Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2016 8:18:01 PM EDT
Got a very lightly used beretta 92a1 awhile back at the LGS and love the thing, but it won't shoot worth a dam. I've replaced the trigger return spring with a Wolff unit and WC short reach trigger w/ jb weld over travel stop and d spring so the trigger feels pretty good but I can't reliably hit a 12" steel plate beyond 15 yards. I've tried a few kinds of ammo, all 115 gr, and haven't noticed a difference. I'm not a very good pistol shot but I can hit a smaller plate reliably at 25 with my sig1911 and 226 and can do pretty well even with my sig 938. Not sure what is wrong with this thing, thinking new sights ( lots of space between front and rear in sight picture stock) or a bad barrel. Any body got any ideas?

P.S. I've shot army beretta's and done well with them
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone else has to try it

Cant be worse than army m9s.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
How does the barrels crown look? How about any irregularities in the rifling? have you tried a variety of loads, weights? Just a thought
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be just that particular gun. I had the same issue with Sig 226. For what ever reason I could
Just not shoot that gun, (no one else could either.) I traded it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Clean and Inspect the gun for anything broken, missing, or worn and pay close attention to the barrel crown. Next look at changing ammo brand and/or bullet weight. The M series is known for good to great accuracy so something is off. Even my work M9 is clapped the fuck out but I still have no problem shooting expert with it and the course of fire extends to 25 meters.

If none of the above helps, consider tightening the nut behind the trigger. I like to shoot a fist size group at 7, 10, and 15 yards before trying to go further. I use those 3 distances with 10 rounds at each distance to warm up and practice basic pistol marksmanship and found it helpful.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
It could very well be that there is an issue with the gun.  I did a google search and found this old arfcom thread

As far as you, the shooter, is concerned-

-Start off with a little dry fire before loading the gun and shooting.  Are you concentrating on your front sight?  Does it move at all during the trigger press?

-Shooting at steel really doesn't tell you a whole lot unless you hit or miss the steel.  You really need to hang a paper target and diagnose your hits.  Is it shooting low left, or directly right, etc.  For instance, if the groups are consistently low then you probably have an issue with flinching/anticipation or allowing the curve of the trigger to push the gun low.

-If the hits are scattered all over then the issue could very well be something with the gun.

-The Beretta grip is fairly wide.  Make sure the only part of your trigger finger that is contacting the gun is on the trigger.  You may have to adjust your grip or finger placement on the trigger to keep your trigger finger from rubbing the frame which would cause you to push shots left.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
On ammo: I have tried different brands but not different weights, 115 is all I've been able to find

Dry-firing: I do that ALOT. Can't afford to shoot too much so I dry fire quite a bit

The trigger finger no contact I don't think I've ever heard, I'll check and adjust and see if any improvement

On tightening the nut: definitely need to do that! But still with what I can do with my other pistols something seems weird with this one

And on maintenance: I'll do a really thorough check, haven't noticed anything but this thing Is fairly new, less than three years, and hasn't been shot much. The first owner ran it dry so it kept malfunctioning on him so he traded it in two months after he bought it. Then I bought it and probably has less than 300 rounds through it since. Thinking on that maybe the other guy running it dry wore something wrong, hmmm.......  now I really think I need a fine tooth comb
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dry-firing: I do that ALOT. Can't afford to shoot too much so I dry fire quite a bit

View Quote

Sounds like it's time to sell a pistol and spend the money on ammo.  Better to be ultra proficient with one pistol than master of none.

How many rounds do you shoot a month?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]
It' seems you';ve done pretty good in the past with other 92's.

I'd try some 124gr ammo first off if you can.

Second:
Are you using sight picture 3?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On ammo: I have tried different brands but not different weights, 115 is all I've been able to find

The trigger finger no contact I don't think I've ever heard, I'll check and adjust and see if any improvement

On tightening the nut: definitely need to do that! But still with what I can do with my other pistols something seems weird with this one

And on maintenance: I'll do a really thorough check, haven't noticed anything but this thing Is fairly new, less than three years, and hasn't been shot much. The first owner ran it dry so it kept malfunctioning on him so he traded it in two months after he bought it. Then I bought it and probably has less than 300 rounds through it since. Thinking on that maybe the other guy running it dry wore something wrong, hmmm.......  now I really think I need a fine tooth comb
View Quote

Order some 124gr from GA Arms. UPS brings it right to your door.

How much oil do YOU have on it? Personally, I make mine wringing wet before I shoot & let it sling off the excess. But I doubt this is your accuracy issue.

Did the previous owner shoot lead bullets? Is there leading in the barrel bore? Scrub the shit out of the bore & as others mention, check the muzzle for any chips.

On my 92's, they all shoot high with 115gr but still deliver nice groups. I get POA/POI with 124gr, so I use that. I would also have someone else shoot the gun, maybe several someones?

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Different guns shoot wildly different with different ammos. My 92FS is pathetic with cheap 115gr but is EXTREMELY accurate with 124gr Hornady XTP.

Try some nice ammo (Hornady 124gr XTP custom is the best I've encountered) and see how it does. Also, have someone else shoot it. I always thought my .308 AR was lacking precision till I had someone else shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two 92a1's and they are both stupid accurate. 12" steel plate and 25 yards and a 24" steel plate at 100 yards. I can hit them all day long. I do have to aim slightly high and right. Look at your crown and see if it looks chipped or something. If not let others shoot it.
I work at a range and people complain every day their gun is the issue but I can shoot them fine.
Remember the fundamentals
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Second:
http://i61.tinypic.com/eg2s0n.gif
View Quote

There is no 3.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have a pistol that you can shoot tight groups with?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is no 3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second:

There is no 3.

It's C.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's C.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second:

There is no 3.

It's C.

That's what I meant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top