Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2016 8:50:19 AM EDT
I have a 92FS with old trijicon night sights (dated 93), and called trijicon last year about a replacement/recharge.  They said submit an RMA, and they'll take care of it.  I finally got around to submitting the request yesterday, and this is the response I got back:
"We have received your request for a return
authorization however; we are unable to approve your request.  Please
see below for further information.

In accordance with Trijicon’s radiation safety
program and ALARA (As Low As Reasonably Achievable) contamination /
exposure principles, Trijicon will no longer be servicing Beretta Slides
that have fixed front sights and any other slide
that has fixed front sights.  

·        
Slides that are returned to Trijicon which
contain broken tritium sources and are deemed non-warrantable (e.g. due
to intentional damage, misuse, or warranty expiration) will be scrapped
and not be returned to the customer.

Additionally, Trijicon will no longer perform new
tritium source installation into firearms or pistol slides with integral
fixed sights.  This is intended to protect our customers from the
potential situation in which such a source could
become broken and not be repairable / returnable.  

Your understanding and cooperation in this matter is greatly appreciated."

Is this news to anyone else?  What other options do I have?

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
None.  This has been discussed on the Beretta forum extensively.  Tool Tech used to do this, but apparently they became concerned if a lamp broke your slide would become iradiated from the gas and it would be in the US Mail on the way back to you or in your possession.  What liability would this be to those companies, either Tool Tech or Trijicon?  Too much apparently.

I'm in the same boat.  Bought s M9A1 Compact that I wanted to have done, and now no options.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#2]
That stinks. I have one as well. I think we are going to need a bigger boat.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to have mine replaced as well. Beretta said call Trijicon. Trijicon said call Tooltech. Tooltech said they are no-go anymore. I emailed Trijicon and they sent me the same reply. I guess we are screwed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the only choice now is the slide on fronts that I think look terrible, or send it to Wilson, get it drilled and put a fiber optic in and a Trijicon in the rear sight.  Might give you something..?  I'm thinking about that for my compact.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
That sucks... I have a 92FS with factory night sights.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
They should have gone to 92A1-style slides twenty years ago. Having a fixed sight milled into the slide stock is an anachronism.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should have gone to 92A1-style Vertec slides twenty years ago. Having a fixed sight milled into the slide stock is an anachronism.
View Quote

You can drop a Vertec slide on a standard 92 frame; 92A1 is not backwards compatible.  This is one of the reasons the M9A3 is based off the Vertec and not the 92A1 or 90-Two.  Vertec slides also fit existing holsters for the 92 series.

But, yeah, totally agree that the fixed front sight is an anachronism.  I'd like to see Beretta make Vertec slides available for those 92 users who desire a front sight dovetail.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Trijicon can hug a nut, they could care less about us.  I avoid their product, save the HD sights cause they haven't been copied yet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In accordance with Trijicon’s radiation safety program and ALARA (As Low As Reasonably Achievable) contamination / exposure principles, Trijicon will no longer be servicing Beretta Slides that have fixed front sights and any other slide that has fixed front sights.  

·        Slides that are returned to Trijicon which contain broken tritium sources and are deemed non-warrantable (e.g. due to intentional damage, misuse, or warranty expiration) will be scrapped and not be returned to the customer.

View Quote

Oh good grief. It is a microscopic amount of tritium gas. You would think it was plutonium the way they are acting. Scrapping an entire slide because of a broken tritium capsule is absurd. The gas is already gone, it is not contaminating the slide itself, or posing any danger to anybody or anything. .  

So, is Trijicon compensating pistol owners for their destroyed pistols? This sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#10]
This is complete BS with the sheer number of fixed front Berettas.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh good grief. It is a microscopic amount of tritium gas. You would think it was plutonium the way they are acting. Scrapping an entire slide because of a broken tritium capsule is absurd. The gas is already gone, it is not contaminating the slide itself, or posing any danger to anybody or anything. .  

So, is Trijicon compensating pistol owners for their destroyed pistols? This sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In accordance with Trijicon’s radiation safety program and ALARA (As Low As Reasonably Achievable) contamination / exposure principles, Trijicon will no longer be servicing Beretta Slides that have fixed front sights and any other slide that has fixed front sights.  

·        Slides that are returned to Trijicon which contain broken tritium sources and are deemed non-warrantable (e.g. due to intentional damage, misuse, or warranty expiration) will be scrapped and not be returned to the customer.

I agree 100%, but some safety nazi has them and Tool Tech so worried over this we now can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#12]
You probably get more radiation from an xray than the gas that escapes if it broke. Someone probably just complained and they can no longer be shipped or who knows.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I called Tool Tech last month and spoke with the owners wife.  Tool Tech and  Trijicon had no choice.  The Nuclear Regulatory Commission stepped in and told them they could no longer put the vials  in front sight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Trijicon can hug a nut, they could care less about us.  I avoid their product, save the HD sights cause they haven't been copied yet.
View Quote

Ameriglo has their own version of HD sights in both 2 and 3 dot configurations.

Just an FYI
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Someone at th Beretta Forum called Trijicon. They claim they were told that they will relamp 92 slides with tritium that still glows... At least slightly. By that, they can tell th tritium is not leaking. No brightness at all, and they will not do it.

But, no way to do new installs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Someone at th Beretta Forum called Trijicon. They claim they were told that they will relamp 92 slides with tritium that still glows... At least slightly. By that, they can tell th tritium is not leaking. No brightness at all, and they will not do it.

But, no way to do new installs.
View Quote
Thank you!

I called to confirm, and submitted a new RMA request.  The tech said the lamps would be about $20 each to replace.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree 100%, but some safety nazi has them and Tool Tech so worried over this we now can't have nice things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many lawyers in this world.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too many government bureaucrats in this world!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thank you!
I called to confirm, and submitted a new RMA request.  
The tech said the lamps would be about $20 each to replace.  
View Quote

Now I need to check my 96 CENTURION to see if I have any glow-in-the-dark left there!
If so, then I'll contact Trijicon for relamping.  ( at least once ).

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:27:27 AM EDT
[#20]
So the only company willing to do night sights is a gazillion weeks on back log, and as such I have abandoned the idea of night sights on the 92FS.  I did, however, find a local gun smith willing to carve out a fiber optic front sight for a reasonable fee.  He's not taking any work until January, but he did say he could have it done in a day.  I'll get back to you guys with the results.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Wilson Combat will do fiber optic as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top