Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2016 9:35:31 AM EDT
Which one do you prefer?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both and have never had any problems with either.  The blued ones might need a little more tlc (little oil on the outside- only-  when cleaning).
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the ones with the anti friction coating .
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't buy phosphate mags, they're complete and utter garbage. I buy blued ones when they're on sale and less than $20 a piece. My go-to mags are the anti friction 18's with 17 rounds loaded into each one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as the phosphate is done correctly it's a better finish.   The mags the Navy Seals used for years were phosphated MecGar P226 and P239 mags.  the mags Beretta supplies to the military are phosphated.  Magazines don't get any better than those.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't buy phosphate mags, they're complete and utter garbage. I buy blued ones when they're on sale and less than $20 a piece. My go-to mags are the anti friction 18's with 17 rounds loaded into each one.
View Quote

False. And why only partially load the mag?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never seen a phosphate Mec-Gar magazine.  I've only come across Checkmate magazines with the phosphate finish.  Given that the anti-friction Mec-Gars are available for $19.99/ea at CDNN and frequently go on sale for less), I see no reason to ever buy anything else.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not an expert but here's what I understand:

Phosphate mags from Check-Mate are supposed to be more corrosion resistant in more humid climates but can trap the very fine dust found in Middle East and cause function issues. The Check-Mate and Mec-Gar anti friction mags are great mags. I would use any of them as long as you keep them clean (as you should anyway) and keep good springs in them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am not an expert but here's what I understand:

Phosphate mags from Check-Mate are supposed to be more corrosion resistant in more humid climates but can trap the very fine dust found in Middle East and cause function issues. The Check-Mate and Mec-Gar anti friction mags are great mags. I would use any of them as long as you keep them clean (as you should anyway) and keep good springs in them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This is very true.  The Check-Mates with the gray dry-lube are great mags after you put in a Wolff +5 or 10% spring.  Check-Mate would have a much better reputation if they didn't use such shitty springs.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, phosphate mags are total shit. They work fine at indoor ranges but once they're dirty they suck and they suck hard. The issued phosphate mags in service are being replaced with blued and anti/friction mags. I shouldn't have to disassemble a mag for cleaning after every range trip. I don't do it with Glock mags, never did it with Sig or 1911 mags so there's no plausible reason it should need done with Beretta mags. If you're training with a beretta and dropping mags into dirt/sand the phosphate mags will quickly get coated in that shit like shake N bake.

Anti/Friction mags exist for a reason. I only load with 17 as it's easier to seat in my A1 when the slides forward.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, phosphate mags are total shit. They work fine at indoor ranges but once they're dirty they suck and they suck hard. The issued phosphate mags in service are being replaced with blued and anti/friction mags. I shouldn't have to disassemble a mag for cleaning after every range trip. I don't do it with Glock mags, never did it with Sig or 1911 mags so there's no plausible reason it should need done with Beretta mags. If you're training with a beretta and dropping mags into dirt/sand the phosphate mags will quickly get coated in that shit like shake N bake.

Anti/Friction mags exist for a reason. I only load with 17 as it's easier to seat in my A1 when the slides forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you realize that it's been over ten years since Checkmate made a phosphated mag?  All the issued M11, Mk24/MK25 mags, and the revered factory Beretta M9 mags are all phosphated and they're fine because they use a different processes than what was spec'd on those early Checkmates. The Mec-Gar mags the OP is considering will have such a strong spring that they wouldn't have that issue anyway. Get a clue before spouting off false bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you realize that it's been over ten years since Checkmate made a phosphated mag?  All the issued M11, Mk24/MK25 mags, and the revered factory Beretta M9 mags are all phosphated and they're fine because they use a different processes than what was spec'd on those early Checkmates. The Mec-Gar mags the OP is considering will have such a strong spring that they wouldn't have that issue anyway. Get a clue before spouting off false bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's always some dipshit on Arfcom that can tell me the problems we encounter daily with magazines dont exist because something stopped happening 10 years ago.

They aren't all phophated, my newly issued beretta mags are blued. My coworker's still got checkmates with the flat metal baseplate. When you tell someone to get a clue, you ought to make real fucking sure they don't actually use the stuff you're discussing on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's always some dipshit on Arfcom that can tell me the problems we encounter daily with magazines dont exist because something stopped happening 10 years ago.

They aren't all phophated, my newly issued beretta mags are blued. My coworker's still got checkmates with the flat metal baseplate. When you tell someone to get a clue, you ought to make real fucking sure they don't actually use the stuff you're discussing on a daily basis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were the phosphated checkmate made recently or just old stock? I was in the Marine Corps security forces 13 years ago and used the old shitty ones and a newer better mag with a similar finish but worked fine. I will I had a camera phone back then. When I got the fleet all we had were the old shitty ones but I had managed to save a few of the good things thank God.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#14]
You guys are higher speed than we are. We get whatever is in our supply section. I have yet to see an anti friction coated mag aside from my personally bought ones.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
The old 15 round MecGar phosphate mags with the metal bottoms were great, IIRC they had an NSN.

The current 15 round MecGar Phosphate mags with the plastic floor plates have the same construction as the MecGar AFC mags with the exception of a bulge that limits their capacity to 15, and are GTG as well.  I used these exclusively in my 92G at one of Langdon's courses earlier this year and had no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top