berettasupport.com/applications/php_pico/pico_serial_form.htm

Looks like old gen has/had free upgrade as an option. Dont know if its still available, but serial search seems like a simple enough indicator. Definitely easier than trying to measure trigger pull without tools

Id delete this thread, but since I cant, I figured Id at least leave this info here
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info.  What's the trigger pull down to?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Im not sure to be honest, I found this quote

"It was the heavier-than-normal trigger pull that first raised attention to the original Pico’s shortcomings. The original trigger pull was close to a 9-pound average, noticeably heavier than the average .380 and nearly 2 pounds more than some DAOs. The revisions to the trigger, which was comprised of lightening the hammer spring, made the new Pico slightly easier to shoot, but it has not significantly reduced trigger pull, which still has over an 8-pound average. Travel measures exactly 0.5 inches with zero overtravel and quick reset. This version definitely has a smoother trigger pull but it is still heavy compared to many other DAO .380s."

On this page,
http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2016/01/the-next-gen-beretta-pico/#beretta-pico-1-2

But Im not sure that information is reliable. I bought a Pico today, but I dont have a tool to measure or any significant experience with similar DAO guns to compare. The other Micro guns I have experience with are both SAO, and compared to those, this trigger sucks!

I actually really like the trigger though, by DAO standards. It can cause the gun to jerk a bit since I have so little grip in the back of my hand, but I think thats something that practice will fix. Outside of that its super smooth, with a nice little buildup at the end letting you know youve cut the slack and asking you to confirm the gun is pointed at something you want to make dead

One thing I wasnt expecting that suprised me, the slide serrations are deeper, longer and more conventional than the ones shown in basically every picture Ive ever seen on the internet. Id imagine its probably in part because of this, the slide is pretty easy to operate

I can definitely imagine how it would have been a pain to operate with the less pronounced serrations, and double recoil springs

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#3]

My Pico is back for repair, but it came in the box marked "Upgraded for easier operation" and the serial number check says I've got the enhancements.

Some of the pictures I've seen of the initial reviews from 2013 shows that the serrations in the slide on the gen one are half height on both sides.  My Pico has serrations that are half height on the extractor side, and full height on the other side.  Also, the serrations seem to be wider spaced on mine than in the early review models.

Also I noted that the "Beretta" letting is in a different spot on the newer model.

So far, those are the only visual differences I've noticed.

Edited: Have you shot it yet?  Mine failed in about 30 rounds.  The trigger stopped returning forward on it's own and then would no longer cock the hammer far enough to fire the gun.  I found the hammer link was coming off the pin at the trigger.  I could put it back on, but it would come off again in 3-5 pulls of the trigger.  Also, it was failing to feed the Winchester truncated cone FMJ loads.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah same slide serrations here, theyre really nice

Havent had a chance to shoot it yet, may be a couple weeks
I dont mind too much I guess, I still need to research carry ammo thats effective and cycles(in a Pico) so I can test it
...Im surprised it has issues with truncated cones though, hopefully it wont have issues with normal ball ammo

Im in a similar position to you though, I own a PX4 (full sized though) and adore it, so Im really hoping to make the Pico work

At this point, having done everything but shoot it Im a big fan, if I can find a good effective carry ammo that cycles reliably(and the gun doesnt fall apart lol) Ill be a very happy camper

On the subject of carry ammo, I have read Hornady Critical Defense cycled very reliably
But at least by this review http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/
For 380 ammo out of 2.8 inch barrel, that ammo had some of the worst performance in gel

:/
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck with yours, Beretta's website shows "Awaiting inspection" on mine.  I hope it works properly when I get it back, if not I'll probably trade it in on a Ruger LCP, I hate having to return guns to the factory multiple times. A lemon always seems to stay a lemon no matter how much it's worked on. But the Pico is so narrow I had to at least give it a shot.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah it was the narrowness and smoothness that sold me, I wanted a gun I would bring anywhere even in Florida's weather
And it has definitely delivered on that front so far

Ruger LCP was close second choice, and just after I bought my Pico I found out from the seller that Ruger just released the LCP II

and it looks glorious
http://ruger.com/products/lcpII/models.html

I dont want to give up the Pico, but if it doesnt work out I know how Ill get over it
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Might want to get a HiPoint carbine to go w/ it, only carbine I know of in .380".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top